Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #91
Chesapeake Bill

North Carolina has a strong economy becasue they don't pay their workers squat. Where is the growth? The RTP (Research Traingle Park) area. in other parts of the state the situation is grave. Besides, is the 18.5% any different from any other oceanfront state? Additionally, how many of those people are government retirees moving there becasue their pensions are not taxed? As far as being terrible there, it is. Ask anyone in Caswell or Dare County. There are no jobs.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #92
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
North Carolina has a strong economy becasue they don't pay their workers squat. .
that's pretty funny
Old 03-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #93
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Y What is true is that many Americans came here for religious regions and you specifically stated it was for money.
I stated JAMESTOWN was for $. Any you said it was for gold. No religious freedom was involved in the Jamestown settlement. None. the original settlers were ex-vets of the Irish wars. They came to kill and conquer.

Read your older posts!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #94
scottw

read all of you posts again...yikes

BTW...RIJimmy is my dad...he's used to it...
Old 03-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #95
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yes, that's correct, I'm skipping school to enjoy this warped history lesson from an apparent lunatic hoping that it will lead somewhere...sometime, but I'm chuckling with each new post from you...please continue
I don't think RIJimmy is a lunatic, I think he just has some of the history confused. Stop calling him a lunatic

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #96
scottw

Quote:
I don't think RIJimmy is a lunatic, I think he just has some of the history confused. Stop calling him a lunatic
your humor is as vacant as your reasoning
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #97
Chesapeake Bill

Scott,

I think he's a lunatic. I suspect he fishes with as much passion as he writes on this board.

NC is one of four states that does not tax federal retirements. Much of the growth in that state has been retirees moving there so they can experience reduced taxes. As far as wages, outside of RTP workers do not make much. Look at the jobs that are offered on Monster and compare the salaries.

Anyway, you focused on one minute point rather than discuss the value (if you can call it that) that unions bring to a region. Don't get me wrong. I am not defending them. Merely pointing out how the economy changes as a result of their actions, often to the good of the citizens who are not represented (also often to the detriment especially when the jobs go offshore as in textiles).

Also, as a 14th generation dutchman who can trace his lineage to the 1640's in the Hudson Valley (and who also grew up just a stone's throw from Lancaster County) if you want to know about the "Penn's Woods Germans" I'd be happy to discuss. I agree that the history lesson is at best amusing.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #98
scottw

Quote:
Scott,

Anyway, you focused on one minute point rather than discuss the value (if you can call it that) that unions bring to a region. Don't get me wrong. I am not defending them. Merely pointing out how the economy changes as a result of their actions, often to the good of the citizens who are not represented (also often to the detriment especially when the jobs go offshore as in textiles).
seems to me that the highly unionized regions are all buckling from their inability to pay current union wages and benefits and in addition have no way to pay the unfunded obligations that have been promised, that includes some private sector unions as well, you can say that it was politicians that allowed this in the public sector but they were working in conjunction with union bosses, a cozy symbiotic relationship that resulted in reelection and protected status....whatever positive that you'd like to attribut to unions in the form of baseline wages?...the net is a huge loss that we will be feeling for some time...these same unions have actively advocated as a block and provided enormous amounts of funding for politicians who have expanded many of the other massive entitlements that threaten our future..."often to the good of the citizens who are not represented" those not represented will be paying the maxed out union credit card and all that it has purchased for a very long time...
Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #99
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Scott,

Also, as a 14th generation dutchman who can trace his lineage to the 1640's in the Hudson Valley (and who also grew up just a stone's throw from Lancaster County) if you want to know about the "Penn's Woods Germans" I'd be happy to discuss. I agree that the history lesson is at best amusing.
I'm in, always up for learning history.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #100
scottw

Bluest states also most in debt, highly unionized and solidly Democrat (But that's all coincidental, right?)

By: Mark Tapscott 02/28/10 4:00 AM
Editorial Page Editor Follow Him @mtapscott

.Forbes magazine has completed a comprehensive look at "The Global Debt Bomb" and in the course of compiling the results found this very interesting tidbit:

"The five states in the worst financial condition--Illinois, New York, Connecticut, California and New Jersey--are all among the bluest of blue states. The five most fiscally fit states are more of a mix. Three--Utah, Nebraska and Texas--boast Republican majorities and two--New Hampshire and Virginia--skew Democratic."

But wait, it's actually more serious than that when you look at the 10 states in the worst financial condition, according to Forbes:

"Of the 10 states in the worst financial condition, eight are among a total of 23 defined by Gallup as "solidly Democratic," meaning the Democrats enjoy an advantage of 10 percentage points or greater in party affiliation. These states include the ones listed above as making up the bottom five, plus Massachusetts, Ohio and Wisconsin.

"Of the three other basement-dwellers, Kentucky is defined as "leaning Democratic" (a five- to 10-percentage-point Democratic advantage) and the remaining two--Louisiana and Mississippi--are termed politically "Competitive" (less than a five-percentage-point advantage for either party). Louisiana tilts slightly Democratic and Mississippi slightly Republican."

Forbes quotes an Illinois political science professor who explains why these rankings turn out as they do:

"Why do Democratic states appear to be struggling more than Republican ones? It comes down to stronger unions and a larger appetite for public programs, according to Kent Redfield, professor emeritus of political studies and public affairs at the University of Illinois' Center for State Policy and Leadership.

"'Unions in general have more influence in Democratic-controlled states,' he says. 'This isn't to say that unions are bad, but where they're strong you have bigger demands for social services and coalitions with construction companies, road builders and others that push up debt.'"

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Bluest states also most in debt, highly unionized and solidly Democrat (But that's all coincidental, right?) | Mark Tapscott | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner
Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #101
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Scott,

I think he's a lunatic. .
are you not following Zimmy's posts? He puts in incorrect info, I correct him and he goes on off on a tangent. heres a quick recap

Zimmy stated:

our country's 400 yr history.
- makes no sense. plenty of evidence above

Jamestown was founded on "principles"
- nope, business venture. Zim as agreed after 20 posts.

The Pennsylvania Dutch came here for religious freedom
- nope, thats like saying the massachusetts indians. No one was in another country and called themselves that. If he said dutch, germans or whatever, then it would make sense.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #102
zimmy

Quote:
Then you don't believe that the principles that brought people here are the basis of our country and the roots of our country lead back to Jamestown, I can't argue with that.
Compound sentence genius. Your private school ed. was a waste of money. The principles that brought people here are the basis of our country. The countries roots lead back to Jamestown. You can try to distort, but it don'w work.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #103
Chesapeake Bill

Scott,

Read my entire post. I'm not trying ot defend unions. I'm merely stating how they have changed economies...both good and bad. I can't argue that they have gone overboard in many states and companies. I can argue that in the states where unions had strongholds (meaning contracts) the prevailing wage was higher--for good or bad. I say good or bad becasue sometimes having a higher wage is bad. An example is my state where they seem to not want any business base and to make that point they keep taxing us as if the last one just left.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #104
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
The Pennsylvania Dutch came here for religious freedom
- nope, thats like saying the massachusetts indians.
I was gonna stay away, but the funniest friggin thing is the Massachusetts Indians were part of the Wampanoag tribe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying Massachusetts Indians This is certainly enlightening stuff

Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #105
scottw

Quote:
I was gonna stay away, but the funniest friggin thing is the . This is certainly enlightening stuff
nope....this was the funniest friggin thing and also the most absurd...

"Again, all these issues are really complex.
Also, based on policies, Reagan would be a democrat today, not tea party
. "ZIMMY

don't stay away Zimmy, you and Jimmy have developed some real chemistry...

Last edited by scottw; 03-12-2011 at 05:07 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #106
scottw

Quote:
Scott,

Read my entire post. I'm not trying ot defend unions. I'm merely stating how they have changed economies...both good and bad. I can't argue that they have gone overboard in many states and companies. I can argue that in the states where unions had strongholds (meaning contracts) the prevailing wage was higher--for good or bad. I say good or bad becasue sometimes having a higher wage is bad. An example is my state where they seem to not want any business base and to make that point they keep taxing us as if the last one just left.
I did and I understand, I'm just not willing to grant unions in the modern era, credit for "lifting all boats"...they may have served a purpose long ago but the have worked in their own interest and in most cases to the detrement of those who are not in unions, they have chiseled out sections of the economy and used those entities, whether government or private business as their own hosts on which to feed, the union corporate structures are large bureaucratic machines that use the political system and thug tactics to increase revenue and membership while producing nothing more than preferential treatment for it's members and political donations for their tools in government....whatever positives this society and economy has derived from union actions are far outweighed by the massive debt that we now find hanging over our heads in order to accomodate and placate what is a relatively small segment of our society that whields tremendous influence ....which is obvious if you look at the various state capitols and the actual amount of $$$ that went from the stimulus directly to keep union members employed for the last two years

Last edited by scottw; 03-12-2011 at 06:36 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #107
scottw

UNIONS THREATEN BUSINESS
By Charlie Sykes
Mar 10, 2011

March 10, 2011
Mr. Tom Ellis, President
Marshall & Ilsley Corporation
770 N. Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
SENT VIA FASCIMILE AND REGULAR MAIL

Dear Mr. Ellis:
As you undoubtedly know, Governor Walker recently proposed a “budget
adjustment bill” to eviscerate public employees’ right to collectively bargain in
Wisconsin. ..

As you also know, Scott Walker did not campaign on this issue when he ran for
office. If he had, we are confident that you would not be listed among his largest
contributors. As such, we are contacting you now to request your support.

The undersigned groups would like your company to publicly oppose Governor
Walker’s efforts to virtually eliminate collective bargaining for public employees in
Wisconsin. While we appreciate that you may need some time to consider this
request, we ask for your response by March 17. In the event that you do not
respond to this request by that date, we will assume that you stand with
Governor Walker and against the teachers, nurses, police officers, fire fighters,
and other dedicated public employees who serve our communities.

In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining,
please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the
goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will
do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to
preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table.
Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and
fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that
ideal.

In the event you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the
executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, Jim Palmer,
at 608.273.3840.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from
you soon.

James L. Palmer, Executive Director
Wisconsin Professional Police Association
Mahlon Mitchell,President
Professional Professional Fire Fighters
Jim Conway, President
International Association of Fire Fighters Local 311
John Matthews, Execuctive Director
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Keith Patt, Executive Director
Green Bay Education Association
Bob Richardson, President
Dane County Deputy Sheriffs Association
Dan Frei, Prersident
Madison Professional Police Officers Association
Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #108
Chesapeake Bill

Police and Fire are excluded. Why would they sign on the letter? Where is the original with signatures to give some credibility to the letter?

I never said tehy "lifted the boat." I said they caused change. Not all unions are large evil McDonald type conglomerates that you portait. Many work closely with their management to find solutions to economic problems and even take concessions when times are tough. Its easy to put everyone in one basket so you can hate them. That seems to be the christian thing to do--then we can crucify the infidels or burn them at the stake.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #109
scottw

Quote:
Police and Fire are excluded. Why would they sign on the letter? Where is the original with signatures to give some credibility to the letter? you doubt this?

I never said tehy "lifted the boat." I said they caused change. Not all unions are large evil McDonald...who is evil McDonald? type conglomerates that you portait. Many work closely with their management to find solutions to economic problems and even take concessions when times are tough. Its easy to put everyone in one basket so you can hate them. hate? if you want to see hate just look at your union bretheren and their cohorts around the country That seems to be the christian thing to do--then we can crucify the infidels or burn them at the stake. huh?
I think you went a bit off the thracks there Bill
Old 03-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #110
zimmy

Quote:
nope....this was the funniest friggin thing and also the most absurd...

"Again, all these issues are really complex.
Also, based on policies, Reagan would be a democrat today, not tea party
. "ZIMMY

don't stay away Zimmy, you and Jimmy have developed some real chemistry...
hey DN, how many times did he raise taxes? What did he do with illegal immigrants? Department of veterans affairs? Then how about JHWB? Raised taxes. JWB- huge expansion. You really are not very competent with your arguments.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #111
spence

Quote:
hey DN, how many times did he raise taxes? What did he do with illegal immigrants? Department of veterans affairs? Then how about JHWB? Raised taxes. JWB- huge expansion. You really are not very competent with your arguments.
Wow, this thread really took off. I need to travel less

Zimmy, I think you're missing the point about Reagan. His personal philosophy certainly wouldn't have allowed him to "call" himself a Democrat.

That being said, as you've noted Reagan's actual behavior was quite different from the image most people have. He had no problem raising taxes, running from a fight, increasing the size of government and our national debt, working deals with our enemies and on and on...

Oddly enough, Reagan seems to be the most significant figure aspiring Republican candidates want to emulate.

He did tell a great story and make us feel good though...

-spence
Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #112
scottw

apparently Spence has at least one neighbor in bizarro world

JHWB...JWB...???

never mind..I Googled it..."Just Handshakes We're British"...still confused ......but OK...you are the smart one

Last edited by scottw; 03-12-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #113
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Hooked on Phonics...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #114
scottw

Quote:
Scott,

NC is one of four states that does not tax federal retirements. Much of the growth in that state has been retirees moving there so they can experience reduced taxes.
businessfacilities.com 2010 state rankings

Economic Growth Potential
1. South Carolina
2. Tennessee
3. Virginia
4. North Carolina
5. Texas
6. Arizona

Best Business Climate
1. Texas
2. Virginia
3. Utah
4. South Carolina
5. Tennessee
6. North Carolina

Workforce Training Leaders
1. Louisiana
2. Georgia
3. New Mexico
4. Florida
5. North Carolina

probably as a result of all of those retirees moving there for tax reasons those southern states are a disaster

10/15/10 - North Carolina ranked 3rd by Forbes for Best States for Business

Gov. Bev Perdue on Oct. 14 announced Forbes magazine is ranking North Carolina as the 3rd Best State for Business in America. North Carolina improved from last year’s Forbes ranking of fifth. In addition, the Governor announced that recent statistics from the Federal Bureau of Labor and Statistics show North Carolina is the 3rd best state for declining unemployment and 4th in the nation for job creation.

In the Forbes rankings, North Carolina scored third in Business Costs and Regulatory Environment and ninth in Growth Prospect. Forbes scored the states on six measures including business cost, labor supply, regulatory environment, economic climate, growth prospect and quality of life.

let's see...North Carolina...or Michigan, RI...etc...?

Last edited by scottw; 03-12-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #115
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wow, this thread really took off. I need to travel less

Zimmy, I think you're missing the point about Reagan. His personal philosophy certainly wouldn't have allowed him to "call" himself a Democrat.

That being said, as you've noted Reagan's actual behavior was quite different from the image most people have. He had no problem raising taxes, running from a fight, increasing the size of government and our national debt, working deals with our enemies and on and on...

Oddly enough, Reagan seems to be the most significant figure aspiring Republican candidates want to emulate.

He did tell a great story and make us feel good though...

-spence
You are right. I specified that his policies would make him a democrat. But you are right, he wouldn't affiliate with the democratic party. Tea party would not like his policies, though. The new members of the Republic party would not like his policies. Way too liberal.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #116
zimmy

Quote:
apparently Spence has at least one neighbor in bizarro world

JHWB...JWB...???

never mind..I Googled it..."Just Handshakes We're British"...still confused ......but OK...you are the smart one
that actually comes from a skit about the spanish channels. El Presidente Jorge Boooosh is apparently how their names were said.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #117
scottw

Quote:
that actually comes from a skit about the spanish channels. El Presidente Jorge Boooosh is apparently how their names were said.
sure....
Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #118
Chesapeake Bill

Quote:
I think you went a bit off the thracks there Bill
First, If you read previous posts you can see that I am not pro or anti union. In many cases they are just as greedy as large corporations and the leaders who run them. I consider McD's a large greedy corporation. A corporation that supports leaders only to gain favors such as exemptions from health care. Given their options they would pay their employees garbage. You can't blame them. They are capitalists. The same way you can't blame people for wanting more wages and benefits. Each uses the tactics they feel will get them to that end. Look at the NFL and the "union" (if you can call it that). Both are positioning to gain maximum economic advantage regardless of what they bring to the table.

Secondly, you fail to address the point that not all unions are bad. Nowhere did I try and defend the union activists any more than I tried to defend the governor. My personal opinion is that both sides are so polarized it really does not matter what anyone thinks.

Third, you keep throwing stats on North Carolina that show it has business potential. Why would I argue that. If you allow businesses to run rampant over their employees and give them lots of tax breaks of course it will look as though it is a great place to go as a business. I didn't see a stat that showed it was a leader in job development (just potential).

Your turn to continue gathering the lions...
Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #119
scottw

Quote:

Third, you keep throwing stats on North Carolina that show it has business potential. I didn't see a stat that showed it was a leader in job development (just potential).

Federal Bureau of Labor and Statistics show North Carolina is the 3rd best state for declining unemployment and 4th in the nation for job creation...

this is getting boring....reading is fundamental
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #120
Chesapeake Bill

Yep, You aren't changing my opinion and I'm not changing yours. Time to move on... See ya..