Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Planned Parenthood

is doing more good for the pro-life movement, than anything I have seen in my lifetime. It keeps getting more and more disgusting.

Funny, the pro-abortion folks are decrying the fact that the videos were undercover. Isn't that the point, to get people to be more honest than they would be at a press conference? When someone secretly recorded Romney making a stupid statement about 47% not wanting to work, no one had any complaints about how the footage was obtained.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Nebe

I'm pro choice, but I will say I was very saddened to hear what that lady had to say.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I'm pro choice, but I will say I was very saddened to hear what that lady had to say.
I think there are multiple ladies on tape now. The callousness is something.

My bet is Congress votes to de-fund these ghouls, and Obama will veto it. He's never met an unborn baby who deserves anything other than a meat cleaver. As a state senator in Illinois, he twice blocked legislation that would have made it illegal for mothers to kill babies after they were born alive. If that sounds shocking to you, read it again, then look it up. It was called the Born Alive Infants Protection Act, and he worked to kill it, letting mothers continue to kill babies who were born alive, and who were outside the womb. That's our POTUS! Hooray for us.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
spence

So far I haven't seen any evidence any laws were broken, just some cold discussion of a subject that's difficult for most people to hear. The Govt budgets 76 million a year for fetal tissue research, Planned Parenthood isn't the only organization involved...

It's also worth remembering that the vast majority of Planned Parenthood's services (97%) are NOT abortion and the vast majority of those abortions are early and wouldn't likely even result in tissue available for research.

Also, Obama was pretty clear that his lack of support for the IL state BAIPA had nothing to do with limiting rights outside of the womb, it was that he didn't want the bill to be used as a political/legal tool to restrict women's rights inside the womb.

For all your ranting about cleaver wielding ghouls, the reality is more like cancer screening for poor women and new treatments for disease.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So far I haven't seen any evidence any laws were broken, just some cold discussion of a subject that's difficult for most people to hear. The Govt budgets 76 million a year for fetal tissue research, Planned Parenthood isn't the only organization involved...

It's also worth remembering that the vast majority of Planned Parenthood's services (97%) are NOT abortion and the vast majority of those abortions are early and wouldn't likely even result in tissue available for research.

Also, Obama was pretty clear that his lack of support for the IL state BAIPA had nothing to do with limiting rights outside of the womb, it was that he didn't want the bill to be used as a political/legal tool to restrict women's rights inside the womb.

For all your ranting about cleaver wielding ghouls, the reality is more like cancer screening for poor women and new treatments for disease.

nauseating beyond words....but when has Spence not defended the indefensible?.......... par for the course
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
nauseating beyond words....but when has Spence not defended the indefensible?.......... par for the course
Did you say something?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Did you say something?
Selective hearing.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:

You don't see any evidence, because you don't (or can't, beats me) see that which doesn't support The Narrative. You don't concede ICE has any legal standing to detain illegal aliens.

And if Obama's concern about the bill was that someone could widen the scope to include abortion restrictions, why the hell didn't he write a law that made killing living babies illegal, yet kept abortion legal? He's supposed to be a somewhat talented legislator, correct? Obviously, he wasn't all that bothered by what was happening, because he did exactly zilch to stop it and at the risk of sounding like The Dad Fisherman, try making that wrong, please.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You don't see any evidence, because you don't (or can't, beats me) see that which doesn't support The Narrative. You don't concede ICE has any legal standing to detain illegal aliens.
So what's the evidence that PP is profiting from a systemic scheme to trade in fetal tissue?

ICE has the authority to detain illegal aliens, nobody ever said they don't. That's not the issue, the problem is that ICE detainers unless accompanied by a warrant are simply a request. Just because it comes from a Federal agency doesn't mean it trumps local procedures...it's a fuzzy part of the law that should be corrected with more comprehensive reform.

Quote:
And if Obama's concern about the bill was that someone could widen the scope to include abortion restrictions, why the hell didn't he write a law that made killing living babies illegal, yet kept abortion legal? He's supposed to be a somewhat talented legislator, correct? Obviously, he wasn't all that bothered by what was happening, because he did exactly zilch to stop it and at the risk of sounding like The Dad Fisherman, try making that wrong, please.
Is this even a big problem to begin with or just politically motivated legislation?

The irony of all this outrage is that if conservatives are successful in de-funding Planned Parenthood the number of abortions in the country is going to skyrocket...
Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
So what's the evidence that PP is profiting from a systemic scheme to trade in fetal tissue?

Makes no difference whether they are making a profit or not, it's just plain inhuman and wrong.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Makes no difference whether they are making a profit or not, it's just plain inhuman and wrong.
Well, it makes a big difference under the law. If there's scientific gain and enough control to prevent abuse then I wouldn't say it's inhuman and wrong, but it certainly falls into an ethical gray area that should be taken very seriously.

But if you're pro-life the argument is moot anyway.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
So far I haven't seen any evidence any laws were broken, .
Again, what you see, tends to depend upon the issue you are advocating.

Federal law requires that no alteration in the timing or method of abortion be done for the purposes of fetal tissue collection (42 U.S.C. 289g-1).

Tell me that the videos don't suggest that this federal law was broken.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:40 AM   #13
scottw

excellent article http://www.nationalreview.com/node/422048/print
Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
Again, what you see, tends to depend upon the issue you are advocating.

Federal law requires that no alteration in the timing or method of abortion be done for the purposes of fetal tissue collection (42 U.S.C. 289g-1).

Tell me that the videos don't suggest that this federal law was broken.
The videos are heavily edited, they suggest what the editors want them to suggest.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Yes, researchers will pay 20K for fetal stem cells just because they're "curious" and "hopeful."
Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
The videos are heavily edited, they suggest what the editors want them to suggest.
Shocker.

Is it not enough for an investigation, Spence? The lady from Planned Parenthood, in the most recently released video, clearly says that abortion procedures are manipulated to maximize the harvestable tissue.

Spence, when a liberal group released the video of Romney's idiotic remark about 47% of Americans not wanting to work, were you equally concerned about how the footage was obtained? Or are you selective about when you apply this concern?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes, researchers will pay 20K for fetal stem cells just because they're "curious" and "hopeful."
Yes, they will. Because as of this moment, nothing of any significance has come from that research.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #18
Nebe

Elizabeth warren had quite the speech yesterday for republicans on this. Ouch!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
Yes, they will. Because as of this moment, nothing of any significance has come from that research.
Why, because someone posted a single biased article stating so? Is that how you form opinions?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Wrong. Her speech was dishoinest at the core. She claims that Republicans are attacking women's health. I can prove that's not true.

In the proposed bills that would de-fund Planned Parenthood, the bill specifically says that the money that would be denied to Planned Parenthood, would go to other organizations that provide reporductive health services, but which aren't in th ebusiness of harvesting dead babies for profit, which you yourself said was didsappointing.

So how, exactly, are the republicans attacking women's health, if they still propose to fund it to the same level? They just don't want taxpayer dollars to go to subsidize an organiuzation that's ghoulish.

Elizabeth Warren is as bad as it gets. She made a fortune flipping foreclosed houses, yet she attacks banks for making money off the poor and vulnerable. She attacks colleges for being too expensive, yet she had no quarrel with making $45ok a year to teach at Harvard Law. And she lied about being a Native american to get that job.

Politics aside, she is absolutely everything that is wrong with politicians. She has no shame.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why, because someone posted a single biased article stating so? Is that how you form opinions?
No, I knew that before Scott W posted it. Charles Krauthammer (a Harvard-trained physician who is also in a wheelchair, so he stands to gain much from some of this research) has written at length about it. Google it. There have been no significant medical treatments due to embryonic stem cells. They may be promising, but as of today, they haven't delivered anything.

Also, why aren't the Planned {Parenthood videos, which clearly show executives stating that they are in the practice of altering abortion procedures to maximize harvestable tissue, enough to launch an investigation to see if that's exactly what's happening.

Soence, if there was a video of the head of HR at Goldman Sachs saying "I have never hired a black person at this firm, and I never will, i don't care what the law says", would you call for an investigation? Or would you assume that the video was edited, and leave it at that? Hmm?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes, I just watched "quite the speech". She said that she can't believe that in 2015, the US Senate would spend its time defunding "women's health".

Boy, to believe her, those mean Republlicans must really, really hate women. Right?

Wrong. As I said, the bill to de-fund Planned Parenthood calls to transfer that money to other women's health organizations who, unlike Planned Parenthood, aren't in the business of trafficking in baby organs. So the Republicans are not defunding "women's health", they are defunding one, single, morally reprehensible organiation.

Warren can speak so dishonestly, because she is assured that the zombies that support her will not question her, nor will they listen to a syllable that the other side has to say. She is disgusting.

The Senate bill doe snot reduce funding for women's health by one cent. The bill was also sponsored by Senator Joni Ernst from Iowa, who is a woman. So if this is a war on women, why is a woman leading the charge?

Nebe, doesn't that piss you off that Warren would do these things, and ask you to support her? And Hilary did the same exact thing.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-05-2015 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
Shocker.

The lady from Planned Parenthood, in the most recently released video, clearly says that abortion procedures are manipulated to maximize the harvestable tissue.
so what exactly does that mean? It could mean they try to make sure there are organs to provide for research (of which she clearly stated that they don't make $ off of regardless of how the right is trying to spin the videos).

Spence, when a liberal group released the video of Romney's idiotic remark about 47% of Americans not wanting to work, were you equally concerned about how the footage was obtained? Or are you selective about when you apply this concern?
Totally different - Romney's comment was taped by someone working as a bartender at that event - Not by someone using the sleazy tactics of Breitbart who out and out lies about who he is and represents (of which I'm not so sure is bad).

It is funny watching you state that liberals hate how the video was obtained yet it is conserv. controlled state legisl. who have been passing laws prohibiting people from taking undercover video of farms and slaughter houses.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
I thought I read a few months ago that some blind or nearly blind people had their vision restored from the implanting of embryonic (sp) stem cells. I could be wrong.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Totally different - Romney's comment was taped by someone working as a bartender at that event - Not by someone using the sleazy tactics of Breitbart who out and out lies about who he is and represents (of which I'm not so sure is bad).

It is funny watching you state that liberals hate how the video was obtained yet it is conserv. controlled state legisl. who have been passing laws prohibiting people from taking undercover video of farms and slaughter houses.
"so what exactly does that mean? It could mean they try to make sure there are organs to provide for research (of which she clearly stated that they don't make $ off of regardless of how the right is trying to spin the videos)."

The law says that it's a crime to alter an abortion procedure for th epurposes of maximizing harvestable tissue. The law doesn't care if the tissue is to be used for scientific reserach or for a sandwich. The $$ is another law, which says you can cover your expenses, but not make a profit.

"Romney's comment was taped by someone working as a bartender at that event - Not by someone using the sleazy tactics of Breitbart "

Splitting hairs. Undercover videos are used to get people to say things they wouldn't say if they knew they were being recorded. Common sense suggests that people will be more honest and sincere, if they don't know they are being recorded. Sometomes, that's the only way to get the truth.

Some liberal jerk called Governor Scott Walker a couple of years ago, claiming to be one of the Koch Brothers, and Walker said some things that he wouldn't have said if he knew it was a set-up, and I don't recall people on the left complaining about how the footage was obtained. Fabulously, Walker did mention it that conversation that he's not concerned about MSNBC because nobody watches it.

"funny watching you state that liberals hate how the video was obtained "

I'm not just stating it, it's true. You yourself decried how the video was obtained.

"t is conserv. controlled state legisl. who have been passing laws prohibiting people from taking undercover video of farms and slaughter houses"

I'm 100% in favor of such undercover videos. While i love a bloody steak, I also believe we have a responsibility to treat the animals as humanely and ethically as is reasonably feasible. Fair enough?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
I thought I read a few months ago that some blind or nearly blind people had their vision restored from the implanting of embryonic (sp) stem cells. I could be wrong.
I googled it and didn't see anything, but I could be wrong too.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
you state that liberals hate how the video was obtained yet it is conserv. controlled state legisl. who have been passing laws prohibiting people from taking undercover video of farms and slaughter houses.
You are correct on this by the way, and it's disgraceful. I went to high school with, and played tennis with, Wayne Pacelle, who is President of the Humane Society of the United States, and a great guy. I love animals Paul, love them, and you bring up a good point here, and one of the rare issues on which I side with the liberals (death penalty, gay marriage being the others).
Old 08-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
"so what exactly does that mean? It could mean they try to make sure there are organs to provide for research (of which she clearly stated that they don't make $ off of regardless of how the right is trying to spin the videos)."

The law says that it's a crime to alter an abortion procedure for th epurposes of maximizing harvestable tissue. The law doesn't care if the tissue is to be used for scientific reserach or for a sandwich. The $$ is another law, which says you can cover your expenses, but not make a profit.
I'm not saying the procedure was altered I'm saying that maybe instead of just ripping the fetus apart, they are more carefull - disgusting, I know and meant it that way.
"Romney's comment was taped by someone working as a bartender at that event - Not by someone using the sleazy tactics of Breitbart "

Splitting hairs. Undercover videos are used to get people to say things they wouldn't say if they knew they were being recorded. Common sense suggests that people will be more honest and sincere, if they don't know they are being recorded. Sometomes, that's the only way to get the truth. i'm gonna disagree that it is splitting hairs. and I did say that I'm not sure I disagree with the tactic.

Some liberal jerk called Governor Scott Walker a couple of years ago, claiming to be one of the Koch Brothers, and Walker said some things that he wouldn't have said if he knew it was a set-up, and I don't recall people on the left complaining about how the footage was obtained. Fabulously, Walker did mention it that conversation that he's not concerned about MSNBC because nobody watches it.I'd consider that the almost the same as the PP video but the same as working at a farm and pulling a camera out and filing the mistreatment of an animal.

"funny watching you state that liberals hate how the video was obtained "

I'm not just stating it, it's true. You yourself decried how the video was obtained. I don't think I stated it the way you just implied I did."t is conserv. controlled state legisl. who have been passing laws prohibiting people from taking undercover video of farms and slaughter houses"

I'm 100% in favor of such undercover videos. While i love a bloody steak, I also believe we have a responsibility to treat the animals as humanely and ethically as is reasonably feasible. Fair enough?
nm

Last edited by PaulS; 08-05-2015 at 02:50 PM..
Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #29
PaulS

Quote:
You are correct on this by the way, and it's disgraceful. I went to high school with, and played tennis with, Wayne Pacelle, who is President of the Humane Society of the United States, and a great guy. I love animals Paul, love them, and you bring up a good point here, and one of the rare issues on which I side with the liberals (death penalty, gay marriage being the others).
I know Wayne from a past life (although not good) also. prior to the Humane Society.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
nm
"I'm not saying the procedure was altered I'm saying that maybe instead of just ripping the fetus apart, they are more carefull - disgusting, I know and meant it that way. "

But in the videos the PP folks are explicitly saying that the procedures were altered, and they said it was done to influence the useful tissue for later use. That's what was said, and it's a blatant violation of federal law, and whie that alone isn't enough to convict anyone (maybe) sure as hell it should launch an investigation. And at a bare minumum, I should not be required to fund this place. I don't want my $$ going to these heartless ghouls. .