Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Bourne Bill

line on tuna rods

What is everybody using for line on their tuna rods, and what are the ro and cons about dacron with a topshot?
Bourne Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
buckmanjr

On our 130s we are fishing 200 pound dacron to a 250 pound momoi top shot. One of the 130s has 300 yards of 200 pound JB spliced into the dacron for kite fishing, but we still leave enough room for a mono top shot when we are not kite fishing. On my 50's I run 80 pound momoi mono, and on my 80s I think I have 130 Jerry brown to a 130 pound top shot.

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Similar to Buckmanjr, I run high vis momoi 80lb on the Penn 50's and 130lb on the Penn 80. If I ever get lucky to catch a fish which is able to strip significant mono off the reels, eventually on the 50's there is PowerPro 100lb on the 50's and 130lb on the 80. I set the 50's with about 25lb drag and the 80 with 40lb drag, full strike position.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

We run 100 pound test on the 80's momoi hi catch all the way thru with no dacron backing. Momoi seems like a good line,not the best but we change it every time we catch a fish. The 5 pound spool is reasonable in price. Heard rumors a local was able to land a tree on his 80's trailering on the way home from the Sandwich Ramp last yr. The line did not break as there was none left when he go to his driveway. If you want I will ask what type of line he was using if your interested in landing trees
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
niko

did MJ go tree fishing?

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Nothing wrong with Dacron backing
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Dont want to say who it is but funny stuff,most likley be me next Once went with my buddy out of Westport he gave a new 113 penn spool of wire to the tree gods as well,that was a short trip.
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Bill View Post
What is everybody using for line on their tuna rods, and what are the ro and cons about dacron with a topshot?
You fishing small or big gear ?
Also.
Trolling or bait, up or down ?

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Bourne Bill

big gear, live bait, chunking, and kite.
Bourne Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Nothing wrong with Dacron backing
x2
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
buckmanjr

If you do not want to put 1000 yards of JB on your 130s, put 400 or 500 yards of 200 pound dacron spliced into 300 yards of 200 pound JB, and that allows plenty of room for a mono top shot, while still adding a few hundred extra yards of line.

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
As others said Dacron spliced to 200 lb mono is good.
For 130s braid works much better for kite as 200 lb mono is heavy.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
MakoMike

I'm using 200 lb dacron with a 200 pound mono top shot on my 130s. dacron is a lot cheaper than braid and the braid is a lot more dangerous. Braid under load can cut someone in a heart beat, and if you fight the fish out of a rod holder you can't use your spare hand to help with recovering line.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Mr. Sandman

Nothing like reeling in a 50# fish on a 130 in the holder...

I don't fish 130's but I use PP hollow core 130# with a 100 yard mono top shot (also 130# give or take). I don't fish out of rod holders often, I prefer actually fighting the fish. That said I am getting a couple short bent butts for the option of holder fighting but they will be attached to 80w's. If you fish dacron you will need 130's just to hold the line you need because you will not have enough on smaller reels. I like smaller lighter tackle. That is what makes this technology so great. These new rods and reels make it possible to stand up and fight these things when before it was a fighting chair ordeal.

I have tried all combinations of line offshore. From all braid, to all mono and everything inbetween. Lost fish on all braid, great fight but you will pull hooks clean out. All mono way too spongy, the fight is dull. Dacron is OK but you need oversize gear to hold enough. For me I like troll off the mono the have a half mile of braid on the spool, You get enough give on the mono without pulling hooks and you have enough capacity to fight anything with standup gear. (30w's, 50w's, 80w,s). Last year I replaced all my offshore gear with this combo and I love it. Great for canyon trips, great for off the island for mid size and great for trips east for larger bluefins. I suppose if you are a true commercial fisherman day in and day out, you fish Dacron on hydraulic reels in the holder. That is just not fun, for me anyway.

My rec is to do what works for the type of fishing you enjoy most often. There is no "ideal" way to do this for every style of fishing.

Oh...most of my offshore reels are 2 speeds. I would not even think of getting a single speed reel unless you are talking inshore activities.
You can do a lot in low gear..., and switching is not all that hard, it requires pushing a button, it's not like you have to double pump a clutch.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote