Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Obama is a pr*ck

Obama and John Boehner were recently at an event (I don't know why Republicans agree to go anywhere with this jackass, all he does is insult them). Obama has a microphone (Boehner does not), and Obama criticizes the GOP for working on wasteful things. Obama said...

"John, you had legislation reaffirming that ‘In God We Trust’ is our motto? That’s not putting people back to work.”"

President Obama criticizes John Boehner for 'In God We Trust' Legislation

Obama, the sniveling coward that he is, calls out Boehner when he has no ability to respond. I wish Boehner yelled back "f*ck you, Barack. Some of us feel that God is worth talking about once in awhile, though clearly no one on your side of the aisle feels that way".

Obama has a reoutation for being a likeable guy, a good guy. He is not. He is anything but...

I'm tired of conservatives having to be nice. When liberals are nasty, they are called heroes for standing up for their beliefs. When conservatives throw elbows, we are called racists...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I saw the title and thought this was someone else's thread.

Please, OK to criticism but clean up the title a little next time.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
JohnnyD

So much for that whole recognizing your faults and trying to improve on them crap that you were trying to toss around back when you were leveraging religion for your arguments.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Finally someone else with a voice of reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Obama and John Boehner were recently at an event (I don't know why Republicans agree to go anywhere with this jackass, all he does is insult them). Obama has a microphone (Boehner does not), and Obama criticizes the GOP for working on wasteful things. Obama said...

"John, you had legislation reaffirming that ‘In God We Trust’ is our motto? That’s not putting people back to work.”"

President Obama criticizes John Boehner for 'In God We Trust' Legislation

Obama, the sniveling coward that he is, calls out Boehner when he has no ability to respond. I wish Boehner yelled back "f*ck you, Barack. Some of us feel that God is worth talking about once in awhile, though clearly no one on your side of the aisle feels that way".

Obama has a reoutation for being a likeable guy, a good guy. He is not. He is anything but...

I'm tired of conservatives having to be nice. When liberals are nasty, they are called heroes for standing up for their beliefs. When conservatives throw elbows, we are called racists...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
HEY I heard that
Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Scott - I thought it was you.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
There's also a bill for "In God We Trust" license plates!

Very important.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:

Please, OK to criticism but clean up the title a little next time.
Duly noted John.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
So much for that whole recognizing your faults and trying to improve on them crap that you were trying to toss around back when you were leveraging religion for your arguments.
Johnny, I don't claim to be anything other than what I am. Obama was supposed to be the guy who would descend from the heavens, rise above all the party bickering, and unite us all in one big hig. I keep hearing what a nice guy he is.

Time and time again, he uses his pulpit to attack those who are not in a position to respond. He did it to George Bush at his inauguration, he did it to the Supreme Court at the State of the Union, he did it to the Cambridge police at a press conference, and he just did it to the Speaker of the House.

Did Bush ever do that, in his 8 years?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
scottw

this shouldn't surprise you, he's alawys been a juvenile cheap shot artist who is fond of launching his attack when the target cannot respond....Supreme Court, for example and there were plenty of others...

5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage."

6. "A good tactic is one your people enjoy."

12. "The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative."

13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. In conflict tactics there are certain rules that [should be regarded] as universalities. One is that the opposition must be singled out as the target and 'frozen.'...

"...any target can always say, 'Why do you center on me when there are others to blame as well?' When your 'freeze the target,' you disregard these [rational but distracting] arguments..

Saul Alinsky
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Fly Rod

Apparently the GOP wants to take the crap that is thrown at them. With a dozen house job bills passed by the house and sitting in the democratic senate waiting for a vote which they so far will not vote on, Boehner and other GOP members should be speaking out, the news media will not mention the job bills passed by the house.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

cHuRCh LaDY BoOgeR bosSmAN

Quote:
Scott - I thought it was you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Johnny, I don't claim to be anything other than what I am. Obama was supposed to be the guy who would descend from the heavens, rise above all the party bickering, and unite us all in one big hig. I keep hearing what a nice guy he is.

Time and time again, he uses his pulpit to attack those who are not in a position to respond. He did it to George Bush at his inauguration, he did it to the Supreme Court at the State of the Union, he did it to the Cambridge police at a press conference, and he just did it to the Speaker of the House.

Did Bush ever do that, in his 8 years?
Quite honestly, I don't care what either of them are saying at the moment. I'm more interested in the cliche catholic "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality that started this thread.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Quite honestly, I don't care what either of them are saying at the moment. I'm more interested in the cliche catholic "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality that started this thread.
Johnny, Obama is a cheap-shot artist, and I called him that, and I provided irrefutable evidence. Last time I checked (by all means, corrcet me if I'm wrong), there's nothing in the Catholic catechism that precludes me from calling a jerk, a jerk.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

1 Peter Chapter 3

For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
1 Peter Chapter 3

For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
Nice try, doesn't mean that's part of the Catholic catechism. The bible and the catholic catechism are not the same thing. If you were right (and let me assure you that you are not), than Obama shouldn't be able to call himself Christian either, as his lips spew evil and guile all the time...

The catholic catechism doesn't preclude me from saying he's a jerk. Quoting the bible does not refute me.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
scottw

4. "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules. You can kill them with this, for they can no more obey their own rules than the Christian church can live up to Christianity." Saul Alinsky
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

From the Catholic Catechism...

2303 Deliberate hatred is contrary to charity. Hatred of the neighbor is a sin when one deliberately wishes him evil. Hatred of the neighbor is a grave sin when one deliberately desires him grave harm. "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."97

2304 Respect for and development of human life require peace. Peace is not merely the absence of war, and it is not limited to maintaining a balance of powers between adversaries. Peace cannot be attained on earth without safeguarding the goods of persons, free communication among men, respect for the dignity of persons and peoples, and the assiduous practice of fraternity. Peace is "the tranquillity of order."98 Peace is the work of justice and the effect of charity.99

Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
From the Catholic Catechism...

2303 Deliberate hatred is contrary to charity. Hatred of the neighbor is a sin when one deliberately wishes him evil. Hatred of the neighbor is a grave sin when one deliberately desires him grave harm. "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."97

2304 Respect for and development of human life require peace. Peace is not merely the absence of war, and it is not limited to maintaining a balance of powers between adversaries. Peace cannot be attained on earth without safeguarding the goods of persons, free communication among men, respect for the dignity of persons and peoples, and the assiduous practice of fraternity. Peace is "the tranquillity of order."98 Peace is the work of justice and the effect of charity.99
Not sure what your point is Dad. I don't desire grave harm to Obama, I just think that if he acts like a jerk, it's OK to call him a jerk, and I can still get holy communion this Sunday.

The point of my post is that I don't get why Obama has a reputation for being such a sweetheart, when he constantly throws cheap shots at conservatives who are not in a position to respond. He's a dirty cheap shot artist, he does it al the time.

If you want to turn this into a referendum on my standing in the Catholic church, well I don't see why you'd want to do that, but I'm fine with it. I am a Eucharistic minister in my parish, and am a Catholic in very good standing. I'm far from perfect, but I do not claim to be anything other than the flawed Catholic that I am. I'm a combat vet, I've done things that a liberal would think are much worse than calling Obama a jerk...but none of that puts me outside the bounds of Catholicism.

"respect for the dignity of persons and peoples"

Tell that to Obama. I don't need to hear that, but he does...he's the one who said "I have no idea what happened, but the Cambridge police acted stupidly". When I call him a jerk, it's based on a whole lot of actual, irrefutable evidence.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
scottw

I get it Kevin, one of our greatest weaknesses is the tendency to get drawn into conflict where we end up displaying anything but the ideals that we profess to maintain at our core....thanks for the reminder
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not sure what your point is Dad. I don't desire grave harm to Obama, I just think that if he acts like a jerk, it's OK to call him a jerk, and I can still get holy communion this Sunday.

The point of my post is that I don't get why Obama has a reputation for being such a sweetheart, when he constantly throws cheap shots at conservatives who are not in a position to respond. He's a dirty cheap shot artist, he does it al the time.

If you want to turn this into a referendum on my standing in the Catholic church, well I don't see why you'd want to do that, but I'm fine with it. I am a Eucharistic minister in my parish, and am a Catholic in very good standing. I'm far from perfect, but I do not claim to be anything other than the flawed Catholic that I am. I'm a combat vet, I've done things that a liberal would think are much worse than calling Obama a jerk...but none of that puts me outside the bounds of Catholicism.

"respect for the dignity of persons and peoples"

Tell that to Obama. I don't need to hear that, but he does...he's the one who said "I have no idea what happened, but the Cambridge police acted stupidly". When I call him a jerk, it's based on a whole lot of actual, irrefutable evidence.
I guess its all just up to interpretation then....I just see it differently than you do, that's all.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
I guess its all just up to interpretation then....I just see it differently than you do, that's all.
What do you see differently?

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I am curious, so feel free to spit it out, you won't hurt my feelings.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You said there was nothing in the Catholic Catechism that precludes you from calling Obama a Jerk.

I posted 2 passages from it that, from what I interpret, do say you shouldn't call him a jerk.

You don't agree....so we interpret them differently, that's all.

and I never said I am very good at practicing them....I've been known to be an A-Hole from time to time

Old 11-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
You said there was nothing in the Catholic Catechism that precludes you from calling Obama a Jerk.

I posted 2 passages from it that, from what I interpret, do say you shouldn't call him a jerk.

You don't agree....so we interpret them differently, that's all.

and I never said I am very good at practicing them....I've been known to be an A-Hole from time to time
The Catholic catechism doesn't preclude one from killing another if they deserve it...can't see why pointing out boorish behavior, and calling it what it is, would be worse.

The thread was about Obama. I guess you and Johnny feel that, because I identify myself as a Catholic, I'm not allowed to insult anyone.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm a Catholic, So I'm not picking on you because you are a Catholic.

Actually I'm not picking on you at all...at least I didn't think I was.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
JohnnyD

Quote:
Jim chooses to leverage religion to support his arguments then puts his fingers in his ears and tells you that it doesn't apply if you do the same. It's the Catholic cliche - "Do as I say, not as I do." I'm certainly no perfect Christian but I also don't try to leverage my religion to support my arguments.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim chooses to leverage religion to support his arguments then puts his fingers in his ears and tells you that it doesn't apply if you do the same. It's the Catholic cliche - "Do as I say, not as I do." I'm certainly no perfect Christian but I also don't try to leverage my religion to support my arguments.

Johnny, Christianity teaches us to try and turn the other cheek, and to love everyone. I support this concept. Does that mean that I can't say Obama is a jerk, when he repeatedly acts like a jerk? Is there any hypocrisy in that? I don't think so. If you can point out a specific example of hypocrisy on my part, please do. And when did I use religion to support my argument? I'm not in that habit of saying "such-and-such is a good idea, because the Pope says so". For example, I'm not anti-abortion because I happen to be Catholic. That would be putting the cart before the horse. If the Catholic church came out and said abortion was OK, I would find another church. I am Catholic because I find that religion's teachings to be consistent with my personal ethos.

Sorry you have an obvious issue with Catholics. I guess you hung out with some bad ones. The ones I know lead lives that we would all do well to emulate. None are perfect, of course. But their faith motivates them to try and do some really good, unselfish things.

I don't know that I've ever said "do as I say, not as I do". I'm arrogant enough to feel that my actions are the correct actions, almost all the time.

In any event, what this has to do with the obvious intent of my post, I have no idea, but I give up.