Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #181
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, there's a pragmatic position that says energy costs will rise as carbon sources are finite and global consumption is rising.

There's the Republican position that oil is infinite because God made it so, nobody can tell you that 6000 pound SUV isn't your right to drive by the glory of the American flag and if we do have an issue the free market will have long since resolved the issue (note: probably with Chinese technology).

-spence
are you making a point or just stomping your feet?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #182
scottw

Quote:
nobody can tell you that 6000 pound SUV isn't your right to drive by the glory of the American flag -spence
YES HE CAN!!!

Obama: "We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK"

I wonder how much Obama's car weighs and what kind of mileage it gets?

I looked it up...The vehicle fuel consumption is about 8 miles per US gallon.

kinda like everything else with this president isn't it?...does it reflect badly on his character Spence?

I'd post some pics of him eating but it's not pretty and he likes to keep the temps in the rooms that he is occupying Hawaii warm

Last edited by scottw; 03-01-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #183
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Some Math, gas was 9% LOWER (adjusted for inflation) when Bush
left office than when he started.

When Obama took office gas was $1.83/ gal., and now we are headed
for $5 maybe $6. What a difference 3yrs makes.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #184
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
YES HE CAN!!!

Obama: "We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK"

I wonder how much Obama's car weighs and what kind of mileage it gets?

Well, he drove a Chrysler 300 before he was elected and did his
campaining, not mispelled , in an SUV.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #185
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
When Obama took office gas was $1.83/ gal., and now we are headed
for $5 maybe $6. What a difference 3yrs makes.
So what's the difference?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #186
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
So what's the difference?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Like I said, some Math, be my guest if you choose.
I think you divide the lower # by the higher one.

Last edited by justplugit; 03-01-2012 at 07:57 PM..

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #187
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

You could believe in god and not be religious. Religion is man made, run by man, all rules created by man. I've studied religion all my life, fascinated by it, but I can never follow an organized religion. I know to much.
I dont for a minute believe someone who is religious is morally better than someone who is not or someone who is an atheist.
FACT - Catholics believe that the sacrament of communion is the ACTUAL body and blood of JC, not a symbol, but actual body and blood. That every mass an ACTUAL miracle takes place and the host is turned into body, then you EAT the body of JC.
Thats the fact.
My opinion? Anyone that believes that is insane. Period. Thus I feel intellectually superior to most hard core catholics. (ps. most catholics dont believe that and dont follow many church rules, but its a FACT that the church does believe and teach that)
So, to each his own.
which god do you believe in? do you believe in the God of the Bible? if so, what would you know of him without the Bible? There are many "man-made"religions that place their "faith" in many forms of "higher power" and not necessarily in a god...if you believe in the God of the Bible, do you study religion through the Bible or the Bible through religion..there's a difference...and do you apply that study to other "religions"...there is a difference there as well....if you believe in the God of the Bible, do you believe that he created you and all that you see? If you accept that remarkable ability ...do you not believe that wine and host could not be the body and blood of Jesus and representative of his sacrafice, is it insane?....I'm pretty sure that Jesus was quoted as saying "this is my body..... this is my blood....do this in memory of me"..I'm happy to provide the full quote should Spence request it.....do you believe in Jesus as Saviour?...what do you hope for when your time here is concluded and do you think any of it is tied to what the Bible teaches? I ask these questions because many of the things that you say seem contradictory when it comes to your belief....maybe you know too much

Last edited by scottw; 03-02-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #188
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, according to Jim President Obama said "higher gas prices would be good for America" (Jim's quotes).

He's a rational man who's mathematically obsessed with FACTS.

I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

-spence
I have to admit, the only reference I could find was energy secretary Chu who said this...

"“Somehow,” Chu said, “we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.”

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...reply&p=924457

Spence, I admit I cannot find a quote attributing that to Obama. Now, will you show us the same courtesy? On the Romney dog thing, yuo said putting the dog on the roof says something about Romney's character. But when asked about Obama's character in terms of Rev Wright, you said that you need to consider the good that Wright did, before yuo make any judgments about Obama's character for associating with him. And for the record, you supplied zero evidence of any good done by Wright (who is a snake that got fabulously wealthy by peddling in hate), you just said you "bet" he's done some good things, too.

Spence, when you said something about Romney's character, why were you willing to makwe judgments based on one bad decision in isolation? In Obama's case, you said we need to consider all the good in connection with the bad. Why don't yuo offer Romney the same courtesy?

Answer...you are a hypocrit.

Lastly, Spence...If Mr Chu said he wants our gas prices to be as high as Europe's, and Obama picks this guy as ENERGY SECRETARY of all things, it stands to reason that Obama is on board.

There's a lot of political hay to be made of that statement for the GOP, when gas prices hit $5 in a few months.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #189
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well, there's a pragmatic position that says energy costs will rise as carbon sources are finite and global consumption is rising.

There's the Republican position that oil is infinite because God made it so, nobody can tell you that 6000 pound SUV isn't your right to drive by the glory of the American flag and if we do have an issue the free market will have long since resolved the issue (note: probably with Chinese technology).

-spence
Wait, wait!!!!!

Spence, here's what you said...

"There's the Republican position that oil is infinite because God made it "

OK, Spence. When I made a claim about somehting Obama said, yuo demanded that I prove it.

OK, buddy, what's good for the goose! Spence, please show us a video or post a link of a prominent Republican saying that.

I'm waiting Spence, and I'm all ears.

You just can't help shooting yourself in the foot, can you?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #190
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Wait, wait!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that's a Santorum quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #191
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I am in no means advocating that super high gas prices are GOOD. I'm not even Chu said it would be goo, and he didn't reference any impact other than on transitioning to other energy sources. The context that without a rise in gas prices, we will not move away from fossil fuels. This is probably a true statement

We need some kind of transition away from them, whether you believe we should for climate, pollution or national security. The reality is it will take some serious time to do (decades). The problem is, this can keeps getting kicked down the road...

The last lines:

Never mind that some energy experts say Chu had it exactly right, and that higher fuel prices would encourage consumers to buy more efficient vehicles, discourage suburban sprawl, make renewables more competitive and reduce U.S. reliance on imported oil. Not even Chu’s department is making that argument these days.

Read more: Steven Chu's Europe gas quote haunts President Obama - Bob King - POLITICO.com
"without a rise in gas prices, we will not move away from fossil fuels. "

Not true. We don't want gas prices to rise, that's not a healthy reason to transition to renewable energy. What we want is for renewable green energy to be cheaper than gas is today. Rockhound, if we set gas at $100 a gallon, then yes, it will be cheaper to buy crappy electric cars, and it will be cheaper to pay $50,000 to convert our houses to geo-thermal.

BUT WHO DOES THAT HELP? Anyone? Not that I see...

"The reality is it will take some serious time to do (decades)."

That's true, we are decades away from realistically-priced green energy. The question is, what do we do in the meantime? Because in the meantime, the world will use lots of oil. The countries that provide that oil, some of which are not very nice places, will make tons of money. It seems to me that here in America, we could use tons of money. Why let others get rich off of us? Why not cash in our lottery ticket, too? This is an issue for which I cannot fathom the view on the left, it's literally incomprehensible to me.

"The problem is, this can keeps getting kicked down the road..."

We are? Kicking the can down the road? Obama gave $500 million of our money (which he had to borrow from the Chinese) to Solyndra. Billions and billions of stimulus $$ went to green energy.

Rockhound, whoever invents the first electric car that actually works for American families, will instantly become the richest person who has ever lived. That's all the incentive that the private sector needs. They're working on it. It's just a hard problem to solve.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #192
zimmy

Quote:
Remember where prices were about August 2008? Probably best if we ignore them...

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #193
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Remember where gas prices were 6 yrs ago? 99 cents gal.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #194
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Remember where gas prices were 6 yrs ago? 99 cents gal.
I don't remember paying $0.99 since I had my first car (during the Clinton years).... certainly don't remember that price in 2006...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #195
zimmy

Quote:
That's true, we are decades away from realistically-priced green energy.
Mostly because of a very strong fossil fuel lobby. You are a math guy right? Try adding in all of the costs associated w/ oil, coal, natural gas into the mix and see where it comes out. You might be suprised. It would have to be an honest assessment that includes the cost of military involvement in the middle east, taxes and special tax breaks, etc. It is pretty complicated, but the numbers are interesting.

Also, the Volt a crappy car? I don't know where you get your info on that, but it has been almost unanimously received as a well made, incredible piece of engineering and gets excellent reviews for performance. Was that just "hyperbole", too?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #196
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Mostly because of a very strong fossil fuel lobby. You are a math guy right? Try adding in all of the costs associated w/ oil, coal, natural gas into the mix and see where it comes out. You might be suprised. It would have to be an honest assessment that includes the cost of military involvement in the middle east, taxes and special tax breaks, etc. It is pretty complicated, but the numbers are interesting.

Also, the Volt a crappy car? I don't know where you get your info on that, but it has been almost unanimously received as a well made, incredible piece of engineering and gets excellent reviews for performance. Was that just "hyperbole", too?
"the Volt a crappy car? I don't know where you get your info on that"

From consumer demand. Even with a $7500 tax credit thanks to Komrade Obama, nobody wants them. (allow the hyperbole, as the truth is, almost nobody wants them).

Hard Times For the Chevy Volt - HUMAN EVENTS

Zimmy, you corrcetly stated that when you talk about the cost of oil, lots of thing sneed to be factored in. Try reading the link I posted, which talks about what the Volt ultimately costs, when you factor in the government subsidies.

And who ends up paying $40,000 for Chevy Volts? Not poor folks, but wealthy folks. So despite liberal claims that conservatives are the ones who want to make the rich richer, here is a case where Obama is giving everyone who buys a Volt (wealthy people), a $7500 thank-you from the feds.

How many janitors and men's room attendants are plunking down$40,000 for a car? Zero. I'd think bleeding heart liberals would be opposed to giving handouts to people who have $40,000 to purchase a car?

Almost nobody wants these cars. They're insanely expensive, and they're not practical.

No hyperbole. Just fact. Not facts that you will like, or even admit given your rabid fanaticism, but facts nonetheless.

Hard Times For the Chevy Volt - HUMAN EVENTS

"it has been almost unanimously received as a well made, incredible piece of engineering"

Despite some as-yet unexplained fires after crash-tests?

http://www.slashgear.com/volt-misses...oals-05206315/

The Volt was a sales flop, despite the fact that the feds were offering a $7500 rebate.

What do you say, Zimmy?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #197
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I don't remember paying $0.99 since I had my first car (during the Clinton years).... certainly don't remember that price in 2006...
My bad RRH, lowest was $1.39 in 2006, had to be earlier than that
but it was while I was on this site which was since 2003. Gas war for about
a month went below $1.00.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #198
spence

Quote:
It's funny, when gas went up under Bush he said he can't do anything about it. Yet now people want to blame Obama...even though he can't do much about it either.

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #199
spence

Quote:
Spence, I admit I cannot find a quote attributing that to Obama. Now, will you show us the same courtesy? On the Romney dog thing, yuo said putting the dog on the roof says something about Romney's character. But when asked about Obama's character in terms of Rev Wright, you said that you need to consider the good that Wright did, before yuo make any judgments about Obama's character for associating with him. And for the record, you supplied zero evidence of any good done by Wright (who is a snake that got fabulously wealthy by peddling in hate), you just said you "bet" he's done some good things, too.
Big difference between strapping a dog to a roof and making a provocative remark to get your parish to think. I've listened to a number of his sermons, he's pretty interesting.

Quote:
Spence, when you said something about Romney's character, why were you willing to makwe judgments based on one bad decision in isolation? In Obama's case, you said we need to consider all the good in connection with the bad. Why don't yuo offer Romney the same courtesy?
He strapped a dog to his car.

Quote:
Lastly, Spence...If Mr Chu said he wants our gas prices to be as high as Europe's, and Obama picks this guy as ENERGY SECRETARY of all things, it stands to reason that Obama is on board.
No it doesn't. Obama has been consistent in his statements that higher gas prices hurt Americans and in his entire first term hasn't raised the Federal Gas Tax a single penny.

The proof is in the pudding.

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #200
spence

Quote:
Wait, wait!!!!!

Spence, here's what you said...

OK, Spence. When I made a claim about somehting Obama said, yuo demanded that I prove it.

OK, buddy, what's good for the goose! Spence, please show us a video or post a link of a prominent Republican saying that.

I'm waiting Spence, and I'm all ears.

You just can't help shooting yourself in the foot, can you?
My remark wasn't in quotes, I was making the point that the Republican position on energy at times sure isn't very pragmatic.

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #201
Jim in CT

Quote:
My remark wasn't in quotes, I was making the point that the Republican position on energy at times sure isn't very pragmatic.

-spence
So can you explain from where you get the notion that "THE" republican position on oil is that it's infinite, because it came from God?

Who told you that's the official Republican position?

JUST ONE TIME, can you dircetly answer a question?

Also, according to you, when Wright tells folks that the deds invented AIDS to kill blacks, you're saying he's "trying to get people to think"?? Think about what?

Spence, every rational person (and you are NOT in that group) knows that Wright is a smutty hate-peddler. Who doesn't even believe his own BS, because he bought a mansion in a neighborhood that's 99.9% white.

But all you can do is COMPLIMENT him by calling him "thought-provoking". I guess you think that peaceful white-supremacist grouos are merely thought-provoking too?

You are really, really pathetic.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #202
spence

Quote:
I guess you know more than me, I'm just a Eucharistic minister who hands out communion every week at Catholic mass. I don't believe I'm actually cannibalizing the body of a person who lived 2000 years ago. Nor do I believe I'm simply eating a meaninglesss wafer. It's a symbolic gesture of my willingness, and desire, to receive Christ into my life.
My understanding is that RIJIMMY is correct. It's beyond a simple symbolic gesture, you're supposed to believe you're taking in Christ.

It's also why I'm (as a baptized Episcopalian) not invited to take communion at a Catholic service. The do offer hot cider in the basement though.

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #203
zimmy

Quote:
I say that your silly, biased article has sales #'s that are less than half of what actual sales were at the end of the calendar year, never mind what they will be for the model year. So you get "crappy" from some moron who says "crummy," but does not speak at all about the technology, reliability, or performance of the car? As far as the rest of the "crap", new technology always costs much more to produce initially. Over time, the actual cost associated with it drop as well as the total cost of the investments. I see the Hannity type simpletons use the same stupid math game to say each volt costs $250,000. Yeah, if they only sold them for one year and never again.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #204
zimmy

Quote:
Spence, every rational person (and you are NOT in that group) .
Why do you feel the need to make those judgements or spew them in public?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #205
JohnnyD

Quote:
I am in no means advocating that super high gas prices are GOOD. I'm not even Chu said it would be goo, and he didn't reference any impact other than on transitioning to other energy sources. The context that without a rise in gas prices, we will not move away from fossil fuels. This is probably a true statement.
I've had a few clients that host conferences about clean energy. I leave on Sunday to go to Atlantic City for yet another one. One thing that is always referenced when considering new technologies is the price of oil. Things like "This technology is projected to be of comparable costs when oil is at $120/barrel" is a frequent mantra.

I've read that if Iran were to close off the Strait of Hormuz, oil is projected to spike to around $145-160/barrel and then settle $130-150/barrel. If that happens, mark my words, bills about clean energy will be back in Congress and a major call for more clean energy will happen.

I'm not much of a conspiracy person, but Iran "initiating" war would be an ideal case for Obama. Just as was stated during Bush's run for a second term, no president has lost a reelection while the US is at war. Also, after being reelected, oil prices would be through the roof and Obama's clean energy initiatives would actually be more affordable than oil.

Granted, there's a lot of speculation and hearsay in the above, but crazier things have happened. Stay Tuned.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #206
spence

Quote:
So can you explain from where you get the notion that "THE" republican position on oil is that it's infinite, because it came from God?
That's the position I've inferred after listening to years of Republican pundits ridicule the Left for concern over sustainable energy.

Quote:
Also, according to you, when Wright tells folks that the deds invented AIDS to kill blacks, you're saying he's "trying to get people to think"?? Think about what?
There is a pretty big population, especially within the black community, that subscribes to the conspiracy making it almost somewhat mainstream in those circles.

Considering that the US Government has done some pretty wicked things, The Tuskegee Syphilis Study for instance, or more recently reported...

Vets feel abandoned after secret drug experiments - CNN.com

So even though I don't believe the US Government invented AIDS, I can have some appreciation for, from Wright's perspective, why he might subscribe to such a theory.

If anything it's slightly less kooky than Jerry Falwell's contention AIDS was Gods answer to homosexuality...and Falwell was perhaps one of the most influential ministers in modern times.

Quote:
Spence, every rational person (and you are NOT in that group) knows that Wright is a smutty hate-peddler. Who doesn't even believe his own BS, because he bought a mansion in a neighborhood that's 99.9% white.

But all you can do is COMPLIMENT him by calling him "thought-provoking". I guess you think that peaceful white-supremacist grouos are merely thought-provoking too?

You are really, really pathetic.
I read an interesting article about black churches, it went into the fact that they can sound really angry or even racist at times...but the message really is meant to be positive reinforcement for the black parishioners. From an outsiders perspective that might appear dated, but the race issue in this country really isn't that old when you think about it...

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #207
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I've had a few clients that host conferences about clean energy. I leave on Sunday to go to Atlantic City for yet another one.
JD, leave your wallet home.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #208
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
It's funny, when gas went up under Bush he said he can't do anything about it. Yet now people want to blame Obama...even though he can't do much about it either.

-spence
OK Spence, I did the math for you.
Obama's first 3+years in office gas has gone up 200%.

Gas was down-9% when Bush left the office.

When prices rose after Bush was elected he was blamed because it was said he
and Cheney were oilmen and profiting from it.
If so why would they want to bring down the price of oil 9% from the time
elected to the end of their terms?

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #209
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I say that your silly, biased article has sales #'s that are less than half of what actual sales were at the end of the calendar year, never mind what they will be for the model year. So you get "crappy" from some moron who says "crummy," but does not speak at all about the technology, reliability, or performance of the car? As far as the rest of the "crap", new technology always costs much more to produce initially. Over time, the actual cost associated with it drop as well as the total cost of the investments. I see the Hannity type simpletons use the same stupid math game to say each volt costs $250,000. Yeah, if they only sold them for one year and never again.
TODAY...

GM laying off 1300 due to low Volt sales

byJoel Gehrke

General Motors Co. announced the temporary suspension of Chevrolet Volt production and the layoffs of 1300 employees, as the company is cutting Volt manufacturing to meet lower-than-expected demand for the electric cars.

"Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand," GM spokesman Chris Lee said. The car company had hoped to sell 45,000 Chevy Volts in America this year, according to the Detrot News, but has only sold about 1,626 over the first two months of 2012.

"GM blamed the lack of sales in January on “exaggerated” media reports and the federal government's investigation into Volt batteries catching fire, which officially began in November and ended Jan. 21," the Ann Arbor (Mich.) News reported.

The laid-off employees will be rehired April 23rd, when GM resumes production of the Volt.

I think Solyndra did the same thing just before they went belly up
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #210
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
OK Spence, I did the math for you.
Obama's first 3+years in office gas has gone up 200%.

Gas was down-9% when Bush left the office.

When prices rose after Bush was elected he was blamed because it was said he
and Cheney were oilmen and profiting from it.
If so why would they want to bring down the price of oil 9% from the time
elected to the end of their terms?
The point Jeffy was making, was that, yes, Bush was blamed, but all his defenders were saying it was beyond his control. Now the same defenders (or at least their idealogs) are blaming Obama....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"