Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Roof collapses

Two more today in Peabody, another on the Cape, one in Hyde Park, and the old Bayside Center in Dorchester. With all the media, how in the world can there be a building owner who has not addressed their roof's snow cover? They have had time to get the work done and removal crews have caught up with work orders. More than 150 collapses in Massachusetts this winter. Guess we are going to see more. I don't get it.....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
redlite

Good way to get insurance to pay for a roof that probably needed repairs in first place......
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
trevier

this winter is going to re-write building codes for Mass that's for sure.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
PaulS

All flat roofs?
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Good way to get insurance to pay for a roof that probably needed repairs in first place......
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You can pretty much bank on the insurance companies re-writing policies stating they will want to see evidence you attempted to clear snow off the roof before the collapse. Big money making deals for them and contractors.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Two more today in Peabody, another on the Cape, one in Hyde Park, and the old Bayside Center in Dorchester. With all the media, how in the world can there be a building owner who has not addressed their roof's snow cover? They have had time to get the work done and removal crews have caught up with work orders. More than 150 collapses in Massachusetts this winter. Guess we are going to see more. I don't get it.....
No excuse for it Ross... it really only takes a minimal effort to keep it safe... people just think it will never happen to them... I have a neighbor that has at least 6' of snow between the Garage roof and the side of their second story... no effort has been made to move it.. I feel it is a matter of time before it ends in a big bang.. and he USED to be the town manager...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Fly Rod

Friend of mine was a Lowes theater in Danvers and part of the ceiling came down 6 rows infront of him he and lady friend scurried out of the place.

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

well to play devil's advocate...you recently posted some ungodly amounts of money that people were charging to have your roof cleaned. If a person is elderly and on a fixed income.......they can't pay and they can't do it themselves.....all they can do is hope.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Rockfish9

saw a front porch collapsed this morning...on my way to work.. I was shocked at the amount of ice that was there..

I wonder if insurance companies would pay( at least in part) for the snow removal... it seems it would behoove them to.. it's a lot cheaper than replacing a house!

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote