Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Hull maybe?

I'm thinking about hitting the gut and drifting some live eels overnight. Launch tonight on the outgoing and return tomorrow late incoming or maybe stay through another outgoing. Has anyone spent 16-18hrs. in a yak?
I need to fish these eels so I am open to suggestions

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 10-22-2011 at 06:10 PM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
hq2

I've got a 2-man 'yak I use with plenty of legroom, and about 5-6 hours is about enough for me. Also, have you kayaked Hull before? There are some really wicked currents (and waves) near the gut. If you aren't an expert kayaker, I'd be careful before heading out there, especially alone....
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
I've got a 2-man 'yak I use with plenty of legroom, and about 5-6 hours is about enough for me. Also, have you kayaked Hull before? There are some really wicked currents (and waves) near the gut. If you aren't an expert kayaker, I'd be careful before heading out there, especially alone....
I have spent 7 hours and found it very comfortable, but it might be because it's such a large kayak (hobie pro angler). I have only been out of Hull twice and had no issues except for one rock that I found the first time I went which gave me concern for future trips so I watch for it. I have a great deal of time on the water and try and stay safe and alert of weather conditions and wear a automatic pfd, have a compass, mirror, flare gun, air horn, anchor, throw rope with a float and teether everything to my yak including myself(I wear 2 knives so I can cut anything I have to in an emergency. I would actually feel somewhat safer in a sit in kayak which I know if I go over I can right without getting out (been there done that), the pro angler is a beast that I should take the time to make sure I can flip over while in the water to be more confident though. Thus far the only time I felt a little uncomfortable was out of Scorton creek with a malfunctioning rudder. I used my paddle to steer and cut through the rip which was 2'-3' waves and had no problem, I kind of got a kick out of the ride to be honest. I normally would not take on a rip/waves like that but did not want to interfere with the guys fishing the shore so I tried to get back in once I found the rudder issue and learned you cannot get back into Scorton creek when the tide is still out going.
I also carry an old vhf radio that is only good for about an hour so it's time for a new floating model and hopefully a new gps/fishfinder combo before the season ends. I also planned on wearing my wetsuit because the temps are dropping. Am I being foolish thinking I can handle Hull alone?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
falkners

Wicked currents and crazy ass powerboaters.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
blondterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I have spent 7 hours and found it very comfortable, but it might be because it's such a large kayak (hobie pro angler). I have only been out of Hull twice and had no issues except for one rock that I found the first time I went which gave me concern for future trips so I watch for it. I have a great deal of time on the water and try and stay safe and alert of weather conditions and wear a automatic pfd, have a compass, mirror, flare gun, air horn, anchor, throw rope with a float and teether everything to my yak including myself(I wear 2 knives so I can cut anything I have to in an emergency. I would actually feel somewhat safer in a sit in kayak which I know if I go over I can right without getting out (been there done that), the pro angler is a beast that I should take the time to make sure I can flip over while in the water to be more confident though. Thus far the only time I felt a little uncomfortable was out of Scorton creek with a malfunctioning rudder. I used my paddle to steer and cut through the rip which was 2'-3' waves and had no problem, I kind of got a kick out of the ride to be honest. I normally would not take on a rip/waves like that but did not want to interfere with the guys fishing the shore so I tried to get back in once I found the rudder issue and learned you cannot get back into Scorton creek when the tide is still out going.
I also carry an old vhf radio that is only good for about an hour so it's time for a new floating model and hopefully a new gps/fishfinder combo before the season ends. I also planned on wearing my wetsuit because the temps are dropping. Am I being foolish thinking I can handle Hull alone?

I'm sure you can do it safely as long as you do not get hit by a powerboat that does not see you. Do you have a pole mounted light so you are visible to other powered boats that may be moving much faster than you. I also like to "push the envelope" in my Hobie Revolution and will do things like solo circumnavigate Nashawena Island going through Quicks Hole and Canapitsit Channel during daylight hours. The key is being prepared (able to self rescue) and being very alert to what is going on around you with respect to wave action.

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
ecduzitgood
time to go

I forgot about lights, I have a waterproof flashlight, my hat with built in lights and both a pole light and a bow light.
Attachment 48898
You guys are right about the other boaters, I watch them like a hawk now. Found out my first time out in Hull, they don't seem to like kayaks. I stupidly put my self down current of working birds on the other side of the channel thinking I'll work the outside of the school of a bait away from the mass of boats. The next thing I know I'm in the middle of the chaos with the birds, bait and boats all around me. I got myself out of the traffic fast and back on the other side of the channel once I saw how they don't care your there. I can kind of understand their perspective though, they don't think kayaks should be in the same areas they are and since there are no laws about who has the right of way they treat you as if you have feet of freeboard not inches. They must be thinking they will teach me a lesson and speed past throwing a big wake and some even watch to see how I handle it.
Blondterror, the Elizabeth islands are on my list of places I want to kayak. Being my first year with the yak and previously fishing from 35'-55' sportfishing boats I am slowly learning areas previously unaccessible to me. I was looking at Naushon island photo's and came across this photo (Do an image search "Naushon" on yahoo and you'll find it)
shark25.jpg
I also want to fish Chatam and Nauset but am holding off till I get a shark shield.
I do tend to push the envelope though. For instance in my younger days when my folks used to take our 35' Viking to Menemsha for a week of fishing I would take the 9' zodiac with a 9.9 mercury and fish inside and outside the harbor all the way out to devil's ridge where I sat/laid on the bottom of the boat when going through the rip and watched over the side and could see the bass below knowing that once I passed and my eels entered the area they would jump on my baits. It was a great time until the first boat came along and the guy got all pissed off that I was interfering with his fishing and shouldn't have been there in such a vessel. He started harassing me with his wake trying to get me to leave which eventually made me fish further in where I could maneuver over and around the boulders where he couldn't, but the fishing closer to painted rock (I think that was what it was called, my memory fails at times) wasn't as good as it was in the heart of the rip set up on the ridge. Once I did have the motor fail midway in the Menemsha channel one night fighting the outgoing, but I didn't panic and grabbed the paddles and just rowed back to the beach and waited for the the engine to cool and the current to slow before going back in. The engine was overheating so I waited for it to cool then rowed to the end of the jetty and started it and ran it just long enough for me to clear the channel and enter the marina then returned to rowing so I wouldn't kill the motor.
Things happen when your on the water and if you panic you may very well end up dead. I try and prepare for whatever may come up and when something unexpected happens I try and keep my cool and figure what I can do to remain alive/safe.