Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Everyone here voted for government representation that put these laws into place.

You my friend are guilty as charged.

-spence
No, not everone here voted for those who are responsible for putting whichever laws you're referring to in place. There were many votes against every member of Congress. And of those elected many were against laws that were passed.

The culprit is not primarily We the People who must vote between meeny, miney, and moe. It is those who have controlled the levers of power and used those machines to subvert their constitutional limitations. And by so doing have given themselves powers to legislate that were not given them by the Constitution. The Constitution, as written, does not give them the power legislate for the general welfare in the way they do. And whatever culpability we the voters have is mitigated by the nefarious means that leaves us choices that were never intended to be given. We were warned by the founders that once the people were given access to the public treasury, that would be the end of the Republic. They understood human cupidity, and created a form of government that would lessen the publics access to the people's treasury, and would even limit the Federal Government's ability to grow a treasury so massive as today's relative to the private sector. We the People, all of us including the many that protest against it, are saddled with a leviathan government that has enticed the ignorant into being its dependants, and rides herd on the rest. For blame, look more to those who decided that the Constitution was too restrictive, that the central government must be free to do what was meant for state and local governments and the people themselves were to do. And must be free to do it all without powerful checks and balances.

Stealing the treasure of freedom for tokens of dependency was the meanest con trick in our history.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

How did this end up here? Off to the Pit of Despair it goes.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I started dumping more into my 401K and HSA account to protect it from being taxed, but it still sucks.
Remember, if you put money into a pre-tax 401(k), you don't avoid taxes, you delay them. The trick is to pay your taxes when the rates are lower. I put all my money into an afetr-tax (Roth) 401(k). I prefer to my taxes today. Why? Because our debt will be $20 trillion when Obama is finally gone. Figure at least another $40 trillion to provide Social Security and Medicare benefits to the Baby Boomers.

I can't see how taxes are not significantly higher in 20 years than they are today. Therefore it's better to pay the taxes today, at a lower rate.

Obviously we'll all be in different brackets in the future, lots of moving pieces...but delaying your tax withholding until you cash out your 401(k), isn't always in your best interests.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Remember, if you put money into a pre-tax 401(k), you don't avoid taxes, you delay them. The trick is to pay your taxes when the rates are lower. I put all my money into an afetr-tax (Roth) 401(k). I prefer to my taxes today.

I agree but unfortunately our Government doesn’t allow everyone to have a Roth…………you know, all the rich millionaires………

If you aren’t eligible for a Roth, you could put taxed pay into a 401K that will not be taxed later (the gains will be taxed though).

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #35
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Remember, if you put money into a pre-tax 401(k), you don't avoid taxes, you delay them. The trick is to pay your taxes when the rates are lower. I put all my money into an afetr-tax (Roth) 401(k). I prefer to my taxes today. Why? Because our debt will be $20 trillion when Obama is finally gone. Figure at least another $40 trillion to provide Social Security and Medicare benefits to the Baby Boomers.

I can't see how taxes are not significantly higher in 20 years than they are today. Therefore it's better to pay the taxes today, at a lower rate.

Obviously we'll all be in different brackets in the future, lots of moving pieces...but delaying your tax withholding until you cash out your 401(k), isn't always in your best interests.
Not just tax rate but income bracket: delaying taxes until retirement and no long drawing a salary, just SS.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Economics 101 do not raise taxes in a recession.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Don't raise taxes period. Live within your means.
People forget we hire these Politicians, they work for us.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
How do I send them a Pink Slip....Today?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Too late TDF, I'm afraid it's too late.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #39
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I think the politicians would say........

Annotating Obama’s 2006 speech against boosting the debt limit - The Washington Post

why do we have "debt limits"..."debt ceilings" and big fights over them when they don't appear to limit or ceiling anything?????
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I hear ya Scott. I should have said-
People forget we hire these Politicians, They are SUPPOSED to work for us.

But then again, evidently the people who voted (hired) them back,
must like higher taxes, more debt, bigger government and less freedom.

Outside the libs who like it that way,so many uinformed voters learning the hard way.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #41
basswipe

I've refrained long enough.And lets not forget my "A Promise?" thread.I need some Obama supporter here to explain why what you see below happened.

When your boy Obama "gave" us this payroll "taxcut" of 2% my weekly pay increased by $12.When he taketh away my pay decreased by $38.The ONLY variable here is the payroll tax cut and NOTHING else.

Where's my missing $26?You need to explain and explain it right as I am TIRED of having smoke blown up my a$$ by this administration.

I want an explanation.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I've refrained long enough.And lets not forget my "A Promise?" thread.I need some Obama supporter here to explain why what you see below happened.

When your boy Obama "gave" us this payroll "taxcut" of 2% my weekly pay increased by $12.When he taketh away my pay decreased by $38.The ONLY variable here is the payroll tax cut and NOTHING else.

Where's my missing $26?You need to explain and explain it right as I am TIRED of having smoke blown up my a$$ by this administration.

I want an explanation.
you need to take that up with your payroll. take a paycheck where you only got $12 and calcualte the % of your pay and see what it is. Take a current paycheck and do the same thing. I get your frustration but here is the kicker - ITS YOUR PAYCHECK and you should understand where every cent goes. Spend some time with a calculator. I cant tell you big O doesnt waste your money once he gets it, but there is no funny business going on while withholding or taking out your SS/Medicare. its a formula your payroll provider is running.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
spence

Wipe, you have to look at your net throughout the whole year. Not all deductions, especially at the state level are taken out the same each month.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #44
basswipe

Dammit I KNEW I could not get a straight answer.

Jimmy,Spence.....sorry but NO I don't except either of what you say.My paycheck has been EXACTLY the same since before Obama was hired(crappy economy=no pay increase in all those years).As I already stated the ONLY difference here is our Spender-In-Chief's so called "gift".

My payroll company only takes out of my check what is determined by local,state,federal government and myself.The ONLY thing that has changed in all those years is the giving and subsequent taking away of the "gift" and other state and local taxes which have been accounted for.Everything has been accounted for.I'm not an idiot I pay attention to my paycheck quite closely.....I have no choice but to pay attention, I'm Working Class.

What I need explained to me is how Obama can give me a "gift" then take away said "gift" and in the process take more of my money after he takes his "gift" back than he was taking before the "gift".

There is no magic formula my payroll company is using to determine what is withdrawn from my paycheck.What is taken out of my paycheck is once again determined by local,state,fed and myself.2% should be nothing more than 2% and yet it is not under this admin,2% "pre-gift" does not equal 2% "post-gift".What it boils down to is Obama has found a way to make 2% more than 2%.The amount of money being taken out of my check for SS is now more than it was before the "gift" and yet 2% should equal 2% and yet is does not under this admin.

Once again I ask where has my $26 gone to?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #45
scottw

Quote:
just chalk it up to Obama math..too frustrating to try to figure it out...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #46
spence

Quote:
Dammit I KNEW I could not get a straight answer.

Jimmy,Spence.....sorry but NO I don't except either of what you say.My paycheck has been EXACTLY the same since before Obama was hired(crappy economy=no pay increase in all those years).As I already stated the ONLY difference here is our Spender-In-Chief's so called "gift".

My payroll company only takes out of my check what is determined by local,state,federal government and myself.The ONLY thing that has changed in all those years is the giving and subsequent taking away of the "gift" and other state and local taxes which have been accounted for.Everything has been accounted for.I'm not an idiot I pay attention to my paycheck quite closely.....I have no choice but to pay attention, I'm Working Class.

What I need explained to me is how Obama can give me a "gift" then take away said "gift" and in the process take more of my money after he takes his "gift" back than he was taking before the "gift".

There is no magic formula my payroll company is using to determine what is withdrawn from my paycheck.What is taken out of my paycheck is once again determined by local,state,fed and myself.2% should be nothing more than 2% and yet it is not under this admin,2% "pre-gift" does not equal 2% "post-gift".What it boils down to is Obama has found a way to make 2% more than 2%.The amount of money being taken out of my check for SS is now more than it was before the "gift" and yet 2% should equal 2% and yet is does not under this admin.

I think you should contact your payroll person and get the details then. The payroll tax doesn't contain any voodoo.

As for the notion of the "gift". Think of it as a nice bottle of booze. You get it as a gift, drink it and enjoy it, then the bottle runs dry...

-spence
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #47
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
As for the notion of the "gift". Think of it as a nice bottle of booze. You get it as a gift, drink it and enjoy it, then the bottle runs dry...

-spence
Your analogy would work if you said "You get it as a gift, then receive a bill for 10x the cost of the booze".
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Your analogy would work if you said "You get it as a gift, then receive a bill for 10x the cost of the booze".
and in each case...it's YOUR money..nobody "gave" you anything, they just took less of it and then took credit for being generous and caring and in the tax "holiday" spirit

also, ask your employer...they're matching these contributions for you x however many employees...imagine how they must feel
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #49
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
also, ask your employer...they're matching these contributions for you x however many employees...imagine how they must feel
Employers didn't get a tax break, only the employees.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #50
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

basswipe, in this extremely bizzaro world that Spence and I agree - serioulsy contact your payroll. They should be able to explain it. You should be able to clearly find out where your $26 went. If you have more than the % being taken out of your pay, thats a problem. Its as simple as that

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #51
scottw

[QUOTE=JohnnyD Employers didn't get a tax break, only the employees.[/QUOTE]

thanks JD...so let's review.....some American tax payers were granted a "Tax Holiday" by the Omnificent(that's for TDF to Google ) Obama, this "tax holiday" was a reduction of "taxes" paid into Social Security which is, we're told, not really a tax but a form of retirement savings with a guaranteed benefit amount once we survive to a certain age and assuming that it is still exists in some form as it is routinely referred to as one of the unsustainable guaranteed benefits that aren't technically "taxes" , among other things.....this "holiday" was supposed to stimulate the economy and had an expiration date at which time the economy should have been sufficiently stimulated? also, this "holiday" did not apply to employers who make matching contributions to the unsustainable guaranteed benefit on behalf of the employees, thus, they continued to make matching contributions to match contributions not actually being made by some taxpayers to the unsustainable guaranteed benefit during the "tax holiday" period...and now everyone is upset because their paychecks are a little smaller......

no wonder we're so bleeped up.....
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
basswipe, in this extremely bizzaro world that Spence and I agree - serioulsy contact your payroll. They should be able to explain it. You should be able to clearly find out where your $26 went. If you have more than the % being taken out of your pay, thats a problem. Its as simple as that
I'm sure we agree a lot more than you'd like to admit.

-spence
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #53
Typhoon

Deval Patrick has decided to say F it and gone off the reservation here in Mass.

Higher income tax
Higher gas tax
Higher tax on taxes.

-Andrew