Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Is that smoke I smell?

Wonder if there was Blue Tape involved?

Jeffrey Epstein sex trafficked underage girls, and President Donald Trump’s Secretary of Labor, Alexander Acosta, then a federal prosecutor in Miami, illegally kept details of Epstein's plea deal from victims, a federal judge ruled on Thursday.

In a series of explosive stories, the Miami Herald documented how, in 2017, federal prosecutors worked with Epstein’s lawyers to put together a plea deal that required the financier to plead guilty to two prostitution charges and serve 13 months in prison, despite overwhelming evidence of a widespread pattern of sex trafficking and sexual assault, and 103 “Jane Doe” victims. The deal ensured Epstein—and his unidentified co-conspirators—immunity from federal prosecution.

Acosta, now U.S. secretary of labor, which has oversight of international human trafficking and child labor violations, had agreed to seal the deal, withholding it from Epstein’s victims, many between 13 and 16 years old when they were abused, until it was too late for them to object in court.

Acosta played a major role in the deal that would immunize Epstein and his accomplices from federal prosecution and largely allowed Epstein’s lawyers to define the terms of the non-prosecution agreement, according to the Herald. The sealed agreement could potentially name other influential people from Epstein’s expansive network of elite friends.

“I don’t think anyone has been told the truth about what Jeffrey Epstein did,’’ Michelle Licata, who was 16 when Epstein sexually assaulted her, told the Herald. “He ruined my life and a lot of girls’ lives. People need to know what he did and why he wasn’t prosecuted so it never happens again.”

In response, two of Epstein’s victims filed suit in Florida, claiming prosecutors had violated the Crime Victims’ Rights Act, which grants victims the right to review possible plea deals with prosecutors. On Thursday, Judge Marra agreed, arguing that prosecutors broke the law by hiding the agreement from Epstein’s victims.

“Particularly problematic was the Government’s decision to conceal the existence of the [agreement] and mislead the victims to believe that federal prosecution was still a possibility,’’ the judge wrote. “When the Government gives information to victims, it cannot be misleading. While the Government spent untold hours negotiating the terms and implications of the [agreement] with Epstein’s attorneys, scant information was shared with victims.’’

Epstein, now a registered sex offender, is alleged to have trafficked minor girls, many from overseas, for sex parties at homes in Manhattan, New Mexico, the Caribbean and aboard his private plane, sometimes referred to as “The Lolita Express.” The Herald identified 80 women who claimed to have been sexually abused by Epstein from 2001 to 2006.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
spence

So what you're saying is that he's highly qualified to serve in the Trump administration?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

One would wonder who the un-indicted co-conspirators were.

At least some of Epstein’s powerful friends appear to have been aware of his crimes. For example, the current president of the United States told New York Magazine in 2002, “I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”

One of Epstein’s alleged victims, Virginia Giuffre, has claimed in court papers that she was recruited into the billionaire’s child sex ring when she was 15 — and working as a towel girl at Mar-a-Lago. She also claims that Dershowitz and Prince Andrew participated in her sexual abuse. The star attorney and British royal have vigorously denied those allegations.
Still, the incomprehensible leniency of Epstein’s plea deal — and the extraordinary provision immunizing any unnamed co-conspirators who participated in his trafficking ring from federal charges — both invite the dark suspicion that federal prosecutors felt compelled to protect an individual, or individuals, who were even more powerful than Epstein.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
Jim in CT

this actually looks really bad. very disturbing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Agree
Old 02-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
they've been pushing this one since 2017...I'm still waiting for one of these stories to actually go somewhere...you'd think all these virtuous and highly educated critical thinkers would have nailed vile buffoon Trump on something by now