Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Convention speakers

The GOP convention will feature governors Scott Walker (WI) and John Kasich (OH). These 2 governors will explain how they inherited horrible messes from their predecessors, implemented conservative economic principles, and can point to data that irrefutably shows that those principles are working (these states have lowered taxes, created jobs, and decreased debt).

On the other side, the Democrtatic convention will have Sandra Fluke and Eva Longoria screaming about their desire for free condoms.

Compare the lineup of speakers at each convention. The GOP will have govs Jindal, Christie, and Haley. The Dems have the presidents of NARAL and Planned Parenthood? Oh, and Caroline Kennedy, who has done nothing with her life except trade on her inherited royal status. The GOP will show actual, hard data to suggest that conservative ideas work when implemented. The Democrats' message will be that my side hates women. That's what Obama is hanging his hat on. And it could very well work.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Eva Longoria screaming about their desire for free condoms.

mmmmmmmm, I may have to change my political affiliation.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
spence

Scott Walker balanced the WI budget largely by borrowing money. Ohio's job growth was largely fueled by infrastructure spending (a lot of industrial equipment) and more importantly the auto bail out.

If these are fact based conservative policies they should make for interesting speakers.

-spence
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Scott Walker balanced the WI budget largely by borrowing money. Ohio's job growth was largely fueled by infrastructure spending (a lot of industrial equipment) and more importantly the auto bail out.

If these are fact based conservative policies they should make for interesting speakers.

-spence
OK, Spence. So WI and OH turned things around by having the government borrow and spend more. Got it.

Spence, if that's true (and of course it's not), why has that approach faired so poorly in CT, MA, RI, and Washington DC?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
OK, Spence. So WI and OH turned things around by having the government borrow and spend more. Got it.

Spence, if that's true (and of course it's not), why has that approach faired so poorly in CT, MA, RI, and Washington DC?
Different situations.

Ohio has benefited from a recovering auto industry of which there's little supply chain in the north east. Ohio also does have a lot of heavy manufacturing which has rebounded well with international infrastructure development and stimulus spending domestically.

Walker certainly did cut some costs, but I believe he's also diverted banking settlement money into the general fund and borrowed $500M to restructure WI debt.

The point being, you can't just say short-term policy has led to growth or stability when there are a number of factors at play...many of which could be geographic or dealing with larger trends.

-spence
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Different situations.

Ohio has benefited from a recovering auto industry of which there's little supply chain in the north east. Ohio also does have a lot of heavy manufacturing which has rebounded well with international infrastructure development and stimulus spending domestically.

Walker certainly did cut some costs, but I believe he's also diverted banking settlement money into the general fund and borrowed $500M to restructure WI debt.

The point being, you can't just say short-term policy has led to growth or stability when there are a number of factors at play...many of which could be geographic or dealing with larger trends.

-spence
"Ohio also does have a lot of heavy manufacturing which has rebounded well with international infrastructure development"

Spence, please share with us the data that says that infastrusture spending is drivingthe Ohio recovery? What have they done there?

We haven't donemuch infastructure spending. Much of the stimulus money went to public labor unions. I don't see how that helps manufacturing.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Don't forget Haley Barbour busting all the unions down there. Using her high heels as weapons in political battles
Nice cheap southern wages with no workers rights
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Don't forget Haley Barbour busting all the unions down there. Using her high heels as weapons in political battles
Haley Barbour wears high heels
Old 08-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Yep you seen him run down the street in red ruby high heels!

Actually it was Nikki Haley
Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
Yep you seen him run down the street in red ruby high heels!

Actually it was Nikki Haley
thought you had a scoop for a minute there
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
thought you had a scoop for a minute there
If Haley Barbour wore high heels, that would necessarily make him a Democrat...

Just saw Mia Love speak at the convention...black, female, republican mayor in Utah, running for Congress, her parents were Haitian immigrants. Awesome story. She might not be able to top Eva Longoria, I'm sure, but still impressive...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Those workers have at least one right...the right to go work somplace else if they don't like the low wages offered in the public sector...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Those workers have at least one right...the right to go work somplace else if they don't like the low wages offered in the public sector...
I'm talking private sector jobs Jim
Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:
I was unaware that South Carolina has no workers rights
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
I was unaware that South Carolina has no workers rights
no lunch break, no vacation or sick leave. Employers may decrease an employees salary with seven days notice. Employees can be terminated without reason or notice
Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:
no lunch break, no vacation or sick leave. Employers may decrease an employees salary with seven days notice. Employees can be terminated without reason or notice
well.....

"there are no requirements under South Carolina law forcing an employer to give an employee a lunch break. Employees may also be fired without a specific reason, as long as it's not an illegal reason, and are not guaranteed "benefits" such as paid days off, sick days or paid vacation days. Employers can also decrease employees' payment if they notify them in writing seven calendar days before the decrease."

I really don't see a problem with these...I'm pretty sure that workers in SC have "rights", these aren't really "rights", more like employer burdens that government may impose on employers in other states, workers have the option("right") not to work where employers do not pay for lunch breaks, days off, sick days,vacation days and can hold you accountable for your performance..you might be confusing "rights" and "benefits" in many cases.....maybe you meant Mississippi?

Last edited by scottw; 08-29-2012 at 04:53 AM..
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm talking private sector jobs Jim
What 'rights' don't those workers have?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Employees can be terminated without reason or notice
That's what every private sector worker in the nation lives with. Your 'job security' lies with making sure your boss knows that he is better off with you than he is without you.

And there needs to be a legal reason to fire someone, or the company gets sued.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
What 'rights' don't those workers have?
rights to government mandated benefits....sometimes referred to as entitlements..most of the instances he cited involved getting paid when you aren't actually working....
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
rights to government mandated benefits....sometimes referred to as entitlements..most of the instances he cited involved getting paid when you aren't actually working....
There is a 'mystery speaker' on the schedule for Thursday night at the convention. Maybe Sarah Palin or General Petrayus?

I thought Ann Romney was awesome (better than some angry jerk who says she's never been proud of her country), and I thought Chris Christie was pretty good.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
There is a 'mystery speaker' on the schedule for Thursday night at the convention. Maybe Sarah Palin or General Petrayus?

I thought Ann Romney was awesome (better than some angry jerk who says she's never been proud of her country), and I thought Chris Christie was pretty good.

It's going to be nice to have a lady in the white house instead of that we have now.
I thought Ann was great.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
It's going to be nice to have a lady in the white house instead of that we have now.
I thought Ann was great.
You and Jim are both very classy!

I did hear part of Christie's speech. He didn't mention that he didn't want to be Romney's VP b/c he didn't think he could win and that NJ's unemployment rate was higher than when he took over and that their rev. is down even thought he promised it would be up due to tax cuts.

Didn't the Ohio governor take credit for the Ohio recovery even though both he and Romney were against the auto bailout.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Didn't the Ohio governor take credit for the Ohio recovery even though both he and Romney were against the auto bailout.
That doesn't matter. Only 1:10 (or was it 1:8?) Jobs in Ohio are related to auto industry in some way.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
Fly Rod

They were all great speakers...
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
They were all great speakers...
Yup, refreshing. Good to hear people who are inspiring, not dividing everyone
into a group or class.

With Christie, what you see is what you get. Nobodies lunch meat, see and admit the tough problems and get them fixed. Musta scared some people.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
You and Jim are both very classy!

I did hear part of Christie's speech. He didn't mention that he didn't want to be Romney's VP b/c he didn't think he could win and that NJ's unemployment rate was higher than when he took over and that their rev. is down even thought he promised it would be up due to tax cuts.

"He didn't mention that he didn't want to be Romney's VP b/c he didn't think he could win..."

PaulS, I didn't know you were privvy to those discussions. That's pure speculation. But I'm stating fact when I say that Michelle said she wasn't proud of her country.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
PaulS

Most of all of our postings are speculation, conjecture, falsehoods, hyperbole and outright distortions

Last edited by PaulS; 08-29-2012 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: I forgot hyperbole. How could I ever forget hyperbole?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Most of all of our postings are speculation, conjecture, falsehoods, hyperbole and outright distortions
Michelle Obama said she was not proud of her country until her hubby got the nomination. That's fact.

You said Christie turned down the VP slot because he thought Romney couldn't win. That's made up jibberish.

If you want to categorize yourself as guilty of falsehoods and distortions, I agree with you, that's what you do. Please refrain from lumping others into that categorization.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #29
Raider Ronnie

[QUOTE=PaulS;956083]You and Jim are both very classy!

Us classy ?
Last time I checked no other 1st lady was a guest editor for a smutt magazine as was reported fat ass Michelle is doing.
Classy 1st lady !

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
Raider Ronnie

Today the liberal media is all over her calling Ann Ronmey a Corporate wife.
I'll take the corporate wife over the gimme handouts her whole life wife.