Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Mr. Ed

Here are some photos to help you out with the Jr.'s. lip configurations. White being P. yellow being BM. I will post a picture of the larger Conrad lip compared to the Jr. when it arrives. The plugs are different dia., they BM being larger by .062. Thus the lips will be wider. Seems the BM lip is exact same width to the dia. of the plug. The P. plug is .050 larger than the lip, and the Pinchney lip is .090 smaller than the BM lip width wise which I am sure you can observe in the photos. The P. is also turned up onthe side too. I made my lips to match the exact same dia. of the plug. Seems to me that the lips for BM were made much more uniformed, punched I am sure, than the P. ones which seem more crude and probably fluctuate more frequently. Both these are weighted in the belly in the same location. You can look at Numb x-rays to see the length of the P.'s belly weight. Got to go play Barbie's now Hope it helps. P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1452.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24960   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1453.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	24961  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

undercarriage shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_1454.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	24962  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Raven

Talking hopefully

Ken takes Barbie to the beach
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
undercarriage shots.
that slight upturn on the P. edge seems to add something to the motion of the lure that just slays them. I have been out with RM Smith and been totalled smoked by orignal P's in that config. need to mess around with that lip config more.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Most of P. are like that. I have a few BM's that are like that and some not like that. Pretty easy to do Bill. Gives it a tighter wiggle.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Paul ... is that lip slot slightly on the high side ,, Off center ... swear I've seen them more extreme than that ... even higher

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Paul ... is that lip slot slightly on the high side ,, Off center ... swear I've seen them more extreme than that ... even higher
Yes lip slot is cut above the center on both. By my calculations, and these are only from plugs I have measured, the lip slot is .050 above center on the P. and .100 above center on the BM. The front face of the lip is .600 long. It ends up even with the bottom of the P. and slightly above the the bottom of the plug on the BM. Now you also have to take into account they put the slot in the same exact place on each of the 1000's of plugs they made or make. Taking that into account, variation, I would think they shoot for the bend to be pretty much even with the bottom of the plug IMO. I also seem to remember the lip being even higher, extreme, above center on the full size Conrads. But look at these pictures below and they only look slightly above center like the Jr.'s We shall see when I get it in my hands. I really think the lip orientation is fairly variable + or - .030 on the location, which probably gives pretty consistent swimming action either side of the 1/32 location. Not to say if you could put them exact every time that you would be better off. P.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DannyP'sConradsbig1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	24964  

Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Paul,
do the Jr's sink?

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
Paul,
do the Jr's sink?
No. Both the original Jr and Sr that I posted xrays of float the same, level with the water just above the lip slot and the tail just under. The original Jr that Paul showed has its lip very close to the centerline, but the larger version has its lip 1/8" above the centerline. I think, however, that I have seen Jr versions with the lip also above the centerline and I am wondering if this was the way he did it with earlier maple versions.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote