Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Raven

Question ------------ T H I E F ----------

BUSTED

He stole over 40 million cards from mostly U.S.-based retailers.
He cost credit card companies over $11 million.

Ok the Hacker is a Russian

what should his sentence Be?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

He probably will be hailed as a hero at the politburo assembly and given a medal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Raven

LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Fly Rod

do not blame him entirely....should also punish the stores and the banks....banks and stores have been argruing for a couple of years over who is going to pay to make cards and the charge card machines more protective by adding a chip to have encryption and add a pin...they rather have us pay the first 50 bucks in some cases and their insurance company pay off.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Raven

thats so true
according to certain people in the know
our credit card technology is 20 years out of date

that, and now that people can simply walk by you
and scan your cards
so...we said "it's time" and signed
up for life lock
....and i feel no longer concerned anymore
about identity theft...
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
iamskippy

His punishment should be to get rid of our debt
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
The CEO of LifeLock got hacked couple years back!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
thats so true
according to certain people in the know
our credit card technology is 20 years out of date

that, and now that people can simply walk by you
and scan your cards
so...we said "it's time" and signed
up for life lock
....and i feel no longer concerned anymore
about identity theft...

Wrap them in tin foil in your wallet, in the the case of some of you mugs, your pocketbook.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post

That's because that dumb a$$ put his social security number on buses and challenged the hackers.

GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
WESTPORTMAFIA

His sentence should be nothing. The banks,credit card companies, and retailers pretty much leave it wide open for fraudulent transactions.

Making it mandatory to show Id on every transaction would help and be too easy for the whole system. Something is up!! I use my debit card over 100 times per month every month and only get asked for id once every couple of months even though the merchants run it as credit 80% of the time.The cards can be easily linked to a state or govt issued ID card upon issuance and be required to show the same at point of sale. No ID? NO sale. Easy as that for debit and credit. These buttholes steal the card # and name make a card and go shop with no Id required. Good for them! Why not? its so easy!
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Fly Rod

If U sign your name on back of card it is an easy pass....at regrister they just look if signed they do not care.

It is very simple what to do....just write on back of card: See I D ... it works for me 99% of the time....they do not follow through if it has a name on the back....DuRRRRR...
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
WESTPORTMAFIA

99% of the time not even close. Half of the time it's swipe on your own and they don't look or ask.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
These buttholes steal the card # and name make a card and go shop with no Id required. Good for them! Why not? its so easy!
good for them?
why not?
yes it's easy for them, but that does not make it right. It makes it stealing and it's wrong and against the law. No different than a pick pocket.

Just because you leave your fishing rod on your roof and someone steals it , doesn't make it good for the person who stole it

so you're blaming the banks and credit card companies? maybe they are lacking in up to date security, but that should not invite theft.
People should have integrity and morals, what's mine is mine, what's yours is yours. so if you are going to steal cards, take them from commies

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
WESTPORTMAFIA

And writing see I'd on the back doesn't do anything to the guy who just made a brand new card and signed his version of your card
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Raven

just goes to show ya that picture ID credit cards
are quite necessary
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
buckman

Yes but picture EBT cards would be degradeing
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
Raven

same thing has to be done with
social security cards
and MM cards too
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
good for them?
why not?
yes it's easy for them, but that does not make it right. It makes it stealing and it's wrong and against the law. No different than a pick pocket.

Just because you leave your fishing rod on your roof and someone steals it , doesn't make it good for the person who stole it

so you're blaming the banks and credit card companies? maybe they are lacking in up to date security, but that should not invite theft.
People should have integrity and morals, what's mine is mine, what's yours is yours. so if you are going to steal cards, take them from commies
People should have integrity and morals. Keyword is should. Yes that's who I'm blaming for sure. If they weren't wrong they wouldn't be refunding everyone for fraudulent charges. And people don't leave their rod's on their roof because we know that someone would steal them. It's how the world is.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
Raven

IN both instances....whether it's fishing gear
or credit card accounts and or identity theft "STOLEN"

the Punishment does not fit the CRIME
and needs to be RAMPED way on up!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #20
Fly Rod

Slit the wrists of the credit card thief with a credit card...make him bleed...LOL...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
Raven

i was thinking you could surgically sever
all his nerves to his fingers so he couldn't feel
the keyboard anymore.... because he can never
re-pay his debt to society
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
Raven

Question oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
did he pay himself a million dollars ?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
If U sign your name on back of card it is an easy pass....at regrister they just look if signed they do not care.
I am actually in the middle on an experiment ask we speak. We have been playing the "points/cash back" game and the latest & greatest deal is on an account in my husbands name. I had my card under this account in my wallet and when I started using it a couple weeks ago I noticed I never signed it. Well lets just say I use it for just about everything and in those couple of weeks so far not one person has asked me yet for ID or even commented on the fact that it is not signed! I am curious to see how long it takes before I am questioned for the first time!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

in the old days, you were hanged for stealing a horse
serious stuff, the punishment fits the crime and it is a good deterent.

if nothing happens to the hacker, then there is no punishment or deterent to do it again, like poachers in fishing.

blaming the CC co. is like saying too bad it's your fault you left your rod on your roof while you stepped away for a moment, so I guess you might as well just hand to someone if you are going to leave something for a moment unattended

maybe someday soon they will get it together and be able to be a step ahead of hackers and thieves. It is costing consumers millions

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
so if you are going to steal cards, take them from commies
Cant take from someone who has nothing. (+ their cards are chipped for the most part)

Storing track data on magnetic strips on cards is super antique. Has no security and its basically a 70's - 80's throwback to times when the folks who could read the track data thought themselves smarter than the average person. Now you can buy card plastics online with holograms and have them delivered to your home. There was a recent bust in Florida on a guy running just such an operation.

Wallets that prevent scanning are a good measure for cards with mag strips. Better are cards which have a chip and the chips contains encrypted data. Granted its rather weak encryption however if posed with the option of scanning a mag strip card or having to actually do something and break encryption on a chipped card, the lower hanging fruit will always be picked first.

If you are concerned with cards/card based security I suggested reading a few of the articles on Krebs on Security. He does a REAL good job of explaining everything and makes it a point to not talk over peoples heads.

Further security, is to contact the 3 major credit reporting agencies and establish 1. monitoring 2. a secure password/passcode for the opening of any new credit accounts.

Quote:

blaming the CC co. is like saying too bad it's your fault you left your rod on your roof while you stepped away for a moment, so I guess you might as well just hand to someone if you are going to leave something for a moment unattended

maybe someday soon they will get it together and be able to be a step ahead of hackers and thieves. It is costing consumers millions
The evil software (black pos) that is being used on these point of sales(pos) terminals has been available and in the open for quite awhile now(2008 or so). I feel that all in the chain of processing the card systems payments should be held accountable. No one wants to spend the money on security until something horrible happens and then its too late the reputational damage has been made.

Last edited by ThrowingTimber; 02-07-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #26
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I am actually in the middle on an experiment ask we speak. We have been playing the "points/cash back" game and the latest & greatest deal is on an account in my husbands name. I had my card under this account in my wallet and when I started using it a couple weeks ago I noticed I never signed it. Well lets just say I use it for just about everything and in those couple of weeks so far not one person has asked me yet for ID or even commented on the fact that it is not signed! I am curious to see how long it takes before I am questioned for the first time!
I use the wife's card often, they R not signed, I'm almost never asked for an ID even with a womens name on the front...only place that I have been refused to use her card is at the local super market....some places here under 50 bucks U do not even have to sign....when I do sign, I sign her name... never questioned.

Now, since I put "See I D" on my card I am asked 99.9% of the time.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #27
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

He stole over 40 million cards from mostly U.S.-based retailers.
He cost credit card companies over $11 million.

Ok the Hacker is a Russian

what should his sentence Be?

This is not the work of 1 person. This is a sophisticated group, with established rules, software dev cycles, testing cycles and all the rest that goes along with bringing a concept to market.

If I had to venture a guess its the remaining bad actors who owned TJX's systems who were never captured, or they're at the very least acting in a support role.

Earliest reports from target are losses of $420 million. 11 million is an incorrect figure.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #28
Raven

i think your right about the amount

errors are made to keep the companies stock value from taken a nose dive
Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #29
FishermanTim

When doling out the punishment, we seem to be thinking in the "well it didn't happen to ME, so it's really not that horrible" mindset.

What would you want for a punishment if they had stolen YOUR identity?
What if someone wiped out your life savings?
What if you could lose your house because a hacker screwed with your mortgage information?

Consider what you would do if the theft directly affected you and your livelihood?

I would seek nothing short of life in solitary, with NO chance of parole and NO contact with the outside world. (Since they commited an electronic crime, this would be OK with me.)

If thier actions caused anyone's death (suicide or murder) then they should be executed. Let the punishment fit the crime.

Unfortunately the punishment nowadays is doled out to the victims, while the criminals get a proverbial slap on the wrist!

Last edited by FishermanTim; 02-12-2014 at 12:13 PM..

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #30
Raven

Considering that identity theft is "THE MOST" prevalent Crime happening
this is JUST UNACCEPTABLE (slap on wrist)