Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Muskyslayer96

New to kayaking need recommendations

Hey fellas,

My New years resolution was to increase my time on the water this year and I tend to have to fish solo a lot. I would really like to give kayak fishing a shot, but have no idea where to start. My head spins when I read all the online reviews????

I will be fishing rivers and small lakes with it, I'm 5'9" and 185-200 depending on the time of year

i will be targeting multi-species...including river muskies. Like the idea of standing to fish? Any suggestions on the best model for my interests and what it would take to get it rigged correctly (I know it's a lot of info0

Thanks in advance

MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
iamskippy

5'9" 200, im calling BS on this one! I thought the BFRO was out looking for you!

Check out the hobie ocean yaks, they have a nice fishing model that escapes my mind at this moment, but woth your "alleged" size and the size of the fish you maybe targeting, you may want one of those ocean yaks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
BigBo

You need to figure a budget first of all. There are so many choices these days. You can spend $300-$3000 depending on what you want and what your budget will be.
Whatever you wind up with, keep it simple for a while. Don't rig anything until you've used it and have figured what you really need and what you really don't need.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Atom Papa

Kayaks

I bought a sit on top last year. My first. From West Marine in Narragansett. I preferred the sit on top do to waves potentially going over you or if you got tossed off it is not a big deal to get back in. I cn stand up on this thing. Also I weigh 240 #. 6'2". The price was around $750. Reasonable for a first. I took it to Black Rock last year rtwice and Ninigret Pond. It is toptally different form fisshing from the beach. I did not get a rudder which I do regret. As you fish, you find yourself readjusting your position. The rudder allows you to use your feet to do that. Thats where the price jumps. Have fun.
Atom Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Raven

WELCOME TO S-B Atom Papa !

What recommendations did you need?

The Kayaker's will answer
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
FishermanTim

Find a place that allows you to test a few models, that way you can find the right style (sit-in or sit-on).
Once you know that you can check out prices to match your budget.
Remember that just because a yak comes with all the bells and whistles, it doesn't mean that yuo NEED all the bells and whistles!

Keep it simple and build from there.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Do you fish plugs a lot? I had a paddle Yak and found it to be a pain when trying to fish plugs....I ended up selling it and getting a Hobie so I could have my hands free.

Like FT said....try different models and find one that is right for you

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Nebe

I reccomend a hobie revolution or an outback.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote