Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Feel better?

Washington (CNN) -- Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday that terrorists continue to try to harm the United States, but another "massive" terrorist strike like the September 11, 2001, attacks is unlikely.

"The idea of there being a massive attack in the United States like 9/11 is unlikely, in my opinion," Biden said in an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live."

(*note - Spence supported this guy for president due to his international experience)

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Yes.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
spence

Biden: Major terror attack on U.S. unlikely - CNN.com

...that intelligence suggests tactics have shifted towards smaller but dramatic attacks -vs- a grand scale event like 9/11.

This is "lame"?

Please help me understand.

-spence
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Washington (CNN) -- Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday that terrorists continue to try to harm the United States, but another "massive" terrorist strike like the September 11, 2001, attacks is unlikely.

"The idea of there being a massive attack in the United States like 9/11 is unlikely, in my opinion," Biden said in an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live."

(*note - Spence supported this guy for president due to his international experience)
So the man is not entitled to give his opinion? So you disagree and that is fine but lame? As for how big an attack in the future is anybodies guess as we are all armchair quarterbacks who knows what the future holds as the U.S. will always have its enemies from abroad and within.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Joe

Maybe they are hoping to stir chatter or create actionable intelligence and this statement is a feint? Far more likely it's just Joe Biden making a gaff.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Raven

Question

he makes this statement based on what exactly?

a hunch? or What the Pentagon is telling him

i thought he was put in charge of helping out the AMERICAN peoples dilemma's some where....

IT seems like............ he's doing NOTHING
Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Maybe the Dems are preparing themselves since the GOP is already positioning for their typical election-year attacks about how the Dems are soft on terrorists and how we were somehow safer under Bush - which I wholeheartedly disagree with.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
how we were somehow safer under Bush - which I wholeheartedly disagree with.
JD, how did you come to that conclusion?

" Choose Life "
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Far more likely it's just Joe Biden making a gaff.
You're probably right, Joe.
Everyone here probably knows that I'm not a fan of Palin at all, but it seems that her gaffes get a lot more attention than Bidens.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
spence

If it was a gaff wouldn't that mean a big attack was imminent?

-spence
Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If it was a gaff wouldn't that mean a big attack was imminent?

-spence
With Biden, you never know. He may have been referring to the band Massive Attack. They have no plans on being in the US any time soon. So he would actually be correct in that there will be no Massive Attack in the US in the near future.
Massive Attack Tour Dates | Pollstar - The Concert Hotwire

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
buckman

Is Joe still warning everyone to stay off jets and avoid crowded places to keep from catching Swine Flu??????

In the same Larry King interview he stated that one of Obama's great accomplishments will be Iraq......WTF

Joe's a "Meathead"
Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Is Joe still warning everyone to stay off jets and avoid crowded places to keep from catching Swine Flu??????

In the same Larry King interview he stated that one of Obama's great accomplishments will be Iraq......WTF

Joe's a "Meathead"
Yes, and after all the accusations by Biden and Obama, during the Bush years that the Iraq invasion, and the surge were wrong, a failure, a mess, that we should have pulled out, that it destabilized the area and made the world a more dangerous place, that the Iraquis could never come together--on Larry King, Biden says "I am very optimistic about--about Iraq. I mean this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. . . .You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government. . . .I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences."

He has the hutzpah to give the Obama administration the credit for something he and Obama railed against.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Yes, and after all the accusations by Biden and Obama, during the Bush years that the Iraq invasion, and the surge were wrong, a failure, a mess, that we should have pulled out, that it destabilized the area and made the world a more dangerous place, that the Iraquis could never come together--on Larry King, Biden says "I am very optimistic about--about Iraq. I mean this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. . . .You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government. . . .I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences."

He has the hutzpah to give the Obama administration the credit for something he and Obama railed against.
There certainly was a popular line of thought at one time that reconciliation among Iraqi's was impossible. Even today the Kurds have retained a sense of autonomy from the central Iraqi government...

But to remark that Iraq might not end up a total disaster in the end does in no way contradict the assertion that it was a mistake to begin with. Additionally, the cost to US taxpayers and families to keep if from completely destabilizing the region has been quite severe.

That the sitting VP would put a positive spin on a US interest that hasn't fully played out??? OH THE SHAME...

-spence
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
buckman

Quote:
There certainly was a popular line of thought at one time that reconciliation among Iraqi's was impossible. Even today the Kurds have retained a sense of autonomy from the central Iraqi government...

But to remark that Iraq might not end up a total disaster in the end does in no way contradict the assertion that it was a mistake to begin with. Additionally, the cost to US taxpayers and families to keep if from completely destabilizing the region has been quite severe.

That the sitting VP would put a positive spin on a US interest that hasn't fully played out??? OH THE SHAME...

-spence
You are the King of spin Spence.
He said" could be one of the great achievements of this administration. . . .You're going to see a stable government in Iraq"

NOT "might not end up a total disaster"

Where was Obamas, Bidens, Yours or any Bush haters positive spin a year ago?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
You are the King of spin Spence.
He said" could be one of the great achievements of this administration. . . .You're going to see a stable government in Iraq"

NOT "might not end up a total disaster"

Where was Obamas, Bidens, Yours or any Bush haters positive spin a year ago?
So the idea that the Obama Administration could cleanly pull 90,000 US troops from Iraq over a year into the term isn't an accomplishment they can take credit for?

-spence
Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

isnt it funny that I did not voice my opinion but was attacked for having one in the first few posts. It was a simple question.

so my answer? No, I dont feel better, I want the VP of the United States to say some thing like this -

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
I want the VP of the United States to say some thing like this -

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
Didn't some guy named George speak those words? I think he got a reprimanded for some guy in a MASH tent. What was his name General............General Patton?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #19
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You're probably right, Joe.
Everyone here probably knows that I'm not a fan of Palin at all, but it seems that her gaffes get a lot more attention than Bidens.
The far Right's only purpose for Palin is because she gets a lot of PR. Having her do a keynote speech at any event will trigger massive publicity.

Palin is shadowed by controversy due to the reports from the McCain camp after the campaign and because of her public comments. Reporters flock to controversy.

Biden is expected to make gaffs (this doesn't make them acceptable). Where as just about any appearance by Palin gives the news stations hours of commentary - be it by FoxNews and how they agree with her, or CNN for how she's an idiot.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
isnt it funny that I did not voice my opinion but was attacked for having one in the first few posts. It was a simple question.
We read the "lame" remark in your sig as your opinion.

Quote:
so my answer? No, I dont feel better, I want the VP of the United States to say some thing like this -

The point is to lead, not blow smoke up voter's asses. Biden was being honest. Honesty is one of the four pillars of leadership.

-spence
Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
The far Right's only purpose for Palin is because she gets a lot of PR. Having her do a keynote speech at any event will trigger massive publicity.
Yea, cause she's good looking. Were she not we wouldn't know her name, unless we moved to Alaska.

-spence
Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
So the idea that the Obama Administration could cleanly pull 90,000 US troops from Iraq over a year into the term isn't an accomplishment they can take credit for?

-spence
The eventual draw down of troops from Iraq was ALWAYS part of the BUSH policy. What is it about success in Iraq that the Obama administration can take credit for, other than continuing the previous administration's policies?

The chutzpah is in continuing to trash the invasion, long after it was relevant to do so, in order to win back the congress and presidency, then turning around and claiming the previous "debacle" a success of the current administration.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-11-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
The point is to lead, not blow smoke up voter's asses. Biden was being honest. Honesty is one of the four pillars of leadership.

-spence
Biden giving credit for success in Iraq to his administration (and none to Bush) is being honest and not blowing smoke up voter's asses?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
--on Larry King, Biden says "I am very optimistic about--about Iraq. I mean this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. . . .You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government. . . .I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences."

Ya chutzpah for sure, wasn't it Obama and Biden that voted against the surge that ended up turning things around, and wasn't it Biden who wanted to split Iraq in 3 parts and now saying there is a good chance it is becoming a young Democracy?

" Choose Life "
Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Ya chutzpah for sure, wasn't it Obama and Biden that voted against the surge that ended up turning things around, and wasn't it Biden who wanted to split Iraq in 3 parts and now saying there is a good chance it is becoming a young Democracy?
For sure--among MANY criticisms that they launched. There was such a negative drumbeat against the war that they helped to turn public opinion against it, calling it a Vietnam, and emboldening the enemy to hope that we would treat it as such and withdraw. Instead, Bush refused to let that happen, and we now have an ally in the place of a former enemy. And Biden now claims it as a success of his administration!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
buckman

I have to believe Biden is locked in his room right now.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
Fly Rod

The time frame for leaving Iraq that biden is trying to give credit to the Obama administration was already hammered out in the Bush administration, no need to argue about it.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
TommyTuna

Quote:

-spence
I guess that the fact the Status of Forces agreement to drawn down the troops in 2010 signed under Bush had nothing to do with it..fact wise that is.

Oh yes and Spence; Patrick Kennedy is not running for re-election, you should run for the seat, RI needs you, really needs you.

TT

Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
We read the "lame" remark in your sig as your opinion.

-spence
HONEST??? He is being stupid. Its that mentality that allowed for 9/11. Anything is possible and we need to be prepared. I know......Im a fear monger.

And PR BUZZ - That was a quote from Winston Churchill, not Patton

Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #30
spence

Quote:
HONEST??? He is being stupid. Its that mentality that allowed for 9/11. Anything is possible and we need to be prepared. I know......Im a fear monger.
So Biden makes a comment that he thinks a small but dramatic attack is more likely than a large scale plot...and you...

Let's get this straight...

Interpret this as the Obama administration completely ignoring the possibility of another 9/11 scale attack?

And to cap it off you parrot some cheap election year rhetoric?

Talk about lame, that's just n#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g futz.

Quote:
And PR BUZZ - That was a quote from Winston Churchill, not Patton
Sounds like a more sophisticated version of Palin's "we win, they loose" approach to foreign policy

-spence