Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Jim - why are so few people willing to recognize this?
Not sure what you mean? Are you giving me a subtle hint that if so many people disagree, I must be wrong? Or are you sincerely wondering why so many people disagree?

If it's the former, I hope you know I have zero issue with you disagreeing with me. None whatsoever. But I think the most basic principles of supply and demand suggest I am correct.

If it's the latter, I think people either (1) are liberal ideologues and cannot admit anything that doesn't support liberalism, even if it's obvious truth. Spence is in this category. Or (2) people can't stomach saying it out loud, because it is a harsh reality, which means that we must put strict limits on the number of poor people we let come here. For many people, it's not an easy thing to say 'no' to someone that might desperately want to come here, it might be their only shot at having a comfortable life? It's not easy to slam the door in people's faces. But life ain't always easy. I don't like that more than anybody, I want everybody to be rich and comfortable.

Rand Paul hates Donald Trump. But he was on with Chuck Todd this weekend, explaining how much money Trump gave (before he entered politics) to support humanitarian missions to Haiti, medical mercy missions that Rand Paul, a doctor, was aware of. Trump was a major, major donor to these missions. If all he cared about was his net worth, and if he doesn't like Haitians, why would he do this? Answer...he wouldn't.

I do not think Trump is a super nice guy. I wouldn't want him dating my Mom. He says things that are hard to believe a grown man could say, probably because he's not a grown man in many ways, he's a big spoiled bratty baby in many ways. But he's not Hitler or Darth Vader or Mr Burns from 'The Simpsons' either. There are many stories of his generosity out there (as there should be with any billionaire). All of that gets lost because (1) he has a penchant for saying the most crass things you can imagine, which naturally grab our attention, and (2) 99% of the media is on a mission to demonize him.

He will never, ever get a fair shake in the media. And by 'fair', I don't mean zero negative coverage. I mean negative coverage when he deserves it (not a rare thing), and positive coverage when he deserves it (also not a rare thing, especially if you think a healthy economy is good for Americans). He will never, ever get that, the left and the media are not capable of it. They literally are not capable of it. They could not be fair to Bush, or McCain, or Romney. And their hatred of those men was nothing compared to Trump, because those men were courteous to the media. Trump throws cheap shots right back at them, and is calling them out for exactly what they are. It never occurred to them that they might be held accountable for their yellow journalism, and they don't like it one bit.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Not sure what you mean? Are you giving me a subtle hint that if so many people disagree, I must be wrong? Or are you sincerely wondering why so many people disagree?
Jim - I agree with you. Like almost any supply / demand issue if you flood a particular "market" or "segment" you create a glut in that segment and a competition for those lower tier jobs. If you keep "importing" people of poverty and/or lower skills, no matter how many people you have helped out of poverty you have replaced that person with the same. It is generally unfair to people that were in that position before. Now if you are not pulling as many out of poverty as you (Guv) continue to bring in you have an increase in poverty. Your percentages may even be same but due to pop growth have more people in poverty.

Now I am OK with bringing in more of the impoverished (legally) after a reduction in the people coming illegally but assimilate, have sponsors, chase education, and ATTAIN CITIZENSHIP!!!!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Rand Paul hates Donald Trump. But he was on with Chuck Todd this weekend, explaining how much money Trump gave (before he entered politics) to support humanitarian missions to Haiti, medical mercy missions that Rand Paul, a doctor, was aware of. Trump was a major, major donor to these missions. If all he cared about was his net worth, and if he doesn't like Haitians, why would he do this? Answer...he wouldn't.
All I heard Rand Paul say was that Trump donated something, not that he was a major, major donor.

Sounds like a good tax deduction for the Donald. He needs a strong Haiti, it's where he gets most of his workers for Mar-A-Lago.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
All I heard Rand Paul say was that Trump donated something, not that he was a major, major donor.

Sounds like a good tax deduction for the Donald. He needs a strong Haiti, it's where he gets most of his workers for Mar-A-Lago.
Rand Paul said that Trump showed that he cared very deeply for the Haitian people. That he donated money to save the vision of 200 Haitians.

Oh, but wait, if he was not a major, major donor, that's proof he is a racist. And if he hires Haitians to work at Mar-A-Lago, he hates them and is a bigot racist. And shame on Trump for getting a tax deduction for charitable donations.

You have said nothing here to show that Trump is a racist. And if you think you have said anything in this thread to show that he is a racist, then you are either deficient in logical thinking, or a political hack. One who might agree with another political operative like Democrat Rep. Luis Gutierrez who said: “We now know that we have in the White House someone who could lead the Ku Klux Klan in the United States of America, somebody who could be the leader of the Neo-Nazi."

For you, it would be perfectly appropriate for a politician to make an ad hominem attack like that, but to call Haiti a sh*thole is to be unfit for office.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Rand Paul said that Trump showed that he cared very deeply for the Haitian people. That he donated money to save the vision of 200 Haitians.

Oh, but wait, if he was not a major, major donor, that's proof he is a racist. And if he hires Haitians to work at Mar-A-Lago, he hates them and is a bigot racist. And shame on Trump for getting a tax deduction for charitable donations.

You have said nothing here to show that Trump is a racist. And if you think you have said anything in this thread to show that he is a racist, then you are either deficient in logical thinking, or a political hack. One who might agree with another political operative like Democrat Rep. Luis Gutierrez who said: “We now know that we have in the White House someone who could lead the Ku Klux Klan in the United States of America, somebody who could be the leader of the Neo-Nazi."

For you, it would be perfectly appropriate for a politician to make an ad hominem attack like that, but to call Haiti a sh*thole is to be unfit for office.
"Rand Paul said that Trump showed that he cared very deeply for the Haitian people. That he donated money to save the vision of 200 Haitians"

And Rand Paul hates Trump.

"if he was not a major, major donor, that's proof he is a racist"

That is the logic behind the arguments his opponents are making. It's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
All you need to do is look at trumps past behavior and ask yourself..”would he really say that?” Of course he would say that.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe, have you heard anyone suggest that Trump would never say such a thing? Sure he would. It's also true, that his adversaries are capable of making up lies about him. We don't know. If there's video or audio, I will be convinced. Until then, I don't have a problem taking the word of Tom Cotton, a Harvard Law graduate who signed up for the Army, and he chose combat infantry when he could have gone a cushier route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Are democrats so altruistic that they don't deduct charitable donations? Are you feeling all right? Seriously, are you OK?

Calling Haiti a sh*thole makes him crass. It's not the least bit racist. Suggesting we take more immigrants from Norway might be racist, or he might be expressing the logical notion that if we have fewer penniless immigrants, and more who are self-sufficient, that makes it easier for us.