Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Did you guys noticed that their own people aren't helpng. People from unaffected areas of Haiti are not going to Port Au Prince to do anything. Whats up with that.
You're not serious are you?

-spence
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #32
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You're not serious are you?

-spence

Yes. I see the residents of Port Au Prince dig out their friends and relatives. I don't see or has it been reported that residents of any other part of the country are helping in the affected areas. Christ even the cops took off.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Yes. I see the residents of Port Au Prince dig out their friends and relatives. I don't see or has it been reported that residents of any other part of the country are helping in the affected areas. Christ even the cops took off.
Yea, because they happen to be right there. It's such a poor country that people don't have the means to just up and volunteer, not to mention travel seems to be quite difficult.

I'm sure for most it's still pretty much every man for them self.

That being said, I had to go to Home Depot TWICE today, what a pain.

-spence
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #34
JohnnyD

Quote:
Did you guys noticed that their own people aren't helpng. People from unaffected areas of Haiti are not going to Port Au Prince to do anything. Whats up with that.

Next thing we'll see is Angie and Brad trdging through the mean streets of Port Au Prince handing out water and granola bars. Who was the actor that was filmed/photo'd walking hip deep in water after Katrina carrying a shotgun for protection checking things out for himself?

When you guys say O I thought you meant Oprah. She only pony'd up 250 large, hell she makes that in one day.
Call me a heartless bastard, but I'm willing to bet more people die in the US every week from preventable situations than in Haiti. Let's help our own people before sending resources overseas. There is nothing more disturbing to me than the vast numbers of homeless vets that sacrificed their lives for this country and are then forgotten about.

Pretty much the same resources as DR, yet completely polar economic situations. Why help those who choose not to help themselves?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #35
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Pretty much the same resources as DR, yet completely polar economic situations. Why help those who choose not to help themselves?
Are we still talking about an earthquake?

Because we do help those, who choose to help themselves to even more.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Call me a heartless bastard, but I'm willing to bet more people die in the US every week from preventable situations than in Haiti. Let's help our own people before sending resources overseas. There is nothing more disturbing to me than the vast numbers of homeless vets that sacrificed their lives for this country and are then forgotten about.

you are a heartless bastard and you obviously hate black people...a little Kanye West there...

Last edited by scottw; 01-17-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #37
buckman

Quote:

It's called human spirit JD. Your heart has to go out to them. Private charities are doing alot of the work and Obama can just print $$$.

100 million is a drop in the bucket. We piss 500 million away on interest now.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It's called human spirit JD. Your heart has to go out to them. Private charities are doing alot of the work and Obama can just print $$$.

100 million is a drop in the bucket. We piss 500 million away on interest now.
My heart certainly does go out to them, but my point is that billions are sent out to other countries while we have our own problems here. I sympathize for those in Haiti, Africa, and many other areas that require aid, but aid should be focused here until the people in our homeland are taken care of then we can help others. This isn't a private aid vs. government aid situation. This is the misguided view of people that are only motivated to contribute if some massive event gets news coverage.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #39
scottw

"This is the misguided view of people that are only motivated to contribute if some massive event gets news coverage."

that's a pretty broad generalization...misguided to help by contributing(which may be the only way to assist for many) when a massive human tragedy occurs?...they don't need your heart, they need your help(money)?

I'm pretty proud of the way this country directs aid to help when something like this occurs....particularly through private donations...

JD, you are losing ALL of your "street cred"...

here, say something to me in your BEST Negro Dialect...try it..

like Hillary when she campaigned reading that poem in a black church..

"Ahhh taint no ways taayyyrdd...."
"Ahhh come toooo ferrr ...."
"Noone done told me the road...."

or when Obama claimed he marched on Selma...

"Don't ya'll let anyone tell ya'll that Ahh didn't march and ain't down wit da struggle"
"Ahhm 50% African aaaand 50% typical white person( which don't count, cuz...you can see...Ahmmm Black, which means I dun marched on Selma just lak ya'll dun "

or Al Gore campaigning in black churches...white guy with a lisp trying to sound like a black preacher..too funny

"White Republicansth...don't want to count YOU in the thensthus"

not pandering but patronizing in my opinion but it seems to work...if you keep slamming aid to Haiti, or anywhere else for that matter.. you will be labeled a RACIST...

if you are suffering and need help in this country... you are probably too lazy to go get some help from the gazillions of public and private agencies that cater to every from of need...

these folks in Haiti for the most part had nothing before the disaster and now have less than nothing....what is happening to them is unimaginable...bad form to complain that we are helping them...

Last edited by scottw; 01-18-2010 at 06:41 AM..