Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #121
Sea Dangles

Hahaha,a professor
No agenda there,move along
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #122
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, tell me where this statement is wrong, please...

Corporate income taxes are the cost of corporate income. When the cost of income decreases, the demand for income will increase. Some corporate projects might not make economic sense to undertake at a tax rate of 35%, but would make perfect sense at a tax rate of 20%.
The front half of your statement doesn't make any sense.

The back half makes some sense but it's more complicated than you state. In capital budgeting the tax rate is just one variable in the calculation. The net return is a factor of investments, anticipated benefits, taxes on profit (income less expenses) as well as the hurdle rate etc...

Dialing the corporate tax rate down isn't going to impact investments as much because if the projects are justified they would typically need to be justified by a wider margin than the difference in tax rates provide.

Small business could be different.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #123
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

The back half makes some sense but it's more complicated than you state. In capital budgeting the tax rate is just one variable in the calculation. The net return is a factor of investments, anticipated benefits, taxes on profit (income less expenses) as well as the hurdle rate etc...

Dialing the corporate tax rate down isn't going to impact investments as much because if the projects are justified they would typically need to be justified by a wider margin than the difference in tax rates provide.

that's right....dazzle him with BS
Old 12-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #124
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Hahaha,a professor
No agenda there,move along
Yeah, those agricultural professors are known to be big snowflakes after all.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #125
Jim in CT

Quote:

"The front half of your statement doesn't make any sense. "

If a business makes a dollar of income, today they owe Uncle Sam 35 cents. Am I going too fast for you?

"In capital budgeting the tax rate is just one variable in the calculation"

Agreed. But the cost associated with that one variable, is set to decrease significantly. So all other things being equal, when doing a cost/benefit analysis, the cost is going to decrease. Which makes investments look more attractive. This cannot fail to occur.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #126
Jim in CT

Quote:

Dialing the corporate tax rate down isn't going to impact investments as much because if the projects are justified they would typically need to be justified by a wider margin than the difference in tax rates provide"

Pure speculation on your part.

Cutting the corporate tax rate tilts the scales of the cost/benefit math. It doesn't make every single project now viable. But it makes more projects viable.

Corporations often look for a 15% return on any investments. Being able to keep 80% of income versus 65%, is not an insignificant shift.

"
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #127
Jim in CT

Quote:
And what are most businesses? Small or large?
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #128
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Yeah, those agricultural professors are known to be big snowflakes after all.
Jeff, pretty much ALL professors fall under the snowflake umbrella,but you know that. Sorry to distract from you acting silly again.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #129
spence

Quote:
If a business makes a dollar of income, today they owe Uncle Sam 35 cents. Am I going too fast for you?
Your wit is dizzying.

Quote:
Agreed. But the cost associated with that one variable, is set to decrease significantly. So all other things being equal, when doing a cost/benefit analysis, the cost is going to decrease. Which makes investments look more attractive. This cannot fail to occur.
In simple terms, if you were to make a 10m capital investment that hoped to net 1.5m in profit, the proposed difference in marginal corporate taxes would be 2.25% of the total investment. That's not usually going to big enough to sway an investment decision given much larger factors. One reason is that the capital investment is risk adjusted using a hurdle rate which could be 19%. What kind of a return would you get if you just invested that 10m into bonds? This is usually subtracted and make the tax savings even less significant.

Note that the 35% rate is misleading. The effective average rate is closer to 20%...buy maintaining deductions that's even going to go way down which is why the deficit will explode.

The bottom line is that investment ideas are either good or bad. A good idea isn't going to be shelved because of a few percentage points...most companies either have the cash or can leverage given the low interest rates.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #130
spence

Quote:
And what are most businesses? Small or large?
Depends on how do you define it. Yes, the vast majority of businesses in the US are small, for the most part they are non-employee, not incorporated and don't pay corporate taxes.

I'm not sure what is going to be in the final bill but earlier this month it was looking like the GOP wanted to increase taxes on most small business profits dramatically while cutting rates on the larger classes dramatically. Not sure how this helps employment. It does help wall street.

Hey, maybe that's why markets went up on the news ya THINK?

*Edit - it looks like the Senate bill that passed this morning did include provisions to help small businesses. It was added at the very last second to influence the final two votes. This should scare the heck out of everyone. It wasn't an oversight.

Last edited by spence; 12-02-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #131
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your wit is dizzying.

In simple terms, if you were to make a 10m capital investment that hoped to net 1.5m in profit, the proposed difference in marginal corporate taxes would be 2.25% of the total investment. That's not usually going to big enough to sway an investment decision given much larger factors. One reason is that the capital investment is risk adjusted using a hurdle rate which could be 19%. What kind of a return would you get if you just invested that 10m into bonds? This is usually subtracted and make the tax savings even less significant.

Note that the 35% rate is misleading. The effective average rate is closer to 20%...buy maintaining deductions that's even going to go way down which is why the deficit will explode.

The bottom line is that investment ideas are either good or bad. A good idea isn't going to be shelved because of a few percentage points...most companies either have the cash or can leverage given the low interest rates.
If the true effective rate is 20%, then cutting the published rate to 20 costs us nothing, and thus the liberals can’t say it’s a gimmick to help the rich. Can’t have it both ways, sorry.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-02-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #132
Jim in CT

Spence, on a 10m investment in our example, you said the income needs to be 1.5m for it to return 15%. That’s the net. The gross income on that investment needs to be 2.31m at a tax rate of 35%. At a rate of 20%, the gross return needs to be 1.875m, 20% less. Not a trivial shift in the cost benefit math.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #133
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If I ran my personal finances like this government, I'd be filing bankruptcy as often as Trump has. The deficit is getting out of control.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #134
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If I ran my personal finances like this government, I'd be filing bankruptcy as often as Trump has. The deficit is getting out of control.

Yes - something many have been harping about for a decade but were told were racists.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: