Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

WTF is going on in Boston?

Suspicious packages wired to bridge girders all over town?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Gloucester2

More ??????

I read about the one this morning.

If this is a hoax they should treat the scumbag the same as if it was a real device - the $$$$$$$$ lost due to this crap is unbelievable
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
riverrat2

It's a hoax. It is all over the news, one of the bombs was shaped like a character from a cartoon called Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Ya shoulda heard the newscasters callling the cartoon a "Stoner" show. I think it is so funny how some people see my geration vs. their own. Like this kind of thing never happened 20 or 30 years ago.
riverrat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
stripersnipr

I really can't conceive of someone doing this for "fun". We'd be pretty stupid if we didn't consider this possibly being a dry run for a real attempt. Imagine the consequencess of taking out four key bridges in any city?
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Gloucester2

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/cit...us_obje_1.html
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Bronko

Cartoon network Guerilla Advertising campaign. I think they may be in a heap of trouble.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Bigcat

My guess it is a bunch of college kids?
To many devices for one person, they will get them with all the cameras that are all over the city

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Raven

college kids.... maybe...but i doubt it....
i'd say younger than that...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
MIT nitwits no doubt! All the book smarts on earth and not an ounce of common sense!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

one was found at a comic book shop.........hope it was worth going to prison for
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
riverrat2

I am thinking some 40year old loser who watches to much cartoon network and lives in his parents basement.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
MAC

FBI is involved now as is the Dept of Homeland Security. If they catch the pranksters, they will be in deep "doodoo".
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

ATF too

Last edited by Young Salt; 01-31-2007 at 08:34 PM..
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat2 View Post
It's a hoax. It is all over the news, one of the bombs was shaped like a character from a cartoon called Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Ya shoulda heard the newscasters callling the cartoon a "Stoner" show. I think it is so funny how some people see my geration vs. their own. Like this kind of thing never happened 20 or 30 years ago.

9/11 took away a lot of my generation's sense of humor over stuff like that

But, that really ain't the point. The real point is, the FBI never had a sense of humor over stuff like that, and is less likely to just laugh it off now than ever before

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
riverrat2

Ya I am not disagree with you that this is serious. I just think it is kind of dumb that the first thing the news says is that it must be a college kid.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Cartoon network Guerilla Advertising campaign. I think they may be in a heap of trouble.
Chan. 7 just reported that CNN's parent company, Turner Broadcasting, said this was a publicity stunt for some new cartoon. Man, what a bunch of idiots!!!! Official statement coming shortly, apparently.

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Its already listed on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Teen_Hunger_Force

Images of ATHF Characters Ignignokt and Err were found on "suspicious devices" in and around Metro Boston. The "devices" were a "keyboard-like device" found wrapped in black tape or duct tape and when "turned on" an "electronic screen" would show a character (either Err or Ignignokt) flipping the viewer of that screen off.

Turner Broadcasting System has issued a statement saying "The 'packages' in question are magnetic lights that pose no danger. They are part of an outdoor marketing campaign in 10 cities in support of Adult Swim's animated television show Aqua Teen Hunger Force"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #18
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I hope they shut them stoopid effers down now . LOOK at how many people and businesses they caused to be tied up and lose money today. NOT to mention the bomb guys, police, atf, fbi etc.

What a bunch of jackASSES. It NEVER ceases to amaze me how STOOOPID people can be at times. WHERE were these peoples heads.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
Raven

i think their mom lied about not drinking during her pregnancy.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
WHERE were these peoples heads.

probably this guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bull#^&#^&#^&#^&ter%20in%20action.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	19250  
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #21
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Yea for sure Dave. Yanno I put fault on this on both sides. #1 Turner should have notified the city etc about this stuff before they did it. Maybe it's me but I find it very socially irresponsible to just throw 38 of these things around the city and leave them there. They would get wrecked/run over etc and it's useless trash in the city. That they would do something like this is disgusting. Obviously not well thought out.

But #2 I fault the cops etc too. I just saw pictures of these things. They are very clearly something commercially made...LITERALLY a plastic front panel meant to look like a lite-brite with 4 D cell batteries, a photocell, and a capacitor that only acts as a switch when the photocell reaches a low enough resistance the capacitor charges and allows the led lights to light up. VERY simple electronics. VERY simple circuit. THAT the Boston Police etc would call these IED's just blows my mind. The first one yes maybe as a real far stretch...but to the extent that they went to today it just boggles my mind the resources they wasted. A simple circuit with led lights in a commercially manufactured/molded panel that looks like a cartoon character is hardly something to be called an ied.

Edit and they been there for 3-4 weeks too...theres a article on the boston herald site that quotes a guy from ny that says he took a pic of one and stole it on january 15. NO-ONE noticed these til today?
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #22
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
What a bunch of jackASSES. It NEVER ceases to amaze me how STOOOPID people can be at times. WHERE were these peoples heads.
Yeah where were the heads of the FBI STATE CITY AND EVERYONE ELSE?

Leave a carboard box on a sidewalk in Boston and someone is likely to call in a report of.....

TERRRRRRRRISM

OPEN THE FLY TO YOUR SUNSHINE!

SCARY AND FORBODING DON'T LOOK!

The sun power is overwhelming.

Last edited by likwid; 01-31-2007 at 06:18 PM..

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Yeah where were the heads of the FBI STATE CITY AND EVERYONE ELSE?

Leave a carboard box on a sidewalk in Boston and someone is likely to call in a report of.....

TERRRRRRRRISM

OPEN THE FLY TO YOUR SUNSHINE!

SCARY AND FORBODING DON'T LOOK!

The sun power is overwhelming.
Yeah, they should've just ignored the unidentified electronic devices attached to bridge supports, idiots. How dare they try and protect the city from Terrorism.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #24
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Yeah, they should've just ignored the unidentified electronic devices attached to bridge supports, idiots. How dare they try and protect the city from Terrorism.
Gimme an f'in break.
There is no "hoax" there never was any malice intended.
How come we're the ONLY CITY that has gone apesh** over this yet its been done in 10 OTHER CITIES OVER 2 WEEKS?

People are so obsessed with seeing bombs and seeing terrorists everywhere around them.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
stripersnipr

Quote:
People are so obsessed with seeing bombs and seeing terrorists everywhere around them.
Yeah, especially the ones who lost family or friends on 9/11. What a bunch of idiots huh?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Yeah, especially the ones who lost family or friends on 9/11. What a bunch of idiots huh?
This has nothing to do with the families of 9/11.
Did someone related to a person who died in 9/11 find these? I doubt it. And what does a bunch of planes flying into buildings have to do with SMALL DEVICES WITH LIGHTS ON THEM?!

If someone dropped their cellphone on the sidewalk and it was blinking and ringing would you call in an alert of terrorism?!

And who's gonna pay for all of this OT for the cops? Why we will! I mean how many towns have cops that go home and go to sleep on duty? How many times do you see an extra cruiser at a construction site doing nothing? And as a matter of fact, how come we're one of the few states that uses cops as flag men on road construction? Half of the rest of the country seems fine having just a road worker do it!

Remember, every time something like this brings a city to its knees like this, they win again.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #27
stripersnipr

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the families of 9/11.
Did someone related to a person who died in 9/11 find these? I doubt it. And what does a bunch of planes flying into buildings have to do with SMALL DEVICES WITH LIGHTS ON THEM?!

If someone dropped their cellphone on the sidewalk and it was blinking and ringing would you call in an alert of terrorism?!

And who's gonna pay for all of this OT for the cops? Why we will! I mean how many towns have cops that go home and go to sleep on duty? How many times do you see an extra cruiser at a construction site doing nothing? And as a matter of fact, how come we're one of the few states that uses cops as flag men on road construction? Half of the rest of the country seems fine having just a road worker do it!
I didn't know planes flown into buildings was the only method of attack Terrorists utilized, my bad. Hope they never find out bombs work too. I'm not even going to make an attempt at connecting the flag men at construction sites and dropped cell phones to this thread.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
I didn't know planes flown into buildings was the only method of attack Terrorists utilized, my bad. Hope they never find out bombs work too. I'm not even going to make an attempt at connecting the flag men at construction sites and dropped cell phones to this thread.
So basically what you're saying is you're spewing and banging the 9/11 drum like Bush does when you have no other recourse or answer eh? Nice.

Public safety indeed.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #29
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Let's examine the facts:

1. Small devices with some sort of electronic components
2. Black wrapped cylindrical item with wires protruding
3. The lights were not on at the time
4. The figure is giving the "finger" and looks "strange"
5. The items were attached to prominant fixtures such as bridges, high visibility buildings (college campus) and in areas were there is a lot of traffic
6. People call in something "Suspicious" so once the police arrive, they would, most likely, report the item and what it looks like and establish a safe perimeter.

If I were to see something that looks like it has wires and something cylindrical and is giving me the finger (like most people do) I'd be very concerned!

I think time, place and circumstance played a huge role in this.

Bob Thomas
Old 01-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #30
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

P.s. did anyone suspect that the shoes the "shoe bomber" was wearing were, in fact, bombs?

Bob Thomas