Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
fishbones

Red Sox Sign Crawford!!!

It was just reported that the Sox signed Carl Crawford to a 7 year, $142 million deal. This changes the look of the AL East for the time being.

So much for me thinking they would only add middle reflief after trading for Gonzalez.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Wow

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yeah Baby....probably running out of cash....but a quality starter would be pretty pissah right about now too...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Great! 2 overpaid rightfielders???? What are we doing with JD Drew's 16 mil a year contract??? They said Crawford will be in right???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

So we just got another 1st baseman.....which we didn't need......and another right fielder??? When we needed a catcher and middle relief???

Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
vineyardblues

He is a big deal,, good for us
Should be fun watching ball this spring , lot's of speed
Short right field , starting next year ! Very interesting 4 sure
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

this is going be an exciting team!

ells- 50 sb
pedroia- 25 sb
crawford- 50 sb
gonsalez- 40 hr
papi- 30 hr
youk- 30 hr
drew- 20hr
lowrie/scoutaro-?
catcher-?

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
ThomCat

Hey Big Fish Larry, I take it U don't approve of the weeks festivities. It's worth it just to watch the Yankits squirm and besides I ain't payin' 'em....

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Crawford is a Left Fielder....Guy has Speed and can hit for Average. Crawford, Elsbury, and Drew for our outfield is pretty sweet.

We needed a Third Baseman......we picked up a 1st baseman and we can move Youkilis to 3rd....which is what he was in the 1st place. Our corners are pretty solid now w/ gold glove players at both positions....who also both have power and hit for average.

Yeah, we need a catcher....but we will need to come to terms w/ the fact that we will be weak at that position this year.....unless we can miraculously find a diamond in the rough somewhere.

Middle Relief!!! If the Sox were m#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g around w/ middle relief this early in the free agent season I think my head might have exploded. I'd love to see them get another quality starter and send Dice-K to the pen for long relief stints.

they just made the team so much better by leaps and bounds.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
chrisjoe13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
So we just got another 1st baseman.....which we didn't need......and another right fielder??? When we needed a catcher and middle relief???
So..you're happy that Tek was signed but unhappy with the addition of Crawford and Gonzo???
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Guess this means no Cliff Lee?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Rays have been stripped down pretty good with the loss of Crawford and Pena.
I would think Cameron's name has to be getting offered around in trade talks for pitching.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
tysdad115

This brings them 4 million short of 300 million in contracts this year so far. I will humbly offer myself to pitch middle relief for 2.5 million a year. A big lefty with a heater and change up around 60mph. I will need a clause in the terms-I wont be available to pitch a week before or after certain moon/tide cycles. This leaves 1.5 for another relief pitcher. Who else is in?

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Guess this means no Cliff Lee?
Doubtful....but it would be a huge FU to the Yank-mees if they swooped in and grabbed him out from under them

Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
pmueller
Captain Pete

As good as it gets. I've had the feeling that Theo has been sitting on his hands last few years, letting the catcher and third base position be weak.
Youk at third is no problem at all. He does not care were he plays. Its sooooo nice to see we got the goods and NY is picking their nose. lol.
After they let Beltre go, I thouight this was going to be another humbug winter.
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
fishbones

Sox made a 7 year offer to Lee. Probably just to drive up the price and tweak the Yankees. Cashman seems to be a little on edge the last couple of days.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Sox made a 7 year offer to Lee. Probably just to drive up the price and tweak the Yankees. Cashman seems to be a little on edge the last couple of days.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WEEI said it was a "Lowball" offer, of 7 years. Supposedly others have offered 6 year deals. This could be a good start.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Now that they signed crawford the need for a quality catcher is less important, partly due to the fact that they wont have to try to throw Crawford out trying to steal 19 games a year X 4 at bats per game...

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

wow. like I said Theo always seems to have a plan, it doesn't always work out but he is always thinking. A little left handed heavy but I don't care, we'll live with it . K Y to third which is where he would rather be and JD gone after next year. Left field Lawrence. You would rather have Beltre and Youk instead of Youk and A G.? Wrong. Going to be a fun year no matter how it pans out.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Rockfish9

I like it.. he was always been a sox killer when he was in Tampa...

What I lreally like is the prospect of the 4 teams...Celtics are crushing everyone put in front of them ( now they will lose to the Nicks tonight) the Bruins are playing inspired hockey most nights.. the Pats seem to be hitting stride in time for the playoffs... and with the New additions to the sox.. there is hope...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
Slammer223

Not a typical Sox team.This year the opposing catcher has to sweat.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #22
stcroixman

red sox trying to buy the pennant! That is what is always said about the Yankees.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

They need to get rid of a couple of "Albatross" contracts.....JD and Dice K. They both make way too much for what they give. Crawford is NOT a 20 mil a year player and that is for damn sure!!!! 20 mil a year players either hit 40+ dingers a year, drive in 130 and win an MVP award or they win 25 games and whiff 300 a season and win a CY!!! You can have Crawford....he is all yours.....I choose to think it was a horrible deal for what we will be getting......he is a Gold Glove First Baseman?????? Big Deal, they don't get much better than Youk at first???

19 homers and 107 RBI are his best for a season......20 mil a year???? Wow you guys are mad!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Again....he is a Left Fielder. He is a very solid well rounded baseball player. He hits for average, has speed on the base paths, covers a lot of ground in the outfield. a good addition to the team.

It ain't all about just HRs....if Drew was worth 16 mil a year way back when....why isn't this guy worth 20.

Salaries are out of control...at least they can afford to keep up w/ the Yank-mees

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #25
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomCat View Post
Hey Big Fish Larry, I take it U don't approve of the weeks festivities. It's worth it just to watch the Yankits squirm and besides I ain't payin' 'em....
TomCat......you have been conspicuously absent! I have missed you....nice to have you back!!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #26
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

It ain't all about homeruns???? (19 is his best season?) It ain't all about RBI???? (His best season for these 90?) It ain't all about batting average???? (.307 his best season??) What is it all about then????? 20 million dollar a season players should only get that kind of money when they are producing!!!! You people are insane if you think this was a great pickup????

Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

He is a career .300 hitter???? So was Mike Greenwell and there was no friggin' way he was gonna make this kind of money???

JD Drew was a huge mistake in my eyes when they signed him for that money!!! I said it then???? They were signing him for what they thought "HE MIGHT DO"......how did that work out?? And this is what they have signed Crawford for...."WHAT THEY THINK HE MIGHT DO"!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #28
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I have to think that outside the northeast corridor, baseball fans see no difference between how the Sox and Yankees put their teams together, ie. just go out and buy it. It seems that the only way to compete is by having the big checkbook. I miss the old days of developing a team from within.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #29
chrisjoe13

Probably gonna see less and less 40+ HR guys as the years go on. This is the Post steroid era. There will be more and more well rounded players than in the past.

The last time the Redsox threw Crawford out stealing was 2004.
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Now that is one the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard Chris??? How old are you??? You do realize players used to hit 40 to 50 homers a year routinely and they were never on the juice!!! Mays, Aaron, Williams, Mantle, Maris, Jackson, Schmidt......ever hear of these guys? I need someone.....anyone to shine the light on this signing and try and express to me why Crawford is worth 20 million dollars a season and for the next 7 years no less????? Any takers??