Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
spence

Gingrich: Most illegal immigrants should leave, reapply to become citizens

Quote:
NAPLES, FL -- Presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich defended his immigration policy after days of criticism from other GOP contenders – reiterating that he does not support amnesty -- on Friday night before his largest crowd yet on the campaign trail.

First Read - Gingrich: Most illegal immigrants should leave, reapply to become citizens
For someone who's arguably the smartest politician ever to walk the earth...Newt's sure digging a deep hole.

It really is a shame Mitt is so hard to like.

-spence
Old 11-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
For someone who's arguably the smartest politician ever to walk the earth...Newt's sure digging a deep hole.

It really is a shame Mitt is so hard to like.

-spence
Spence, for someone who's digging such a deep hole for himself, he's doing pretty well in the polls. Sorry to interrupt your rant with facts and all...

I think Newt is less electable than Romney, but a more skilled politician. And the reason I say he's less electable, has to do qwith the stupidity of the public. They care morew about the "cool" factor of a candidate, so that a pudgy, silver haired white guy has a strike against him. And for some Godforsaken reason, the Democrats (you know, the ones who gave us Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy) will convince the sheep out there that Gingrich isn't nice enough to his women to be president. That's what really gets me. When Clinton was president, all I heard from the Democrats was that marital infidelity was irrelevent. I don't want those folks to say a word about Gingrich. But they do.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Duke41
got gas?

Both parties criticize with what ever works. Newt is pretty brainy. But he comes off as an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, for someone who's digging such a deep hole for himself, he's doing pretty well in the polls. Sorry to interrupt your rant with facts and all...
Hmmm, first it was Perry, then Cain, now Newt. Seems like the media is just touring the candidates.

Quote:
I think Newt is less electable than Romney, but a more skilled politician. And the reason I say he's less electable, has to do qwith the stupidity of the public. They care morew about the "cool" factor of a candidate, so that a pudgy, silver haired white guy has a strike against him. And for some Godforsaken reason, the Democrats (you know, the ones who gave us Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy) will convince the sheep out there that Gingrich isn't nice enough to his women to be president. That's what really gets me. When Clinton was president, all I heard from the Democrats was that marital infidelity was irrelevent. I don't want those folks to say a word about Gingrich. But they do.
I love it, usually when someone goes off on how stupid the public is they're branded a liberal elitist.

And I notice you completely avoided the point of the thread, stick that in your little bag of facts.

-spence
Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Hmmm, first it was Perry, then Cain, now Newt. Seems like the media is just touring the candidates.

I love it, usually when someone goes off on how stupid the public is they're branded a liberal elitist. well, probably...an elitist....or JD

And I notice you completely avoided the point of the thread, stick that in your little bag of facts.

-spence
what is the point of the thread?

Last edited by scottw; 11-26-2011 at 01:31 PM..
Old 11-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
what is the point of the thread?
According to Spence, the point o fthe thread is that Newt is digging himself a hole. Problem with that theory is, Newt is the candidate with the most momentum right now, a fact which contradicts Spence's theory.I just want to see Newt debate Obama, to see Spencespin in in such a way to proclaim that Obama didn't get gutted like a fish.

Spence, what do you call it when people give Clinton and Ted Kennedy a pass, but they claim Newt's ethics are an issue? I call it stupid and hypocritical. Let's hear your spin on that.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

I have not taste for Newt, he's had his time and failed.

Go back to teaching and stealing more monyah from us folks
Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
scottw

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here
Old 11-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here
Thanks ScottW, I agree
Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
According to Spence, the point o fthe thread is that Newt is digging himself a hole. Problem with that theory is, Newt is the candidate with the most momentum right now,
You can be in the preparation (digging) of a hole without having exercised the option to jump into such hole with both feet. Give him time, the media are sure to turn up something which has Newt diving head first into that hole, not feet first.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
You can be in the preparation (digging) of a hole without having exercised the option to jump into such hole with both feet. Give him time, the media are sure to turn up something which has Newt diving head first into that hole, not feet first.
Bingo. Newt's problem is that he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is...

That's not to say he's not a very smart guy, rather, he actually suffers from a sharp intellect and quick wit...he doesn't think a lot of his ideas out first, he just blurts them out.

People are looking for policy that makes sense, not an edgy partisan attack artificially bolstered by a few historical factoids.

For the brightest guy out there he seems to be spending a lot of time backtracking and clarifying his positions.

-spence
Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Saltheart

Quote:
For the brightest guy out there he seems to be spending a lot of time backtracking and clarifying his positions.

-spence
That's because he is absolutely hated , hated by the left wing media. He is the most feared man in America right now by the left wingers because he has so much knowledge and intellect that he can eat them alive in face to face discussions. Because they fear him so much as a candidate , they are using every journalistic trick in the book to twist what he says , take things out of context and spin all they can. Dirty left wing journalism is the only weapon they have because he beats their brains out with facts , knowledge, a true understanding of the countries problems and , although difficult to swallow sometimes , real world solutions to those problems.

I don't know why the left is so worried. Very few Americans actually want someone who knows whats going on as their president. They just want someone who will continue to promise a free ride to all the people with their hands out. Gimme , gimme , gimme and I will vote for you...as we slowly slip into economic ruin from too many taking and too few paying.Newt is by far the most capable candidate but he has no chance of winning because he tells the truth.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
scottw

Quote:

problem is that he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is...

he doesn't think a lot of his ideas out first, he just blurts them out.

edgy partisan attack artificially bolstered by a few historical factoids.

For the "brightest" guy out there he seems to be spending a lot of time backtracking and clarifying his positions.

-spence
wow...sounds exactly like you? Yes, that's a rhetorical question.....

Last edited by scottw; 11-26-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
wow...sounds exactly like you? Yes, that's a rhetorical question.....
So you're saying I'm the brightest guy out there?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
scottw

Quote:
So you're saying I'm the brightest guy out there?
fixed it
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
spence

No, the left fears a new brand that can deliver the goods without the baggage or the ego. Newt they can contain, he's a known quantity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
That's because he is absolutely hated , hated by the left wing media. He is the most feared man in America right now by the left wingers because he has so much knowledge and intellect that he can eat them alive in face to face discussions. Because they fear him so much as a candidate , they are using every journalistic trick in the book to twist what he says , take things out of context and spin all they can. Dirty left wing journalism is the only weapon they have because he beats their brains out with facts , knowledge, a true understanding of the countries problems and , although difficult to swallow sometimes , real world solutions to those problems.

I don't know why the left is so worried. Very few Americans actually want someone who knows whats going on as their president. They just want someone who will continue to promise a free ride to all the people with their hands out. Gimme , gimme , gimme and I will vote for you...as we slowly slip into economic ruin from too many taking and too few paying.Newt is by far the most capable candidate but he has no chance of winning because he tells the truth.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I have not taste Newt, he's had his time and failed.

Go back to teaching and stealing more monyah from us folks
"Newt, he's had his time and failed."

He failed? At what? He led the Republlican revolution of 1994, which was a success. He cut taxes, vut spending, balanced the budget 4 years in a row, and got millions of people off the welfare rolls and back in the workforce. Most rational economists credit the Clinton/Gingrich economic policies with the incredible economic growth that followed. And those policies were NOT the natural instincts of Bill Clinton...those are conservative policies that Gingrich forced Clinton to adopt, and they were a smashing success. So how did he fail?

"Go back to teaching and stealing more monyah from us folks"

How has he stolen anything from anyone? I'd be interested to hear about that.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post

Phenomenal post Saltheart. Dead-on. The only thing I disagree with is that you said he has no chance of winning. I think Newt is less electable than Romney, but I wouldn't say he has no chance. If the GOP ticket is Gingrich/Rubio, it comes down to a few states like Ohio, PA, and VA. Obama is polling terribly with independents in those states.

"he can eat them alive in face to face discussions."

Damn right. I cannot tell you how badly I want to see a debate between Obama and Gingrich. I've been dying to see that for years, and there's a great chance it will happen. That would be the ultimate battle of style versus substance.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Bingo. Newt's problem is that he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is...

That's not to say he's not a very smart guy, rather, he actually suffers from a sharp intellect and quick wit...he doesn't think a lot of his ideas out first, he just blurts them out.

People are looking for policy that makes sense, not an edgy partisan attack artificially bolstered by a few historical factoids.

-spence
"People are looking for policy that makes sense"

Once again, your statements don't even have a passing relationship with reality.

Let's see what makes sense. Obama wants to tax and spend. Gingrich wants to shrink government spending and give more $$ to they free market. There's no better way to decide which makes more sense, than to see what happened when each of those ideas was put in place.

In Clinton's second term, Gingrich's GOP legislature cut taxes, cut spending, balanced the budget, got millions of us off welfare and back to work. After he did that, the economy grew like crazy, and unemployment shrunk.

Liberal policies of tax and spend? Ain't working in Europe, and it ain't working here.

Spence, I'm not a conservative because someone tells me I should be. I'm a conservative because all of the actual, epirical evidence, CLEARLY TELLS US that liberal Keynesian economics do not work. My conclusions are based on historical facts, not blind ideology. If the government could simply print enough money to give all of us a billion dollars, no one would be opposed to that. But despite how great it sounds, it cannot work.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Sea Dangles

I would suggest Newt is very smart but not a skilled politician.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:

"Go back to teaching and stealing more monyah from us folks"

How has he stolen anything from anyone? I'd be interested to hear about that.
Lobbying money from Freddie Mac? 1.6 million? to do what?

Never believed in his ability, never will.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Lobbying money from Freddie Mac? 1.6 million? to do what?

Never believed in his ability, never will.
You ask the question, "to do what"? The fact that you asked that question means that you do not know what he did, but yet you make the Evil Kineval-type leap to assume that he "stole" that money. I asked you why you think he stole the money, and the best you could do was admit you have no idea what he did, so you assume he stole it. Does that sound rational?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
You ask the question, "to do what"? The fact that you asked that question means that you do not know what he did, but yet you make the Evil Kineval-type leap to assume that he "stole" that money. I asked you why you think he stole the money, and the best you could do was admit you have no idea what he did, so you assume he stole it. Does that sound rational?
He can't even say what he did. look it up, evil one.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Here's what a former President says about Gingrich...

"Gingrich is emerging because “he thinks about this stuff all the time.”

“He’s articulate and he tries to think of a conservative version of an idea that will solve a legitimate problem,”

I watched the national security debate last night. And Newt said two things that would make an independent voter say, ‘Well, I gotta consider that.’

"I think he’s doing well just because he’s thinking, and people are hungry for ideas that make some sense.”

Bill Clinton Praises Old Foe Newt Gingrich

These praises for Gingrich came from Bill Clinton, whose presidency was saved when Gingrich forced Clinton to tack to the right, and the economic results speak for themselves. By any economic measure (unemployment, GDP, tax revenue base, drops in welfare),those policies were a smashing success.

Gingrich grew the economy by reducing spending and taxes. Obama has added trillions to our debt, and what do we have to show for it? Higher unemployment than what he started with. All his worshippers like Spence can do, is say that even though things are worse now than when he took office, that things would be EVEN WORSE had he not done what he did. You cannot prove the validity of something that didi nothappen, so this is a convenient strategy for the liberals.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Gingrich said he advised them but didn't lobby. As far as I know, there is zero evidence to refute that.

You're the one asserting Gingrich stole $1.6 million. Common sense suggests that the burden of proof is on you to support your claim, not on me to refute it. Sorry that I pointed out that you made a baseless accusation, but it's not my fault you're in that habit.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #26
spence

Quote:
He failed? At what? He led the Republlican revolution of 1994, which was a success. He cut taxes, vut spending, balanced the budget 4 years in a row, and got millions of people off the welfare rolls and back in the workforce.
You're talking about him like he was POTUS.

Quote:
Most rational economists credit the Clinton/Gingrich economic policies with the incredible economic growth that followed. And those policies were NOT the natural instincts of Bill Clinton...those are conservative policies that Gingrich forced Clinton to adopt, and they were a smashing success. So how did he fail?
Any rational economist would say the economic growth of the 1990's was due primarily to a technology bubble, without which, Clinton wouldn't have been in a position to negotiate on the economic elements of the Contract with America.

So, you've basically got it backwards.

Newt failed because he stopped leading on what got the 1994 Republican House majority elected. Instead we had the government shutdown, ethics issues and a party completely fixated on impeaching Clinton. The voters wanted non of it and the results were in the ballot box.

His resignation was a clear signal that his effectiveness had run out.

-spence
Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #27
spence

Quote:
No he did. Newt states clearly that he identified all the structural deficiencies in the organization and that had they only listened to him everything would have been OK.

Of course, Freddie says that's a bunch of horse #^&#^&#^&#^&.

I know if I paid someone 1.6 Million dollars for advice I'd at least expect some written report. Hell even a PPT should suffice.

What did he exactly do again?

-spence
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
No he did. Newt states clearly that he identified all the structural deficiencies in the organization and that had they only listened to him everything would have been OK.

Of course, Freddie says that's a bunch of horse #^&#^&#^&#^&.

-spence
if Freddie said it...must be true

Freddie Mac Seeks $6 Billion Bailout After Worst Quarterly Loss This Year

11/3/11

Mortgage finance giant Freddie Mac said on Thursday it will seek an additional $6 billion from U.S. taxpayers following its worst quarterly loss this year.

Freddie Mac has now drawn $72.2 billion from the government since it was taken over at the height of the financial crisis in September 2008.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #29
Whec721

Its a shame none of our canidates are ellectable, including our Commander in Cheat! Some ppl will hold onto this ethics, or lack of, but I dont know many Americans, or Politicians who havnt stole, or cheated the tax payer! I have family that work for the State, and Federal GOV., and always lie on there travel, and lodging forms,lol. Newt is no different than the average American home, father, or provider!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Nothing like some Real Substance in your 1st post here

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."