Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
bobber

a season not-well spent...

I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that my 2017 striper season has come to its end. this was one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember- with the fewest fish I've caught in 20 years. Between boat issues/electrical gremlins, no show friends, bad tides and dirty water, and just a plain lack of fish and bait in my area- it all added up to some dismal fishing for me (and most of the guys I fish with). I kept myself occupied with freshwater stuff to take my mind off of how bad it was.... and then did not go running to the Canal during the breaking tides with the rest of humanity. maybe I should have- the fishing was the best in decades by most accounts; I kinda pride myself on NOT chasing a bite. (actually- I did go one night with PaulS and we did catch 'em pretty good... but I still don't really count that since it was kinda cheating...)

locally there were glimpses of brilliance from time to time- I had a few decent fish from the beach, but nothing over 40 inches. and now we're down to the dwindling trail of schoolies popping up along the beach, and some winter holdovers will be around too.

I'm not getting any younger- maybe have 10-15 good seasons left in me..... lets hope this is not what the rest of them will be like

peace- out
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that my 2017 striper season has come to its end. this was one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember- with the fewest fish I've caught in 20 years. Between boat issues/electrical gremlins, no show friends, bad tides and dirty water, and just a plain lack of fish and bait in my area- it all added up to some dismal fishing for me (and most of the guys I fish with). I kept myself occupied with freshwater stuff to take my mind off of how bad it was.... and then did not go running to the Canal during the breaking tides with the rest of humanity. maybe I should have- the fishing was the best in decades by most accounts; I kinda pride myself on NOT chasing a bite. (actually- I did go one night with PaulS and we did catch 'em pretty good... but I still don't really count that since it was kinda cheating...)

locally there were glimpses of brilliance from time to time- I had a few decent fish from the beach, but nothing over 40 inches. and now we're down to the dwindling trail of schoolies popping up along the beach, and some winter holdovers will be around too.

I'm not getting any younger- maybe have 10-15 good seasons left in me..... lets hope this is not what the rest of them will be like

peace- out
Time for an intervention. You better have more than 10-15 good years. My grandfathers caught their last stripers from shore at 85 and 88. I am expecting you be on the sand at least that long. Season is just late. They haven't moved out of the Hudson yet.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Don't know how old you are but Clammer, Guppy and I are 70 and we're still goin at it pretty hard.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
bobber

I'm 52- but not a "great" 52. I'm pretty active when I fish so a decent amount of balance and agility. I'm getting clumsy already so I can't see be great 10 years from now
Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Ian
Idiot

The fish are still here, and in size too.

In LIS I tend to try to work in a BSB, fluke and other species target when I go out, especially from the boat. Keeps the diminished striped bass count from bothering me.

That being said I went out yesterday and found good sized bass thrashing on bunker for the better part of an hour... albies, Black Sea bass and blues were abundant as well... don't hang up your season just yet!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
I'm 52- but not a "great" 52. I'm pretty active when I fish so a decent amount of balance and agility. I'm getting clumsy already so I can't see be great 10 years from now

The sooner you accept defeat, the sooner it comes.
Bad season buddy...everybody has them, no sense in predicting your demise 15 years early??

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #7
PaulS

You would be happy you didn't go with me tonight. Nothing but small fish
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #8
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
At 52 I fished 100+ nights a year in the surf. I had a 100 mile+ R/T drive on top of fishing every night and working all day. Come on man, you are young. You just had a bad season.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Don't know how old you are but Clammer, Guppy and I are 70 and we're still goin at it pretty hard.
Amen to that brother!

Finally got a break in the wind and my back blows out! May give it a try anyways
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
The sooner you accept defeat, the sooner it comes.
Bad season buddy...everybody has them, no sense in predicting your demise 15 years early??
This ^.....I just came off the worst season for me in 30 years ( for quality fish)... for a lot of the same reasons you stated... at 62 (I'll be 63 in a few months) all it did was light a fire under my ageing kiester......... making me want to make NEXT year one to remember......none of us will ever be what we were yesterday... but yesterday is a memory...tomorrow is a treasure!....start planning for next season now... when the winter snow melts away and the first apple blossoms appear... I'm sure this years "failure" will be the last thing you think about... as the Dosequis( spelling) commercial says ... " stay thirsty my friend"

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Amen to that brother!

Finally got a break in the wind and my back blows out! May give it a try anyways
Sorry to hear Ray. I think it has something to do with the weather. I broke my back 40 years ago and the last few cold damp days have been murder. Lots of Bayer!!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

At almost 65 I have the energy, but I'm also a golf nut and come this time of year, I'd rather put on a few extra layers and walk 18 holes for some exercise and fresh air. Might hold out for a few more fresh water trips, but I'll be waiting on a few warmer days to get the bite activated again.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
Ed B

You just need to change your perspective. Any time you can get out make some casts and complain about the fishing is not a bad thing.

Stop thinking about the production and think more about what you saw, what didn't you see, what were the conditions and what you did to adjust to them. I've known what I'd consider some really good fisherman over the decades, what most would consider the most productive surf fisherman, boat fisherman and some really good FW bass tournament fisherman. One thing they all had in common is a strong sense of curiosity, a desire to learn or try a new technique, and they couldn't wait to try the next plan to get a hit next time out. To them, the anticipation and enjoyment never leaves.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #14
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

darn kids! suck it up dudes. i'll never see 79 again and spend my time at hospitals,doctors, and eating pills like jelly beans.
Enjoy what you have today!
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Haha. Thanks for the motivation
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The way I look at it if I am not at work and I am fishing what could be wrong. Catching or not catching still better than doing stuff you don’t want too.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
FishermanTim

Like the old business mantra "People fail to plan, not plan to fail"!

If you think things are bad, that you're heading downhill, and the fishing seems like it's worse than before you need to change your perspective!

Even a simple change in your approach can reap rewards!

I'm 56, and 5-6 years back I needed to have knee surgery for torn cartilage. Before the surgery when I was asked in the consult what my expectations were afterwards, I stated plain and simply "I want to be able to walk without pain".

Now, although I am a heavy individual, I try to stay active, and keep in shape (relative for my age).
I don't fish as many times a year like I used to, but I do fish year round. Fresh, salt, surf, shore, ice and kayak.

So this year wasn't great? Well, neither was mine, but I found some great fresh water kayak fishing that made up for it.

If you want to stay "young at heart" you need to stay active!

My simple plan whenever I go fishing, regardless of when and where, is that if I can catch just one fish I will be happy.
If I catch more than one, it's even better.

So, bottom line...you might need an attitude adjustment to change your perspective and find your own nirvana!

Good luck and keep you line in the water!

Oh, and I make it a point to enjoy whatever scenery I encounter, flora and fauna combined.
Taking pics can aid in your "fish tales"....

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
Cool Beans

This year when salt wasn't producing at all for me, I would take my daughter to the local pond in our canoe with a can of worms and paddle her around and let her catch whatever would bite. Lots of bluegill and small bass and perch. She had fun and it always made my day. Did the same with a friend of mine from work, took him and his 4 yr old son out to catch his first fish, a small bluegill. I rarely caught anything on these outings as I was the motor, but I always had a great day fishing
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
This year when salt wasn't producing at all for me, I would take my daughter to the local pond in our canoe with a can of worms and paddle her around and let her catch whatever would bite. Lots of bluegill and small bass and perch. She had fun and it always made my day. Did the same with a friend of mine from work, took him and his 4 yr old son out to catch his first fish, a small bluegill. I rarely caught anything on these outings as I was the motor, but I always had a great day fishing
This is what it is all about
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
l.i.fish.in.vt

not a good attitude to have at 52.i am a few months short of 63,fish just about every night from early may till late october. ski an average of 85 days a season.and plan on doing so as long as i can breath.my fishing partner in into his 80's and fishing just about evryday year round. i don't chase reports but do chase fish,i fished the canal 4 or 5 times aweek from the end of june till mid september, had over an hour drive each way and worked a day hour day afterwards,its all about your attitude
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

It is just a funk, it will wear off.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #22
FishermanTim

I always like days that start with good news.

Had a follow up doctor visit (now a regular 6 month thing due to a bout with cellulitis some years back) and the first thing they do when you go into the exam room is weigh you and take you BP.

Step on the scale and I've lost 15 lbs!!!
Check the BP, which is usually high because I usually get taken into the exam room right after coming in from what is usually a stressful drive and a moderate walk from the parking area, and it's lower than I expected!
Doctor comes in and she re-checks the BP (after I've had a chance to rest a bit) and it's even lower still!

Then she gives me a quick check on vitals, and compliments me on my efforts to drop some poundage.

Oh, and today is PAYDAY!!!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
bobber

went out did a little LMB fishing yesterday before the cold front came in.... it was nice to get a few bites(!) even if they're only 2 pounds.

i'm just dejected about the striper season being so bad..... time, money, and effort that never went the way I was hoping.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
Clammer

you need a adjustment ,you have a case of [real bad attitude] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you SHOULD be just thankful that you can get out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&&&&&&&& ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE ><<

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
you need a adjustment ,you have a case of [real bad attitude] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you SHOULD be just thankful that you can get out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&&&&&&&& ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE ><<
Good answer Mike. I have so many pains in my hips and knees that I'm buying stock in Bayer. Still going to hit the surf one more time this year.

It's not what you catch, its what you make of it!

Old 11-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #26
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
That's on you..... Stationary bike or spinning classes, weight training, boxing class, even yoga (never been but have seen good results from injured guys that have) whatever it takes.

I had resisted from responding until now as I had a challenging year between a back injury and major dental issues. Back is better but it cost me 5 weeks out of work and the boat. I know a number of members here have just turned 60 recently, as I have. There are things that I notice I can't do as well or as much of as five years ago, but suck it up...... Lots of good people out there that are facing much worse challenges. A life well lived is not about the brass ring nor the big fish..... Consider these responses your mid life dope slap.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #27
Guppy
User

"mid life dope slap." Good one!

I noticed a big change right after hitting sixty,,, blew up like a balloon , couldn't keep my ars off the couch....

Started exercising, quit the cigs, lost 40 lbs and haven't looked back.
Exercise seems to help with all the joint pains, I sometimes think, no, I know , exercise is the answer ...

Take two shots of Wild Turkey and call me in the morning... :-) Gr. Gup
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #28
bobber

I know, I know- things could certainly be worse. I had high hopes for the Fall and it just fell apart... never got on any good group(s) of fish; then others( who don't really put in their time) end up catching better than I did

I'm being a bitch, I know..... just effin pissed about this year
Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #29
oldroe

I will be leaving for the pool in 20 minutes. My personal miracle. Chronic pain down 1000% in just 4 years. Minimum 3 times a week goal 5 times.

Motion is lotion.
oldroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #30
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

I’m 62. New titanium knee, and arthritic all over.
Weight lifting and cardio 3-4 times a week, drink a ton of water, try and eat the right food 90% of the time. If I didn’t do that I’d be using a walker with tennis ball feet by now.
Use it or lose it. It’s never too late to benefit from this.
Besides compared to the big picture, it’s still just a fish.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote