Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #31
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I love it, forming opinion from raw intel running over the scanner. What could go wrong?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

That's right, the message has not had the opportunity to be properly agipropted spun strategically messaged!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Really ? You really think a couple liberals are shooting people right now?

Do you think that the guy who shot up the planned parenthood was a liberal ?

They are religious nut jobs.. Terrorists are religious but jobs and we know for sure that the planned parenthood shooter was one as well. He said he could do what ever he wanted because he knew he "could be saved".

What a joke
Nebe, I didn't, nor would I ever, say that all mass shooters are registered Democrats. Try to respond to what I am actually saying, try not to put gibberish words in my mouth.

As a society, we are clearly moving away from the traditional family values of, say, the 1950s, in favor of more "progressive" values. As a direct result, we see more infidelity, more divorce, more abortions, more broken families, more unsupervised kids, fewer people going to church, fewer parents signing their kids up for scouting, etc. One of the pillars of liberalism is "if it feels good, do it". As a society, there is less emphasis on what is decent, and more emphasis on what feels good for me.

On top of that, it's much harder, thanks to liberals, to commit the mentally ill until after they hurt someone.

Perfect example...when actress Ingrid Bergman had an affair with a married man (1950s?), people stopped going to her movies, and she eventually had to flee the country. One generation later, Jane Fonda straddles a Viet Cong anti-aircraft gun wrapped in our enemy's flag, and she comes home to an academy award. One generation after that, we have college crybabies who want free tuition and student debt wiped out. Gimme, gimme, gimme. Me, me, me.

When we turn our back on family values and instead celebrate what feels good in the next second, why would you ask "what's wrong with people nowadays"? Guess what Nebe? When you tell people to stop paying attention to the 10 commandments, ugly behavior will increase. Guess what? It also turns out that when you plant potatoes, you get potatoes.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #33
Nebe

Ah. Ok. I understand better now.
However one can have very solid family values in today's society. But let me ask... Is your wife wishing she was back in the 50's? A wife in the 50's was pretty much supposed to be a shadow and servant of her husband.
How about Mcarthyism ? God forbid someone finds out you are gay... And fughertaboutit if you are black.
It all looks good on paper but I can assure you that we are better off today as a society.
Holy smokes.. The ones shooting people here and "over there" are the folks like you, that don't like what this place has become! Imagine just for a second if everyone took a deep breath and accepted people for who they are.. You know... "Love thy neighbor".

Think on that.

Good night
Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ah. Ok. I understand better now.
However one can have very solid family values in today's society. But let me ask... Is your wife wishing she was back in the 50's? A wife in the 50's was pretty much supposed to be a shadow and servant of her husband.
How about Mcarthyism ? God forbid someone finds out you are gay... And fughertaboutit if you are black.
It all looks good on paper but I can assure you that we are better off today as a society.
Holy smokes.. The ones shooting people here and "over there" are the folks like you, that don't like what this place has become! Imagine just for a second if everyone took a deep breath and accepted people for who they are.. You know... "Love thy neighbor".

Think on that.

Good night
"one can have very solid family values in today's society"

I didn't say no one has decent family values today, I said fewer of us do. When those values decline, and they are declining rapidly, bad things happen.

"Is your wife wishing she was back in the 50's?"

Hell, yes.

"A wife in the 50's was pretty much supposed to be a shadow and servant of her husband. "

Not in my family.

"How about Mcarthyism ?"

Every time period has its screw-ups. Today, we force Christians out of business who want to act according to their beliefs. Today cops are painted as racist assassins.

"I can assure you that we are better off today as a society. "

No, you can't. I would vehemently disagree. Didn't you say on this post, something to the effect of "what's wrong with people today?"

"The ones shooting people here and "over there" are the folks like you"

They're not anything like me.

"Imagine just for a second if everyone took a deep breath and accepted people for who they are.. You know... "Love thy neighbor".

I wish for that as well. But as I said, the sense of feeling obliged to others, is rapidly diminishing, and as today's kids spend half their waking hours on electronic devices, we will be even further disconnected from each other.

"Think on that"

I think about it a great deal. That's why I know I am correct.

"Good night"

You too!

Nebe, find someone, anyone, who has been a teacher for 30+ years, ask them how society is changing, if it's getting better or worse.

Our moral compass is so fu*ked up, it's hard to describe. A Democratic presidential candidate had to apologize for saying "all lives matter". That's just super.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #35
buckman

Quote:
I love it, forming opinion from raw intel running over the scanner. What could go wrong?
I was just trying to keep you informed . Apology excepted

And the President's response....
dead suspects."

President Barack Obama urged the country to take steps to reduce mass shootings, including stricter gun laws and stronger background checks.

"The one thing we do know is that we have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world," Obama told CBS

Last edited by buckman; 12-03-2015 at 06:12 AM..
Old 12-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #36
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I was just trying to keep you informed . Apology excepted

And the President's response....

President Barack Obama urged the country to take steps to reduce mass shootings, including stricter gun laws and stronger background checks.

"The one thing we do know is that we have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world," Obama told CBS
Old 12-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
One of the pillars of liberalism is "if it feels good, do it". As a society, there is less emphasis on what is decent, and more emphasis on what feels good for me.
This is true Nebe, at the Liberal Headquarters in Berkeley, California there's a big granite obelisk with "if it feels good, do it" chiseled into its surface.

The other liberal pillar "hey, hey, I've got something to say, it's better to burn out than to fade away" is on the other side.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #38
Nebe

Before the war in Iraq I noticed a phrase being thrown around on the news. "Weapons of mass distruction". I remember jokingly thinking to myself as to wtf that meant. Such a broad useless term.

Well. I am seeing a new term on the news. "Long guns".
This is just a hunch but I believe the term long gun will be used a lot in the future when the government tried to ban assault rifles.
I could be wrong.....
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #39
spence

I believe it's a legal definition.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #40
JohnR

Quote:
Before the war in Iraq I noticed a phrase being thrown around on the news. "Weapons of mass distruction". I remember jokingly thinking to myself as to wtf that meant. Such a broad useless term.
This was a fairly common phrase in the cold war, not a common as say non-conventional weapons, but it was used in policy and military circles. The primary connotation was for referencing "NBC"; Nuclear Biological, Chemical,(now called CBRN with the addition of Radiological). So while you had not heard of it, professionals and academics in that space were using it and it had a specific meaning.

Quote:

Well. I am seeing a new term on the news. "Long guns".
This is just a hunch but I believe the term long gun will be used a lot in the future when the government tried to ban assault rifles.
I could be wrong.....
The term "Long Guns" is an old term but occasionally used. Typically refers to longer barreled guns (over 10 inches I think) and would include rifles, shotguns, semi-s, machine guns, etc. I do not understand why the media revived it last night but I would guess that someone did not want to use the term "Assault Weapon" - often inaccurately applied in the media. Then I assume, the rest of the Press/Media kept rolling it.

Should government decide to confiscate these "long guns" we will be in for heavy seas.

Speaking of Media competency: Did anyone see the Chicken that dies of fright last night?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #41
scottw

Quote:

The ones shooting people here and "over there" are the folks like you, that don't like what this place has become!

please provide an example of a shooting "over here" where the perpetrators did so because they claimed they "didn't like what this place has become"...I know it fits your narrative but I can't think of an instance...the media and left were desperately hoping these last two(and nearly every other) examples were perpetrated by right wing loons and are obviously deeply disappointed that it turned out not to be the case...

if "what we've become" is responsible for these shootings then it's more likely the fact that we've become a society where sex and violence are fed to our children at an early age teaching them that neither carry consequences and desensitizing them to the realities of life and constantly reinforced as they move along through life... drugs are issued and taken with abandon to help deal with any realities that may try to creep in...they lash out and the libs run around blaming guns

the ones shooting people over there want you to become them...it's pretty simple...
Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #42
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I do not understand why the media revived it last night but I would guess that someone did not want to use the term "Assault Weapon" - often inaccurately applied in the media. Then I assume, the rest of the Press/Media kept rolling it.
I'd wager they were simply trying to describe the scene based on available information...long guns and hand guns without knowing additional details. Long gun has been used more frequently the last several years in the gun debate, at least from what I've seen.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #43
spence

Hmmmmm....

http://thehill.com/regulation/health...ch-has-regrets

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...ted-terrorists
Old 12-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #44
JohnR

Quote:
I'd wager they were simply trying to describe the scene based on available information...long guns and hand guns without knowing additional details. Long gun has been used more frequently the last several years in the gun debate, at least from what I've seen.
Must have been used more in Progressive Circles if you have been seeing it more and more because generally I have not seen it much used in gun control. Historical writings, research, yes. Media / Gun Control, I have not seen it.

Long gun cover's a lot more thing things than just semi-auto

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #45
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I do not understand why the media revived it last night but I would guess that someone did not want to use the term "Assault Weapon" - often inaccurately applied in the media. Then I assume, the rest of the Press/Media kept rolling it.
They used it because that is the term the Police Chief used when addressing the media about it. Pretty smart actually...instead of giving out bogus info so the media could sensationalize it, they used this term until the facts were in....because, anything that isn't a hand gun, can be categorized as a long gun.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #46
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
They used it because that is the term the Police Chief used when addressing the media about it. Pretty smart actually...instead of giving out bogus info so the media could sensationalize it, they used this term until the facts were in....because, anything that isn't a hand gun, can be categorized as a long gun.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #47
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
And I'm sure it's the term the witnesses used when describing what the terrorist used , you know while they were giving them the terrorists name .
Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #48
Jim in CT

During my kids' lifetime, we will start having the horrible, but necessary, conversation about whether or not Islam is compatible with civilization. If 95% of Muslims are peace loving, they need to start exerting a LOT more influence over the other 5%. Or face ugly consequeces.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
Or face ugly consequeces.
What the hell does that mean?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
What the hell does that mean?
Spence, what do you honestly think the answer is? Do you concede there is a huge problem with Islam in the world today? Or do you side with our moron-in-chief, who thinks the problem is citizens with lawfully-purchased guns?

If you concede there is a huge problem with Islam, what would you do about it?

My guess...eventually a western nation is going to lose a city. When that happens, the west may well say "we tried welcoming Muslims, but it's not working, it's time for you to go, and no more Muslims can enter our country." I just don't see what an alternative answer is.

We also need to take the gloves off, completely off, when it comes to dealing with known terrorists. Our current POTUS thinks it's wrong to pour water down the nose of someone with insider knowledge of a planned attack at an elementary school. I don't think we can afford that anymore.

I am speculating, of course, that this was a terrorist attack. But the guy's name wasn't Seamus O'Grady, and it wasn't County Cork where he spent a month recently.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #51
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=spence;1087750]This is true Nebe, at the Liberal Headquarters in Berkeley, California there's a big granite obelisk with "if it feels good, do it" chiseled into its surface.

Liberalism is way more permissive of counter-productive behavior (sleeping around, adultery, divorce, etc) than conservatism. Deny that all you want. It's still fact.

Liberals have sanctuary cities, for God's sake, for people who want to be refugees from laws that liberals don't happen to like. It's anarchy, but it's celebrated on your side. As an aside, what would happen if I declared my hometown a sanctuary for the unborn, and outlawed all abortion? Would Obama allow that to continue for 8 years?
Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #52
PaulS

I hope jim has the same discussion with his son about the planned parenthood protesters. The amount of criminal behavior from them is so much higher than the general public that the government should have the FBI look into it.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #53
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I hope jim has the same discussion with his son about the planned parenthood protesters. The amount of criminal behavior from them is so much higher than the general public that the government should have the FBI look into it.
Back that statement up ........
Old 12-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The anti-abortion kooks probably do commit a lot more crime than the average citizen. But sure as hell, they don't commit anywhere near as much violence as jihadists. This one shooting yesterday, will leave almost half as many did as have been killed by anti-abortion protesters in the last 40 years.

I am sure the FBIlooks into these people. But you cannot compare the threat they pose, to that posed by jihadists.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #55
buckman

I'll have to say it is stunning the contrast between President Obama's reaction to an attack on our country and the leader of France's reaction to an attack on his country.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
I'll have to say it is stunning the contrast between President Obama's reaction to an attack on our country and the leader of France's reaction to an attack on his country.
So, you're thinking we could at least bomb Dearborn as a start?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #57
spence

Quote:
Liberalism is way more permissive of counter-productive behavior (sleeping around, adultery, divorce, etc) than conservatism. Deny that all you want. It's still fact.
I'd suggest you just made all that up...
Old 12-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #58
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Understatement of the year, Buck.. Even this morning he said" It is POSSIBLE
that this was terrorist related. We don't know. It's possible that this was workplace related. "

Believe it or not there are sheeple who will actually believe he really doesn't know, even with all the facts that have come out in the last 24 hours. Remember the Iissis JV team is under control ?

God Bless our law enforcement officers for their outstanding work.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #59
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I'd suggest you just made all that up...
Spence, what world do you live in? All this progressive liberalism started back in the Sixties with exactly the slogan , "If it feels good do it." Free love, drugs, Alfred E Newman [" What me care."] followed by the greed of the Seventies "Take care of # one" and let greed reign. Anybody that doesn't know that was never educated.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #60
Nebe

Why aren't they calling this terrorism ? Two Muslims shot up a Christmas party ..... Wtf