Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Seems to me that these bonuses are incentive for further failure. Rewards for a job poorly done.
Even worse it's reflective of how some live in a different world than most of us. These execs were able to game the system and earn incredible sums of money for AIG. I think revenues went from 750M to over 3 Billion in just a few years. At that point you can pretty much write your own ticket and they did, asking that their 2007 bonus be written into the 2008 contract in advance.

Every person working in the UK office where the division was HQ'd was earning over 1M a year according to a news show I saw last night, I'm assuming they were not counting admins etc...

-spence
Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #32
Duke41
got gas?

ditto
Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #33
buckman

It didn't hurt that they also insure the pensions of the scum writing the policy that regulates them. That's most likely the real reason we bailed them out in the first place.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It didn't hurt that they also insure the pensions of the scum writing the policy that regulates them. That's most likely the real reason we bailed them out in the first place.
Aren't most pensions insured by the USGovernment?

-spence
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
buckman

I'm pretty sure the Congressional pensions are backed by AIG.
On a side note: Where else can you work for a couple years and get 100% pension? And they grandstand over bonus $$$.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #36
spence

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Congressional pensions are backed by AIG.
On a side note: Where else can you work for a couple years and get 100% pension? And they grandstand over bonus $$$.
That's only because you believe the stupid bull%$%$%$%$ email threads sent by your friends.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...ecause_it.html

Don't feel bad, even my father was conned by the "Obama spending millions to give Palestenian terrorists exile in USA" or whatever it was email floating around a few weeks ago.

As for the pension plan, how else are they going to attract top tal...tal......ta......

Sorry, I just couldn't say it.

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #37
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That's only because you believe the stupid bull%$%$%$%$ email threads sent by your friends.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...ecause_it.html

Don't feel bad, even my father was conned by the "Obama spending millions to give Palestenian terrorists exile in USA" or whatever it was email floating around a few weeks ago.

As for the pension plan, how else are they going to attract top tal...tal......ta......

Sorry, I just couldn't say it.

-spence
Oh. my bad. Fact check is all BS too. Take this line for example"The fund's assets are backed by the earned benefits of [federal] employees." Sure it is
Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #38
spence

Quote:
Oh. my bad. Fact check is all BS too. Take this line for example"The fund's assets are backed by the earned benefits of [federal] employees." Sure it is
I love the recent attack on Factcheck.org as being biased because the Annenberg Institute is from Chigago and so is Obama...give me a break

The statement you're balking at is a quote from a person who manages the pension in question. Not sure how you can have an issue with that.

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #39
buckman

Quote:
I love the recent attack on Factcheck.org as being biased because the Annenberg Institute is from Chigago and so is Obama...give me a break

The statement you're balking at is a quote from a person who manages the pension in question. Not sure how you can have an issue with that.

-spence
So if the pension funds took the hit everyone else has, how are they paying for it? We are paying for it, that's how. Who do you think pays them? Just look at the Ma. pension disaster. Too many gift pensions, too little money. Now I will assume that the Feds. have there's effin us just as bad.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #40
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I do not approve....I think its a joke and it is not legal. But try telling the friggin' government that! I am not happy about the AIG bonuses but I definitely do not think the government should be allowed to make up new rules as they go along! I think I might start doing the same thing and see how they like it!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
So if the pension funds took the hit everyone else has, how are they paying for it? We are paying for it, that's how. Who do you think pays them? Just look at the Ma. pension disaster. Too many gift pensions, too little money. Now I will assume that the Feds. have there's effin us just as bad.
Like I said before, I thought most if not all pension funds had Federal protection, on paper at least. I believe this program is pretty much out of money though given the huge pressure from the auto industry and other large organizations failing.

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #42
bssb
river rat

for 8 years the republicans ran this country. their policies put us in this mess we are in now. somehow they think the same policies will get us out. you can't argue with that kind of logic.

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #43
Duke41
got gas?

ditto look i am ditto head
Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
for 8 years the republicans ran this country. their policies put us in this mess we are in now. somehow they think the same policies will get us out. you can't argue with that kind of logic.
So what's the new policy we should be using?

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #45
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
How do you figure? Who has controlled the House and Senate for the last couple?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #46
spence

Quote:
How do you figure? Who has controlled the House and Senate for the last couple?
Did the Dem Congress generate any law without Bush's signature?

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #47
buckman

Quote:
Did the Dem Congress generate any law without Bush's signature?

-spence
And Bush didn't sign any laws the Dems hadn't worked on before it crossed his desk.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
And Bush didn't sign any laws the Dems hadn't worked on before it crossed his desk.
Ummm, it doesn't work that way.

Up until the last two years of Bush's second term the GOP pretty much had complete control of the House and Senate. And even when the Dems had a technical majority, there was just a slim margin...

Regardless of what Congress sends to the President to sign into law, it's the President who signs it. Nancy Pelosi can draft a bill stating all welfare queens get Armani shopping bags, and if Bush signed it, he owns it.

-spence
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #49
buckman

Quote:
Ummm, it doesn't work that way.

Up until the last two years of Bush's second term the GOP pretty much had complete control of the House and Senate. And even when the Dems had a technical majority, there was just a slim margin...

Regardless of what Congress sends to the President to sign into law, it's the President who signs it. Nancy Pelosi can draft a bill stating all welfare queens get Armani shopping bags, and if Bush signed it, he owns it.

-spence
I said the last couple years.

I think Obama has already signed a couple "imperfect" bills. The dem's can control what the President signs. They just didn't allow anything to pass them that they didn't want or agree too. then they would claim they were decieved by the evil Bush. But we won't bring up their lack of attention to detail. At least not while we have the big "AIG bonus crisis" on our hands.

Kind of ironic that they still don't read the bills they push through.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #50
sokinwet

http://www.publicpensionsonline.com/...n%206%2007.pdf Buck - Some good basic info. on the MA pension system.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #51
JohnnyD

Quote:
I think they figured out a whole new way to kill the Dow rebound. Well done Dems.
Being gone for 2 weeks, I forgot how much I missed the scope in which you place the entire country's economic state within the Dow.

You can blame the Dems, but have your Repubs supported it too.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-143