Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
$2.94 to $3.09 in 24 hours?!?!?

Now what the "F" has caused this spike???? President talks on TV for 5 minutes about nothing fuel related and the price jumps 15 cents a gallon??????

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

What I want to know is why when the price of a gallon of crude goes UP we feel the price at the pump immediately.....but when the price goes DOWN (like yesterday) it takes days for it to trickle down to us.

you would think the price,if anything would have dropped a couple of cents, or at least remained consistent.

Its the "Katrina" Effect.....New England got flooded and the price jumps....I guess all the flood waters took out all those Refineries along the Merrimac River.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Yeah....the flooding here relates directly to the cost fluctuation of fuel.......hey whatever it takes for these $%&*@er's to stick it up our a$$ a little further!!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Raven

Arrow your missing some news

chavez said prices per barrel of crude could go as high as $100 dollars a barrel. regardless of whether or not thats a true or accurate statement ...he mentioned selling cheap heating oil to europe but not to us... and in Nigeria an exon mobile executive was assassinatewd last week...so we are in a very volatile period.... in iraq oil pipelines are sabotaged daily !!

plus....it's also a ploy to convert ->us americans into thinking smaller
more fuel effecient cars...instead of riding around in their empty muscle trucks or RV's
which are what took over for the hot rods of the 70's
when they got replaced by the pickup.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Now what the "F" has caused this spike???? President talks on TV for 5 minutes about nothing fuel related and the price jumps 15 cents a gallon??????
Check your calendar.

If the price jumped from $2.95 to $3.25 overnight on the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, it'd be a clear case of gouging.

If it goes up in 5 cent increments in the next ten days, well, that's the market for ya

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Karl F

Radio Station on the cape said something about the increase being related to that big refinery fire last week
Who Knows For Sure.. but, as Mike P said... Memorial Day is coming... time to start sneaking it up for the peak traffic weekend.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
riarcher

I'm thining,,
remember Kuate?
On Iraq,,,, to the victor goes the spoils?
Sorry,, never claimed to be politicly correct,,, but danged!
I wonder if these folks are getting U.S. Foreign Aid? (answers not req'd.)
I'm still impressed on how the jailbirds at the local ACI can get "free" college educations at the taxpayer's expense.
Even when incarcerated I feel they're still robbing me! (again, answer not req'd.)
,,,,, and I wonder why my paycheck has dwindled in buying power?
riarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
bluzjamer

Send a message via AIM to bluzjamer Send a message via Yahoo to bluzjamer
Look....lot of this is supply and demand crap. I have an suv I bought when gas was $1.60 a gal., I though I'd get a boat and needed a tow vehicle. Well the boat went down the drain and I still have the payments on the SUV....gas guzzler heaven. Ok..I'll live with it. People with RV's getting 5 mi. a gallon should rethink things. Sport fisherman with twin monster motors should think about buying their fish instead of fishing for them. I used to have a 28 footer single screw that only got 2-3 mi. a gallon with a mid sized 8 cyl, power.
Lot of these monster fishing boats have huge 8's or big deisels that are lucky to see 1 mi. a gallon each engine. They should be on gas rations. I don't care if they can afford it or not. I love it when I see big power cruisers going from one dining spot to another just for drinks. 100's of gallons in fuel for a better cocktail, jeez take a limo it's more efficient. Companies are abusers of fuel also. Many company trucks are fuel hogs and the employees have no say, I know I tried and was told to just drive. Big 8 cyl. vans when a Venture or pickup 4-6 cyl would do.
Do you want to fight back against these oil producing countries?
Don't buy their products. Don't buy that Chineese reel. Buy oil that is produced here. Buy American made products even if they cost a little more. I know it's hard, most stuff is not totally made in America anymore. Same with the Immigration problem, if they couldn't find work they would never have come. Just my $.02, not trying to start a flame war.
bluzjamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
bluzjamer

Send a message via AIM to bluzjamer Send a message via Yahoo to bluzjamer
Ok want to see what $3 a gallon buys:

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=OYxeTJ
bluzjamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
hulkyj61
The one that got away

I don't understand any of this. Katrina made gas go way up for 3 weeks, and the oil companies said it was because the the refining was shut down. Refining takes 60-90 days!!! Then 3 months later gas was back down when it should have been way up. These oil companies are making up reasons for oil to be so high. The also know we aren't going to stop buying the stuff. The thing is, we can't do much about it, yah there are audits and investigations but that's not gonna do anything. What is comes down to is basic economics and price elasticity. They have found out, after Katrina, that there is a ton of flex in how much they can charge for the stuff.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
hulkyj61 is offline   Reply With Quote