Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
wdmso

didn't take long

Virginia's new Republican governor, who banned critical race theory in schools, is launching a tip line for parents to report their kids' teachers

He said parents can report public-school teachers if they believe they're "behaving objectionably."

Gotto love the GOP facts need not apply all you need is a feeling

Youngkin banned the teaching of "inherently divisive concepts" on his first day in office. The order didn't define "divisive concepts, amazing
Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Virginia's new Republican governor, who banned critical race theory in schools, is launching a tip line for parents to report their kids' teachers

He said parents can report public-school teachers if they believe they're "behaving objectionably."

Gotto love the GOP facts need not apply all you need is a feeling

Youngkin banned the teaching of "inherently divisive concepts" on his first day in office. The order didn't define "divisive concepts, amazing
he ran on this issue, he won, now he delivered. The parents there don’t especially care if it makes you cry.

Teachers are public servants. They do what the public wants, or they seek fulfillment elsewhere. There’s nothing wrong with that. Common sense, actually.

As Obama liked to say, elections have consequences.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-28-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Fahrenheit 451
Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not really
Old 01-28-2022, 08:10 AM   #5
PaulS

snowflakes.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Fahrenheit 451
Exactly. If they feel upset, cry and a book will be banned.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

No it won't, and you actually may want to read the book.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Exactly. If they feel upset, cry and a book will be banned.
you’re saying it’s the right engaging in censorship, not the left? seriously?

It’s conservatives tearing down statues, banning liberals from big tech social media, banning To Kill A Mockingbird? It’s the GOP embracing cancel
culture?

the state has rules. public servants have to obey the rules. there’s nothing new about parents expressing concern if they don’t like what they see in the classroom.

i taught public middle school, it never occurred to
me to attack parents for being involved enough to express concern.

sure it can go to far. but the existence of a way for parents to express concerns, is t any kind of red flag, certainly to any good teacher who’s not determined to indoctrinate his students
Old 01-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
No it won't, and you actually may want to read the book.
i’m theory, you’re right and they’re way off.

however, if we ban books from public schools which show illustrations of two boys blowing each other at the same
time, i’m not going to lose any sleep.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
you’re saying it’s the right engaging in censorship, not the left? seriously?

It’s conservatives tearing down statues, banning liberals from big tech social media, banning To Kill A Mockingbird? It’s the GOP embracing cancel
culture?

the state has rules. public servants have to obey the rules. there’s nothing new about parents expressing concern if they don’t like what they see in the classroom.

i taught public middle school, it never occurred to
me to attack parents for being involved enough to express concern.

sure it can go to far. but the existence of a way for parents to express concerns, is t any kind of red flag, certainly to any good teacher who’s not determined to indoctrinate his students
Glad you finally have put to paper that you support the statues of confederate idols

Colin K would say he got canc.

There’s a bill advancing in the Florida Senate declaring that an individual “should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.

Poor little snowflakes.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Glad you finally have put to paper that you support the statues of confederate idols

Colin K would say he got canc.

There’s a bill advancing in the Florida Senate declaring that an individual “should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.

Poor little snowflakes.
Teddy Roosevelt’s gets torn down in NYC, where they have a statue of George Floyd.

defend that.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:

Colin K would say he got canc
not for being black, not for embracing liberalism. For bashing the country in a dishonest way, in a way that might insult the leagues customers.

if i owned a business, am i required to employ someone ( at great cost, by the way) who goes out of his way to give the finger to half my customers?

i don’t have a huge problem taking down statues of specific southern, pro slavery insurrectionists.

But the left has gone way further than that. George Washington, Teddy Roosevelt? Come on.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
PaulS

Evolution - wah, sniff, sniff. I'm going to tell the governor on you it hurt my feelings. Snowflakes

Defend that!
Old 01-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Evolution - wah, sniff, sniff. I'm going to tell the governor on you

Defend that!
i won’t defend that, but is that happening?

but, i have no problem alerting the state if white kids are told their whiteness is any kind of liability or scarlet letter because if something that happened a long time ago. or if boys are told their
masculinity is bad.

apples and oranges

if a teacher gets in trouble for teaching evolution, i’m on your side.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #15
PaulS

Evolution is taught in schools just as how we got involved in Iraq war. Discussing if humans are impacting climate change, Vaccines. Anyone can complain about anything they want.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Evolution is taught in schools just as how we got involved in Iraq war. Discussing if humans are impacting climate change, Vaccines. Anyone can complain about anything they want.
complaining about teaching evolution is one thing.

complaining that a child is taught that their skin color bestows them with guilt, is something very very different. liberals are free to believe that all they want obviously, but it doesn’t belong in a public school.

anyone can complain today paul, it’s a free country. this is just giving parents a common, specific route to complain.

of course democrats want to flag those who do, as domestic terrorists.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:

does this apply to all races?
Old 01-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
complaining about teaching evolution is one thing.

complaining that a child is taught that their skin color bestows them with guilt, is something very very different. liberals are free to believe that all they want obviously, but it doesn’t belong in a public school.

anyone can complain today paul, it’s a free country. this is just giving parents a common, specific route to complain.

of course democrats want to flag those who do, as domestic terrorists.
You referring to the Republicans who called for their elected representative to kneel to the cross.
Harassing a person who’s willing to serve his country both in the armed services and as a representative of the people?
Only Christians may apply?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-28-2022, 04:06 PM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You referring to the Republicans who called for their elected representative to kneel to the cross.
Harassing a person who’s willing to serve his country both in the armed services and as a representative of the people?
Only Christians may apply?
pete speaking in tongues.....
Old 01-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
pete speaking in tongues.....
pure gibberish.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #21
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

What’s old is new, it’s the new moral majority, teach only what doesn’t make us and little Johnny or Susie uncomfortable.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
What’s old is new, it’s the new moral majority, teach only what doesn’t make us and little Johnny or Susie uncomfortable.
I've forgotten, do leftists ever complain about things, thoughts or ideas that make them "uncomfortable"? Isn't that what they invented safe spaces for?
Old 01-28-2022, 07:57 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it Stripers View Post
your side took teddy roosevelt’s statue down. those were adults who couldn’t handle it. adults by age that is.

imagine the nerve of parents to want their teachers, whom they pay, to not shame their kids for their skin color. those parents are obviously terrorists.

we can’t all be as thick skinned as the cancel culture advocates.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I've forgotten, do leftists ever complain about things, thoughts or ideas that make them "uncomfortable"? Isn't that what they invented safe spaces for?
leftists are all for free speech, they never censor anyone. never ever.

thumb s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g, safe space seeking, snowflakes, are now lecturing the rest of us about sticks and stones and names will
never hurt me.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:18 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
pure gibberish.
When crowds show up at Jewish representatives houses with signs saying "Stand for the flag, kneel for the cross," you might want to read up on antisemitism and what it spawned.

I can't overemphasize that most Germans were in disbelief that the Nazis were able to assume power and completely manipulate the institutions of law and education.

They were able to do this by breaking all the established norms for acceptable behavior, and getting away with it

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-28-2022, 10:52 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:

I can't overemphasize that most Germans were in disbelief that the Nazis were able to assume power and completely manipulate the institutions of law and education.

They were able to do this by breaking all the established norms for acceptable behavior, and getting away with it
This sounds a lot like how Progressives have been able break all our established norms in education, marriage, sex, gender, limited government, taxation, American exceptionalism, respect for the flag, scope and power of the Federal Government . . . and getting away with it.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:16 AM   #27
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
This sounds a lot like how Progressives have been able break all our established norms in education, marriage, sex, gender, limited government, taxation, American exceptionalism, respect for the flag, scope and power of the Federal Government . . . and getting away with it.
exactly....

it's like how leftists view a governor repealing mandates or banning mandates as "authoritarian" but the governor instituting those mandates even if they are unconstitutional, unnecessary or unpopular is not "authoritarian"

if you opposes leftist authoritarianism...that makes you an authoritarian and probably a bad person that needs to be punished

you have to stand on your head to think like a leftist....
Old 01-29-2022, 05:21 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:

I bet they instituted lots of mandates and requirements, kept the public constantly in fear and told that they were motivated by science and superior intellect and better education, probably used relentless propaganda and censorship with the help of media and industry, threatened the livelihoods of those who opposed their directives and isolated groups who were not compliant and targeted the children for reeducation, training them to think the right way about things, of course, they had lots of help from those that fell in line and mindlessly regurgitated the propaganda that the state and scientists were pushing
Old 01-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #29
wdmso

Tennessee school board recently voted to ban Art Spiegelman's “Maus,”

The 10-member board in McMinn County chose to remove “Maus” from its eighth-grade language arts curriculum, citing its profanity and nudity.

But don’t put a trans person in an adult prison and the usual suspects have a meltdown

But snitch lines for accountability for teachers is fine they’re the enemy indoctrinating conservatives youth

But don’t you dare question that heroic Cop who gunned down that unarmed person
Old 01-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

But don’t you dare question that heroic Cop who gunned down that unarmed person

this is probably poor, "bidenesque" timing to roll this out