Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
basswipe

Wounded Warrior Project Scam!

Apparently nothing is sacred when it comes to the almighty dollar.How sad.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/12...-a-legal-scam/
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/12/27/282381/

This is the kind of sh!t that makes me furious.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
massbassman

How pathetic... these kind of people are the true scum of the earth. Just sad.
massbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Raven

i think the people themselves would get more out of their Donations if they were hand delivered
to their nearest wounded Warrior rather than entrust the job
to these ripoff so called charities.
~
and it's not just happening with WWP it happens to many of the charities
and in some cases the money gets siphoned off to al Qaeda so we end up
funding the Terrorists that are Wounding our Warriors.
Recently the Government discovered an Office building that was completely confiscated
because it was owned by "the Bad guys" right in "our" city.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
The unfortunate side of getting as large as they have.

That said, anyone questioning whether they help or not,

When you turn around and actually do something for some of these guys coming back on the verge of suicide, lost with no clue what to do, lost in a mountain of VA bureaucratic BS paperwork, you can talk all the trash you want.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-30-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Raven

One thing i thought was a real benefit to our wounded warriors
with PTSD........ from serving in Iraq or Afghanistan
was the participation in small farming operations like working
in a greenhouse tending to plants ,planting seeds in a very tranquil setting
bringing new life into the world after experiencing the horrors of war.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
likwid
lobster = striper bait

WWP response from facebook:

This article you are referring to is false. The claim that WWP does little, if any, direct support of wounded veterans and programs is simply untrue. WWP has 19 direct programs and services such as Family Support Programs, Combat Stress Recovery Program and Transition Training Academy that veterans and their families participate in every day. The article also makes claims that based on our 2011 990, we spent $95 million on administrative and fundraising costs and less than 10% of donations actually reached wounded veterans. That is absolutely incorrect. If you actually read our 990 here http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...00-fy-2012.pdf, (page 10) you will see it reflects $95.5 million in TOTAL expenses including $69.5 million spent on our programs and services. Moreover, the IRS form 990 does not present a complete picture of donations and expenditures the way independently audited financials do, and it does nothing to measure impact. Based on Wounded Warrior Project's fiscal year 2012 audited financial statements, 81.6 percent of total expenditures goes directly to our 19 programs and services for wounded veterans and their families. We pride ourselves on being a leader in the industry in reporting results from our programs. You can visit: http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...-we-serve.aspx to see the real impact we are making. For more on our strategy for growing and meeting the needs of this generation of wounded servicemembers, visit wwpinc.org/npt.

Whatever psycho came up with those claims needs to be dragged in the mud and forced to work in a trauma unit for a year.
And from the looks of it he works for ANOTHER group (yes WORKS for) and slags on anyone else.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I saw a comparison of % expenses by the various veteran's programs and most are in the %50 range.
The USO was one of the highest. Besides salaries the advertising is an expensive proposition.
I try to contribute to causes with a less than %10 expense. Most of those are church/
synagogue relegious charities where people are already in place and paid by the congregation.
I'm still willing to contribute to our vets even if only %50 gets to them. We need to to support our Heroes someway.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Disgusting ,,, There are a lot more of these scams , No Conscience ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I'm still willing to contribute to our vets even if only %50 gets to them. We need to to support our Heroes someway.
I would agree but I am no longer going thru these "corporate" organizations,I don't donate money to pay some dude a six figure salary.There are plenty of local organizations that directly help vets that can use the money,the vets home in Bristol being a fine example.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

WWP on Charity Navigator

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...2#.UueterQo5EY

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I wonder why WWP can't have more money go to the cause like the Homes for Our Troops does? Something is fishy if you asked me.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I wonder why WWP can't have more money go to the cause like the Homes for Our Troops does? Something is fishy if you asked me.
Because they're nation wide and gigantic. Maybe you missed the fact that their annuals were more than ten times that of Homes for Our Troops?

Better yet why don't you ask them instead of making lame comments?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Stewie
Scarecrow

Charities are a tough business. One that my wife and I contribute to spends 80% of their revenue on advertising and mailing. The people who run it do not take a salary. More money can be raised through aggressive advertising and mailing than just sitting around waiting for others to send help.

The fact that so little of your donated cash gets to those who need it is sad, but there is no easy way around it.

.......Elvis Lives
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I like making "lame comments" about how inefficient charities run their organizations, I forgot how perfect you were likwid and how you must be friends with the bigwigs who make those huge salaries. I would ask them myself if I had any reasonable disposable money laying around, but I guess I'd rather donate other stuff to those in need directly. I'm sure the things they do for wounded warriors is helping many, but the more I learn , the more I see it is not exactly spread evenly.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
I like making "lame comments" about how inefficient charities run their organizations, I forgot how perfect you were likwid and how you must be friends with the bigwigs who make those huge salaries. I would ask them myself if I had any reasonable disposable money laying around, but I guess I'd rather donate other stuff to those in need directly. I'm sure the things they do for wounded warriors is helping many, but the more I learn , the more I see it is not exactly spread evenly.
Tell us about all the "learning" you did about Wounded Warrior from one website about where the funds go then?

And have you even read the "bigwigs" biographies?
You might not be so prone to throw bs around.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
basswipe

Quote:
While I'm still awaiting my exile I have to comment on this thread.

Excellent reply Slip.Couldn't have said it better myself but I'll try anyway.

To likwid:For the last 20+yrs I have worked construction mostly as a painter and before that did 4yrs myself.My oh such much better half has worked for the same insurance company for 29yrs.Between taxes,the mortgage and a thousand other headaches we are just getting by.When I donate it has to count,I'm sure as hell not going to donate to an organization that pays the people who run it six figure salaries and whether you approve or not,WWP is now one of those organizations.

There really are better places you can donate your money(and time!) to where all of it goes to the people who truly need it...just look in your local community.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
While I'm still awaiting my exile I have to comment on this thread.

Excellent reply Slip.Couldn't have said it better myself but I'll try anyway.

To likwid:For the last 20+yrs I have worked construction mostly as a painter and before that did 4yrs myself.My oh such much better half has worked for the same insurance company for 29yrs.Between taxes,the mortgage and a thousand other headaches we are just getting by.When I donate it has to count,I'm sure as hell not going to donate to an organization that pays the people who run it six figure salaries and whether you approve or not,WWP is now one of those organizations.

Their really are places you can donate your money(and time!) to where all of it goes to the people who truly need it...just look in your local community.
I donate my money and time to WWP because of what they do, because of people I've met that helped found programs that are part of WWP. Because of people I've met that WWP has helped that is grateful for it existing.

Because they saved a friend of mine from blowing his brains out when the VA basically told him he was ok.

So you know what? Go donate your time and money wherever you want, if you want to run your mouth, swing around to an event and tell the organizers and wounded vets there what you think of WWP.

Or just eff off.

Up to you.

This quote says it all:

Quote:
Look. I've gotten a lot out of being in the WWP as I was medivac out of Afghanistan. Who cares if he CEO keeps the majority of proceeds, if members in program get what they need while an WWP Alumni thats what matters. All of you BOZOS need to focus on whining more about more serious crap.

Last edited by likwid; 01-30-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
I donate my money and time to WWP because of what they do, because of people I've met that helped found programs that are part of WWP. Because of people I've met that WWP has helped that is grateful for it existing.

Because they saved a friend of mine from blowing his brains out when the VA basically told him he was ok.

So you know what? Go donate your time and money wherever you want, if you want to run your mouth, swing around to an event and tell the organizers and wounded vets there what you think of WWP.

Or just eff off.

Up to you.
Really now.AS A VET don't you ever tell me what I can and cannot do to help my fellow vets out.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #19
basswipe

Btw TDF I notice there seem to be a whole lot of acronyms here that look to anyone with a brain cell like f-bombs.Might want to break out the sharpie.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
basswipe

Quote:
Look. I've gotten a lot out of being in the WWP as I was medivac out of Afghanistan. Who cares if he CEO keeps the majority of proceeds, if members in program get what they need while an WWP Alumni thats what matters. All of you BOZOS need to focus on whining more about more serious crap
What?Who are you quoting?What's the source of that quote?You made that quote all up on your own.Admit it.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #21
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
What?Who are you quoting?What's the source of that quote?You made that quote all up on your own.Admit it.
Pulled right from the WWP FB.

Yeah, I made it up. Right. Clown.

Back to the reality of WWP, they're a 150 million dollar a year charity. They have a paid staff, at that scale and breadth of reach, you need to have a paid staff that knows what the hell they're doing. This isn't your boy scout troop collecting donations. This isn't your local church schlubbing from its flock. This is a group with a global reach helping guys before they even hit US soil organizing HUNDREDS of events all over the country every single month. Almost all the paid staff started as volunteers busting their butts and grinding out the hours to get things done long before being paid. Do they deserve it? Oh hell yes. Does the executive staff deserve their pay? For the lobbying alone to get the gov to acknowledge PTSD? Yup.

I'm sure you never bothered to actually look at who the exec staff are. Here's a hint, most are vets, or spent their prior careers lobbying/supporting vets.

How's the egg feel?

Clowns.

Last edited by likwid; 01-31-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #22
Sea Dangles

To put things in perspective for guys like Ted who are passionate but occasionally misguided...I like to donate to cancer related causes. The charity I choose to use is the Pan Mass Challenge. This group is run very well, to the point where 100% of my donation is going directly towards the cure. There are certainly larger organizations but my money will not be getting the cats fat. None of these groups are doing anything bad but some do it better than others. Personally I would show more respect in this instance;Thank You for serving Basswipe!I am grateful for your service. Oh,and thank you Ted for fixing boats or something...

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #23
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I can see you are over reacting quite a bit there know it all
we are not denying that they do good, no where did I say that so if you are taking criticism personally, well too bad. Sorry your friend had a tough time, I'm sure he deserves better.
This is America, we have a choice where to send charity money. They seem to be doing very well without me. If I wish to help out more locally, that is my choice. You act like a little child outraged that I question something I read on the internet. maybe you should grow up.
And I understand that there are expenses to raising money for these causes, and it is better to have 50 cents than nothing go to those who need it. I just get tired of 5-6 phone calls a day from various paid fundraisers , so I go directly to the source. If more people in this country actually did some actual work making a product, then maybe the economy would not be so sluggish and people would be more willing to donate to those who need .

I'm done with commenting

I wish them well and hope more wounded warriors get the help they need

Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #24
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I can see you are over reacting quite a bit there know it all
we are not denying that they do good, no where did I say that so if you are taking criticism personally, well too bad. Sorry your friend had a tough time, I'm sure he deserves better.
This is America, we have a choice where to send charity money. They seem to be doing very well without me. If I wish to help out more locally, that is my choice. You act like a little child outraged that I question something I read on the internet. maybe you should grow up.
And I understand that there are expenses to raising money for these causes, and it is better to have 50 cents than nothing go to those who need it. I just get tired of 5-6 phone calls a day from various paid fundraisers , so I go directly to the source. If more people in this country actually did some actual work making a product, then maybe the economy would not be so sluggish and people would be more willing to donate to those who need .

I'm done with commenting

I wish them well and hope more wounded warriors get the help they need
A voice of reason, and common sense.
Agree on the computerized phone calls Slip, calls start at 8:15 AM and don't end till 9:30 PM. My wife has a good answer for them, "you donate to my favorite charity and I'll donate to yours".
Even getting calls on Sunday.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Oh,and thank you Ted for fixing boats or something...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote