Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #31
jasonsnova

Thats alot of boats that far out... i was surprised to see that they only anchor and chum. You wound think that would also attrack alot of sharks that far off shore. When im cod fishing in GOM i usually see guys trolling live macks either down or on kite rigs on top.
also there was a clip where they were very close to shore , maybe 1-3 miles out but it looked like a floating yaht club with all the boats! lol
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
buckmanjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
Thats alot of boats that far out... i was surprised to see that they only anchor and chum. You wound think that would also attrack alot of sharks that far off shore. When im cod fishing in GOM i usually see guys trolling live macks either down or on kite rigs on top.
also there was a clip where they were very close to shore , maybe 1-3 miles out but it looked like a floating yaht club with all the boats! lol
Like a floating city out there. Everyone is drifting out there on georges though, not sure why they said it was georges when it wasn't. I am sure they have plenty of film from georges though.

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

You run 80 miles and nothing then all of a sudden a flotilla shows up. Mostly drifting out there. Liked when they panned out on "georges" and land was in the background. Last time I was out there you couldn't see land.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Georges was recently relocated
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Georges was recently relocated
Probably on the west side of Jeffreys Ledge .... Keep the cameramen and producers comfortable. Every shot was FAC conditions....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #36
jasonsnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Probably on the west side of Jeffreys Ledge .... Keep the cameramen and producers comfortable. Every shot was FAC conditions....
hell i've never been able to see land on jefferies..... did seem like "Georges bank" had land in the background to me. If they were out of glouster Id put $$ on south west stellwagon or maybe even the halfway hump before jefferies... but what do i know.....lol
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #37
Typhoon

You can anchor on George's It is a terrible idea. We learned a $3k lesson about doing it. Was not my idea. "we do this all the time"

One of the scariest feelings in the world, getting waken up from sleeping thinking you're going to the bottom of the ocean

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
You can anchor on George's It is a terrible idea. We learned a $3k lesson about doing it. Was not my idea. "we do this all the time"

One of the scariest feelings in the world, getting waken up from sleeping thinking you're going to the bottom of the ocean

No lookout ?
That's the 1st thing they teach you in any boating or captains lic course and continue to drill into your head.
When is a lookout necessary ?
ALL THE TIME !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #39
taJon

Quote:

I would image that to be a very bad feeling.

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #40
jasonsnova

just saw 2 of the captains on the fox am news this am talking about the show....
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #41
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
No lookout ?
That's the 1st thing they teach you in any boating or captains lic course and continue to drill into your head.
When is a lookout necessary ?
ALL THE TIME !
Warning systems on $10k radars don't do #^&#^&#^&#^&.

We weren't the only idiots that night. Heard of 2 other boats getting drilled.

-Andrew
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #42
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Warning systems on $10k radars don't do #^&#^&#^&#^&.

We weren't the only idiots that night. Heard of 2 other boats getting drilled.
Are you saying yes you were drifting at night and everyone was sleeping ?

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #43
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Are you saying yes you were drifting at night and everyone was sleeping ?
Idiots all around.

Idiots sleeping drifting.

Idiots sleeping anchored.

Idiots.

-Andrew
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

We sleep anchored on the bank. Never near the shipping lanes. The boats lit up like an oil rig with the radar and gps alarms on. I'll admit it's sketchy but with only two guys to fish for 3 days strait it's very hard to keep awake that midnight to 0400 shift. One of us is usually awake in the darkness but there are times when we're both asleep.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #45
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
We sleep anchored on the bank. Never near the shipping lanes. The boats lit up like an oil rig with the radar and gps alarms on. I'll admit it's sketchy but with only two guys to fish for 3 days strait it's very hard to keep awake that midnight to 0400 shift. One of us is usually awake in the darkness but there are times when we're both asleep.
Remembering that the guy in the wheelhouse of the dragger is also asleep with the autopilot on will keep you up fine.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #46
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Yes I know, hopefully the radar picks him up entering the alarm zone
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #47
Typhoon

Quote:
Yes I know, hopefully the radar picks him up entering the alarm zone

that's what I thought too... especially with $75k in newly purchased electronics.

Reality, not so much.

-Andrew
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #48
Mr. Sandman

It worked for us one night...we were hanging off a sea anchor in 6000+ and were all asleep, when the alarm went off ( I think it was set at a mile or 1/2 mile) and it got us up to greet a US Navy support ship of some kind came within 1/4 mile and put a spot light on us for a few seconds then turned and went away. It turns out that a submarine was doing some kind of exercise and they were checking the area. It was a little nerve wracking initially to see a boat in the middle of nowhere approaching on radar...We had turned on a load of lights after the alarm went off. We spoke to him on the radio for a minute afterward...then went back to sleep.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I watched this show last night on demand and of course I don't know anything about comm fishing (or any tuna fishing for that matter) but it just seemed VERY odd to me that everyone knows this Dave guy leads people astray, yet everyone still asks him for info. I mean, what the hell to do they expect him to say?

I was also shocked to see that dragger come that close to one of the Tuna boats and snag his anchor, it seems like it's obvious bullying going on there, which is pretty horrible IMO.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #50
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
I watched this show last night on demand and of course I don't know anything about comm fishing (or any tuna fishing for that matter) but it just seemed VERY odd to me that everyone knows this Dave guy leads people astray, yet everyone still asks him for info. I mean, what the hell to do they expect him to say?

I was also shocked to see that dragger come that close to one of the Tuna boats and snag his anchor, it seems like it's obvious bullying going on there, which is pretty horrible IMO.
Ask Mike (Fishingfreak) about it.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #51
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Vejo você no tribunal idiota!

"I'll see you in court ahole" in portuguese

Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #52
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Another tuna show: SUPERFISH BLUEFIN TUNA will broadcast on the National Geographic Channel on April 12th, 2012 at 9 pm.

SUPERFISH BLUEFIN TUNA - YouTube

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

After more research... seems this was more about making a TV show than getting it all correct. Besides the lights from shore, I was told to pay attention to when they are fighting a fish. Seems that there may have been a cinder block on the other end in at least one "scene".

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #54
Raven

lol Ross.....okay get the microphone next to the drag
let loose the block guys
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #55
Raider Ronnie

This show goes against everything that's been drilled into my head about commercial fishing !
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
buckman

The American Bluefin Tuna Association

National Geographic's "Wicked Tuna": Focuses intently on an issue that is new and important for Americans

Salem NH, April 2, 2012 - National Geographic's new 10-part series, "Wicked Tuna" premiered last night. It follows the format of the successful Discovery series,

"Deadliest Catch" with one big difference. "Wicked Tuna" brings to light a fishery that few Americans are aware of.

Most Americans have heard of the so-called "plight" of the bluefin tuna. The producers of "Wicked Tuna" suggest instead that the health of bluefin populations are a complex issue. For example, few Americans are aware that in certain parts of the world, in the Mediterranean Sea in particular, bluefin have been overfished by large, factory-style industrial vessels of 200-300 ft in length, but not here in the U.S. As early as the 1970's Congress created the 200-mile limit law (now called Magnuson-Stevens Act) and negotiated international treaties for highly migratory fish such as giant bluefin. Consequently, large industrial fishing of bluefin was eventually phased out in the U.S. What was left were the small, independently-owned boats seen in "Wicked Tuna".

"One critically important piece of news that comes out of "Wicked Tuna" that will come as a big surprise for most Americans is the fact that our commercial bluefin fishery here in the U.S., referred to locally as the General and Harpoon Fisheries, is an Artisanal fishery. This fleet of small boats are only allowed to use handgear methods for fishing: rod and reel or harpoon. They can only catch one fish at a time and are limited to catching a maximum of 3 fish per day," says Rich Ruais, Executive Director of the American Bluefin Tuna Association, an organization that exclusively represents U.S. tuna fishermen in the Atlantic.

Beginning in the 1970's, U.S. fishermen and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) wanted strong, self-imposed conservation methods to ensure that U.S. bluefin fishing led the world in sustainable fishing practices. NOAA long ago issued regulations, permanently making this commercial fishery an Artisanal fishery. U.S. tuna fishermen want their fishery to remain an Artisanal fishery in perpetuity. The fishermen wish to maintain this fishery as a small fleet of family-owned and operated vessels of approximately 30-42 ft in length. Artisanal fisheries are virtually incapable of causing the damage to a fishery that can easily be done by industrial fishing methods like those used in the Mediterranean Sea.

Ruais comments further, "Americans should be proud that they have an Artisanal fishery for bluefin because it sets an example for other industrialized countries who do not fish sustainably. If those countries want to protect their bluefin populations, they need to radically scale back those large, corporate-owned industrial fishing vessels from their fishery that are capable of catching 500 or more bluefin at a time. These big vessels are the ones that create all the problems for bluefin."

"Our small boats, under longstanding conservation regulations, cannot possibly do any damage to the Atlantic bluefin. As one of the captains in "Wicked Tuna" accurately stated, our bluefin fishery in the U.S. is the most highly regulated bluefin fishery in the world. Our fishermen are required to adhere to the lowest maximum number of fish that can be retained daily and the highest minimum retainable size of 73 inches. This is unprecedented and unmatched worldwide."

Last May, after spending a year, countless tax dollars and involving a great many marine scientists and fishery management experts, NOAA concluded a huge study proving that bluefin were not endangered or threatened. Earlier this year, Canadian scientists, based on their own separate comprehensive study, also agreed with the U.S. and went further to note that quotas in the west Atlantic could be safely raised. Nonetheless, quotas have been maintained at extra-precautionary lower levels.

A few environmental organizations would like Americans to think that US bluefin are "imperiled", but, given NOAA's and Canada's latest scientific studies, all those Americans who in the past were given false and incomplete information to sign petitions saying that they won't eat Atlantic bluefin can now go back to eating Atlantic bluefin tuna sustainably caught by U.S. fishermen.

Although "Wicked Tuna" tends to dramatize the interactions between the fishermen, the dialog is colorful, the fierce competition is typical of Gloucestermen, and the action footage is real. The act of catching bluefin tuna by handgear requires great fishing skill, a high level of seamanship ability and human strength.

The airing of "Wicked Tuna" is the first time ever that the American public will have a glimpse into the little-known world of these hardworking New England fishermen and it explains very well how they do what they do. Ruais concludes, "In 'Wicked Tuna', much is made of how much the fish is worth but, in reality, fishermen receive, on average, about $9.00 per lb. for their bluefin catch, which is less than what sea scallop or Alaskan king crab fishermen are often paid for their catch."

For further information, please contact:

Rich Ruais

Tel: (603) 898-8862

Email: rruais@aol.com
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #57
tysdad115

I only caught part of it, haven't watched it complete on dvr yet. I was surprised the one guy that asked tuna.com TWICE where he was fishing, where the fish were was actually offended he was lied to. I assume some guys work together , but when the bite is tough does he really expect accurate information? "Sure,come take money out of my pocket bud !"
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
Capt Charlie

Did anyone else notice the thresher shark tied to the stern of one of the boats? Why didn't they mention that?

Just curious.
Capt Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #59
jasonsnova

i didnt notice the thesher.... but did notice the shore on georges bank...lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #60
buckman

Tune in tonight 10 pm only on the Nat Geo channel. See episode 1 again with live commentary and questions during broadcast.

You are allowed to keep the thresher.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote