Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Last Night's Debate

Did anyone hear a word about the National Debt?

Quick Sarcnotes: Some bizzaroness, they frequently kept left flanking each other, if you don't speak Spanish you are an unworthy immigrant.

Klobachar - she's the one that floggs her staffers?

GAWD this is going to be a long election cycle.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I will say that Tulsi Gabbard is pretty damn good looking.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Did anyone hear a word about the National Debt?

Quick Sarcnotes: Some bizzaroness, they frequently kept left flanking each other, if you don't speak Spanish you are an unworthy immigrant.

Klobachar - she's the one that floggs her staffers?

GAWD this is going to be a long election cycle.
yes klobuchar is known for flogging her staffers.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

it is indeed going to be long, with them constantly trying to
out-left each other, like a game of
progressive poker.

“I see your partial birth abortion, and I raise you reparations...”

“I see your reparations, and i raise you student loan forgiveness...”
Old 06-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I will say that Tulsi Gabbard is pretty damn good looking.
she also intellectually brave, a rare one who isnt afraid to disagree with her side when she thinks they’re wrong. and she’s a veteran. i like her a lot. you don’t see many on either side, willing to disagree with the party platform. she has no chance,?’aybe she’s angling for the vp slot.

Obviously NBC wants Warren, which is fine by me.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
she also intellectually brave, a rare one who isnt afraid to disagree with her side when she thinks they’re wrong. and she’s a veteran. i like her a lot. you don’t see many on either side, willing to disagree with the party platform. she has no chance,?’aybe she’s angling for the vp slot.

Obviously NBC wants Warren, which is fine by me.

She was very intriguing, but still too young.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
She was very intriguing, but still too young.
she comes across to
me as serious and decent, worthy of being taken seriously, but i agree now is not her time.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Problem with Gabbard is the subtle X-Files backtrack they run under her when she speaks.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Problem with Gabbard is the subtle X-Files backtrack they run under her when she speaks.
explain? is she considered a kook? by who?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
explain? is she considered a kook? by who?
She can be pretty kooky.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Jim in CT

this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	debate.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	66307  
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
wdmso

Like American idol I might watch the finals.. its embarrassing to watch the people who cant sing who have been lied to by friends and family .. that's it's a great idea for them to try on national TV
Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Someone needs to explain to me why any candidate (d or r) would fight for abortion rights for transgenders 🤯
Old 06-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Someone needs to explain to me why any candidate (d or r) would fight for abortion rights for transgenders 🤯
Votes

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
JohnR

Biden and Bernie are toast.

I wish Mayor Pete and Kamala were moderate.

Swalwell is an as shole. Come and Take it

MarrianeWilliams is the lady from Hotel California; a Puma (SuperCougar) with mirrors on the ceiling, pink CBD edibles on ice, that you can never leave.

The Scientist (forget his name) said some interesting stuff.

Yang will add 2 Trillion to the debt every year.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Biden and Bernie are toast.

I wish Mayor Pete and Kamala were moderate.
A bit early to be upsetting the odds, though I never thought Sanders had a chance anyway. Biden didn't have a good night but unless something big changes he's going to be the front runner for a while.

Harris definitely stood out. Worth remembering this is a primary and not the actual race.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #16
Raider Ronnie

Not 1 of them have a snow balls chance in hell of beating Trump.
Every last one of them showed their true hate for the American way and endorse free health care for Illegals.
They are toast 👍

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 06-28-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Old 06-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Raider Ronnie

Also.
Any one of the current democratic members of th senate or house coming up for the-election in 2020 and endorse any of them are toast also.
Trump is going to win in a landslide and they republicans will regain control of Congress.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #18
Jim in CT

i can’t believe what Kamala Harris is doing to Biden. He opposed school busing, but not out of racism, he clearly did what he thought was best for southern blacks. Harris will say, do, insert, or suck
anything to
move up the political ladder, and if Biden isn’t the nominee I think it’s her, god I hope so.

all
biden has to do, is ask her if she thinks they should
close
Moorehouse college? Biden thinks there's advantages to blacks going to predominantly black schools, that’s why he opposed busing. if he asks her that question, she could not answer.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Some say you shouldn't let the fringe candidates into the debate, but once a fringe candidate became President.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Some say you shouldn't let the fringe candidates into the debate, but once a fringe candidate became President.
the fringe candidate this time is Biden, he’s the only non-maniac in the field, the only one who would
have any appeal to moderate democrats in FL, NC, OH, PA...
Old 06-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #21
JohnR

Quote:

So on Bingo Nite #2, EACH candidate - fringe and otherwise - raised their hand to support open borders and healthcare for all, including anyone regardless of their citizenship status, 'cept a reluctant Slow Uncle Joe that either had tennis Elbow which limited the speed and accuracy of his hand travel or was on the fence on how to answer (suspect the last).

So let's break this down:

All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA.
They will receive full healthcare
They can stay

We can't afford this. This is fracking stupid.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
So on Bingo Nite #2, EACH candidate - fringe and otherwise - raised their hand to support open borders and healthcare for all, including anyone regardless of their citizenship status, 'cept a reluctant Slow Uncle Joe that either had tennis Elbow which limited the speed and accuracy of his hand travel or was on the fence on how to answer (suspect the last).

All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA.
They can stay

You've stated it simply, succinctly, clearly. Must be something wrong with what you say. It just doesn't stand up to normal circuitous, misleading, contradictory, obfuscatory, bald faced lying political speak.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #23
spence

Quote:

They can stay

I'm not sure what debate you were watching but open borders wasn't brought up as a question, nor was allowing everyone to stay.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #24
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm not sure what debate you were watching but open borders wasn't brought up as a question, nor was allowing everyone to stay.

This is partially true. They did not use the words "Open Borders", they tip-toed around that, so we'll break it down

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcript-...cratic-debates

From the 28:59 mark to
Provide healthcare of Undocumented Workers: Savanah Guthrie:
" Okay. A lot of you have been [crosstalk 00:29:02] talking tonight about these government healthcare plans that you’ve proposed in one form or another. This is a show of hands question- and hold them up for a moment so people can see- raise your hand if your government plan would provide coverage for undocumented immigrants."

They all raised their hands with Uncle Joe being the least committed. Follow the link for the individual comments but they all supported it fully, or significantly with few caveats

40:44 mark: Jose (with a reiteration at 44:11)
"We had a very spirited debate on this stage last night on the topic of decriminalization of the border. If you’d be so kind, raise your hand if you think it should be a civil offense, rather than a crime to cross the border without documentation. Can we keep the hands up so we can see them."

For the next 7 minutes the candidates, in their own words, stated that people that crossed the border illegally would not be deported. Some indicated if there was a criminal record they might be but mostly it was answers to allow anyone in.

So, anyone that comes here will be provided Free Healthcare, and anyone that comes here illegally (with few exceptions) can come in. Ergo: All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA.
They can stay

BTW - I am OK with some DACA and I am OK with healthcare for all provided it can de done AFTER a balanced budget that does not cripple the economy, defense, or existing incomes.

But there is no way that our economy can can balance a budget, give free healthcare to our own citizens, pay off student debt, fix Medicare and SS, and do a Green New Deal.

Those things would be 6 trillion a year before taking care of anyone new coming across the border.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
This is partially true. They did not use the words "Open Borders", they tip-toed around that, so we'll break it down
It's an important consideration as the words "Open Borders" do not have a specific meaning which could lead a radical to twist the issue into a pretzel and proclaim something really silly like "All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA"

Quote:
They all raised their hands with Uncle Joe being the least committed. Follow the link for the individual comments but they all supported it fully, or significantly with few caveats
I think it's the morally right thing to do to make sure a pregnant woman or child has access to healthcare regardless of their status. Most developed nations with government run healthcare have provisions for eligibility which I'd assume we would as well but it would likely require more comprehensive immigration reform.

Quote:
For the next 7 minutes the candidates, in their own words, stated that people that crossed the border illegally would not be deported. Some indicated if there was a criminal record they might be but mostly it was answers to allow anyone in.
There's a big difference between allowing "anyone in" versus being selective on who you deport. Obama had this dialed in pretty well before Trump came in and created chaos.

Quote:
So, anyone that comes here will be provided Free Healthcare, and anyone that comes here illegally (with few exceptions) can come in. Ergo: All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA.
They can stay
I think it would be more appropriate to call it "Funded Healthcare" than free as undocumented immigrants would still be contributing through the billions of taxes they pay today.

Quote:
BTW - I am OK with some DACA and I am OK with healthcare for all provided it can de done AFTER a balanced budget that does not cripple the economy, defense, or existing incomes.
DACA is a no brainer. The healthcare and defense industries are bloated with profit centers, we can drive the economy with development and environmental innovation...it's not impossible to fix this.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Did anyone see an American flagon stage ????????
Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
Did anyone see an American flagon stage ????????
I think they had water bottles, couldn't resist

If they had an actual flag instead of it showing from time to time in the background graphics, would a group flag hump rather than solo like Trump did be acceptable?

Or are you thinking they would have said "She's not my type" about Old Glory?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
I think they had water bottles, couldn't resist

If they had an actual flag instead of it showing from time to time in the background graphics, would a group flag hump rather than solo like Trump did be acceptable?

Or are you thinking they would have said "She's not my type" about Old Glory?
If Trump joked about the flag that way . . .
Old 07-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
If Trump joked about the flag that way . . .
Are you really that simple, he hugged the flag as part of his Reality President show.
The same amount of derision would be exhibited by the Trumplicans as is about his draft dodging and denigration of American heroes.

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism”
George Washington

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
Are you really that simple, he hugged the flag as part of his Reality President show.
Your words "would a group flag hump rather than solo like Trump did be acceptable?"

So that wasn't just nasty sarcasm? You're saying that Trump actually "humped" the flag?