Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Joe

Watch O Politicize Earthquake For Gain

O's going to use the US rapid response to the Haitian earthquake as a political tool in contrast to New Orleans - watch....

Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
JohnnyD

I could maybe see that. I think we'll see more of it from liberals on CNN.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
stcroixman

If he does then shame on him. He still hasn't restored New Orleans and people are still in trailers. I am not saying we shouldn't offer aid to Haiti, but why can't we ever take care of our own?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Joe

There are about 50,000 Americans in Haiti - I'm not sure if they are Real Americans.
O's not going to blow his own horn - that would be in bad taste. He'll have his puppets in the lib media do it for him. O's speechwriters compose the teleprompter text for 60 Minutes and CNN.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
There are about 50,000 Americans in Haiti - I'm not sure if they are Real Americans.
O's not going to blow his own horn - that would be in bad taste. He'll have his puppets in the lib media do it for him. O's speechwriters compose the teleprompter text for 60 Minutes and CNN.
Obama no more controls the liberal media than Bush controlled conservative media. We'll know that Obama is politicizing and comparing it to NO if someone from the White House starts making the comparisons.

The teleprompter talk is still amusing to me, and sad.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Joe

The media is where the real power is.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
buckman

President Clinton's the UN Special Envoy for Haiti. From what I hear he's coming to Ma. to stump for Coakly. Lets' see..........
Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Joe

It's not like he can report to UN Headquarters in Haiti - it collapsed.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
buckman

Right Joe, he should be here instead.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I think Joe is being a bit tongue in cheek...
This is a tragedy, in every sense of the world. What a poor, misrun country. On the same island as the DR... take a look at Google earth and compare the forest cover between the countries. Haiti has been raped in an attempt to sell lumber trees.

And the fact that "He" hasn't rebuilt New Orleans is pretty stupid. What year did that happen, and how many years did the previous administration have to work to rebuild? "He" should hopefully be working to better prepare NO and other coastal cities for future events.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Fishpart
Keep The Change

We should send Military Engineers, they can help dig out, provide fresh water, begin the rebuilding process including training locals and the beauty is they can deploy and sustain themselves without placing a burden on infastructure that is already stretched....

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
We should send Military Engineers, they can help dig out, provide fresh water, begin the rebuilding process including training locals and the beauty is they can deploy and sustain themselves without placing a burden on infastructure that is already stretched....
Obama has already started this process
Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
mekcotuit

Quote:
I am curious as to what makes someone a Real American?

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I think Joe is being a bit tongue in cheek...
This is a tragedy, in every sense of the world. What a poor, misrun country. On the same island as the DR... take a look at Google earth and compare the forest cover between the countries. Haiti has been raped in an attempt to sell lumber trees.

And the fact that "He" hasn't rebuilt New Orleans is pretty stupid. What year did that happen, and how many years did the previous administration have to work to rebuild? "He" should hopefully be working to better prepare NO and other coastal cities for future events.
The chief building inspector for Haiti said ove a year ago that at least 60% of the structures in the capital city were not up to basic building standards. It's even worse outside of the city. There's no money to build anything there. Hopefully they can get the hospitals set up fast and get supplies and medicine there asap. I don't care if Obama claims it as an accomplishment, I'd just like to see lives saved. It's an awful situation there.

And New Orleans is rebuilt for the most part. I was there 2 months ago and the city is thriving as much as can be expected in an economic period such as we're in. The areas that are in rough shape now were in rough shape before Katrina. You can't pin NOLA entirely on Bush, either. The mayor down there at first tried to refuse aid and it was sent immediately anyways. They also totally screwed up the evacuations there, not Bush.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekcotuit View Post
I am curious as to what makes someone a Real American?
Someone who works hard and pays taxes and is a republican.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You can't pin NOLA entirely on Bush, either. The mayor down there at first tried to refuse aid and it was sent immediately anyways. They also totally screwed up the evacuations there, not Bush.
Ah, but the people Bush appointed screwed the ensuing aid and care of the displaced residents. As is stated by many on here about our current economic state, the buck stops with the President.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Ah, but the people Bush appointed screwed the ensuing aid and care of the displaced residents. As is stated by many on here about our current economic state, the buck stops with the President.

Sounds like you're trying to put words in my mouth. I said he wasn't "entirely" to blame. There was a big piece of blame for the way the administration handled it, but not as much as a lot of you Bush haters would like to think. I'd be willing to bet that you weren't there during the aftermath, huh?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I hope to see the US aid effort focused on the infrastructure, as soon as the 48-72 hour rescue period has passed. Water, sewer, and electrical will be the largest needs to help stave off typhoid, cholera, malaria, etc. Building codes would be nice...

And to pay for our part of this, let's pull the money from the millions we currently send to Pakistan every month.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Someone who works hard and pays taxes and is a republican.
Well nuts, I got two out of three. I suppose I should go back to my great-grandfathers home. And have health care.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Sounds like you're trying to put words in my mouth. I said he wasn't "entirely" to blame. There was a big piece of blame for the way the administration handled it, but not as much as a lot of you Bush haters would like to think. I'd be willing to bet that you weren't there during the aftermath, huh?
I tried to be, but they wouldn't allow my MA EMT credentials to carry over because I allowed my National Registry credentials to expire (Nat. Reg isn't recognized in MA) and the ambulance company I was working for wasn't taking part in sponsoring workers. I'd volunteer again in a second should something like that happen any time soon.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #21
EarnedStripes44

I thought the "Big Easy" was the fastest growing city in America now?

Somebody is building something.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Joe, I get what you're trying to do, but you know whats ironic? No one mentioned BUSHs support for the Tsunami victims! We had national guard on the ground in no time and dumped BILLIONS of dollars to support.........wait for it..............A MUSLIM COUNTRY!!!!!

Bush failed to politicize it, and of course the media never gave him credit for it. Obama will look like a saint for Haiti. Nah, no media bias Joe.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Joe, I get what you're trying to do, but you know whats ironic? No one mentioned BUSHs support for the Tsunami victims! We had national guard on the ground in no time and dumped BILLIONS of dollars to support.........wait for it..............A MUSLIM COUNTRY!!!!!

Bush failed to politicize it, and of course the media never gave him credit for it. Obama will look like a saint for Haiti. Nah, no media bias Joe.
Billions? Check your sources...

-spence
Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
Joe

I agree. Bush had a very good humanitarian record - his efforts in Africa will probably go down as a great achievement.
Of course the libs will chime in with something like, "Except for the people he bombed unnecessarily." But hey, there are naysayers and crybabies in every crowd.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Billions? Check your sources...

-spence
Great catch Spence

Presidential Action

President Bush on February 9, 2005, announced that he is seeking $950 million as part of the supplemental request to support the rehabilitation and reconstruction of areas devastated by the Indian Ocean Tsunami and to cover the costs of the U.S. government’s relief efforts to date. This amount, which is part of the supplemental appropriations request, is an expansion of his initial commitment of $350 million and is based on the information available and the assessments to date.
The President expressed the United States’ deep and ongoing commitment to the tsunami victims. The United States was working to help these nations before the tsunami struck, and we remain committed to helping those affected by this terrible disaster recover and rebuild.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
I agree. Bush had a very good humanitarian record - his efforts in Africa will probably go down as a great achievement.
Of course the libs will chime in with something like, "Except for the people he bombed unnecessarily." But hey, there are naysayers and crybabies in every crowd.
Amazing how those who complain about the U.S. acting like the world's policeman (with those collateral unnecessary bombings), insist that we be the world's doctor/patcher-upper/humanitarian.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

Obama is bombing those same people, lets see if the critics are so vocal. But hey, he closed a prison.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #28
buckman

[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;739060 But hey, he closed a prison.[/QUOTE]

He did???
Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
He did???
good point, even I'm buying into the bull

Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Did you guys noticed that their own people aren't helpng. People from unaffected areas of Haiti are not going to Port Au Prince to do anything. Whats up with that.

Next thing we'll see is Angie and Brad trdging through the mean streets of Port Au Prince handing out water and granola bars. Who was the actor that was filmed/photo'd walking hip deep in water after Katrina carrying a shotgun for protection checking things out for himself?

When you guys say O I thought you meant Oprah. She only pony'd up 250 large, hell she makes that in one day.

Last edited by Swimmer; 01-16-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman