Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
tautog

Sax Monster

The monster on the guitar we all know as is true for the female vocalist but check out the sax half way through the vid. Check out the expressions on Clapton and Crows faces during the solo.
Jazz people know him but a lot of folks don't.
Mr. Dave Sanborn, worth a listen to.

tautog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Been a big fan of his for a long time. I got into him when I heard him on a David Bowie album, Young Americans. His Voyeur album is great and researching him got me into Hiram Bullock his guitar player on a few albums. His studio credits speak for them selves. Great talent. He is more of an East Coast guy.
I also like Tom Scott a west coast guy. Funny how the east coast guys use east coast musicians and the west coast guys use theirs and their styles differ. A little hijack . Sorry

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Nice pick, tautog01 - Little Wing is pretty much on the top of my all-times - Clapton has always done that Hendrix tune proud going back to Derek and the Dominos but that was exceptional.

Sanborn is always impressive - don't know if you ever watched the music show he used to host on late at night on Sundays - 'Night Music' if I recall - the range of acts he had on was pretty incredible, the very best of jazz, blues and funk and it all worked together - I've still got several shows on tape if you're interested. It was on CBS, had to be at least a dozen or 15 years ago...

Tom Scott - got lots of his stuff on vinyl with him and the LA Express, Tomcat for one and his album with Joni Mitchell, Miles of Aisles

Ya know, ya scared me at first George, when you said Sax Monster - I thought you were talking about Pt Jude Joe

Seriously, if you haven't caught Joe on sax with the 3 man group he plays with you really have to - Joe is pretty damned good and Steve Rizzo the guitarist is excellent doing SRV and Hendrix.

Damn, can't remember the name of Joe's group...

The CRS is kicking in, time to put on another pot of starter fluid...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

put Sanborn in with a bunch of rock guys and he shines, put him in with a bunch of jazz guys and I think he is mediocre.
I am a conceited jazz snob so pardon my negativity.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog01 View Post
The monster on the guitar we all know as is true for the female vocalist but check out the sax half way through the vid. Check out the expressions on Clapton and Crows faces during the solo.
Jazz people know him but a lot of folks don't.
Mr. Dave Sanborn, worth a listen to.

Nice clip of Clapton !
The guy on stage with the most talent and has been one of the most influental a his instrument is the guy behind the drums, Steve Gadd !!!
Clapton hired he MANY times over the years !, so did just about every other artist from the late 60s - 90s !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Ron that is a very smart statement

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Kinda surprised me that the babe with the short do was Sheryl Crow - never heard her wail like that before - fairly impressive

Nice take on a great song - Derek style -

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote