Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Ian,
I would just go with two or three sonotubes. It's not that much weight. You said it was on a hillside, so do not be surprised to find ledge before you get to intended depth. If you do, hammerdrill and pin a piece of re-bar into the ledge.

Gup,
Thanks for the heads up. I read somewhere that Garmin had infringed on some licensing or patent of side imaging and that is why they have to retool their product line. Done nothing yet, but am salting away a little here and there for a Simrad unit....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Ian,
I would just go with two or three sonotubes. It's not that much weight. You said it was on a hillside, so do not be surprised to find ledge before you get to intended depth. If you do, hammerdrill and pin a piece of re-bar into the ledge.

Gup,
Thanks for the heads up. I read somewhere that Garmin had infringed on some licensing or patent of side imaging and that is why they have to retool their product line. Done nothing yet, but am salting away a little here and there for a Simrad unit....
Thanks Ross, sound advice. With the holes being dug into the hillside, is 4' (frostline) still the depth? Or am I going to need to do some googling and math to figure out how slope affects frost line on hills?

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks Ross, sound advice. With the holes being dug into the hillside, is 4' (frostline) still the depth? Or am I going to need to do some googling and math to figure out how slope affects frost line on hills?
Technically, it is 4' from lowest side of the excavation (hole). Measure 4' from bottom of your post hole digger and mark it with tape. It is deeper than you/I think, every time. The tape will save pulling out a tape measure numerous times to see how deep you are...trust me. Locally, I hit something immovable before 4' more often than not.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote