Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Piscator

Just about every place in the country is beautiful and has its special places. You just have to make the best of where you live and take advantage of what it has to offer. I've been all over (mostly traveling for work) and lived in a few places outside of Mass. There is give and take everywhere you go. I love the old school look and feel of New England and being able to go to the mountains and to the sea within a few hours drive is great. You can get that in other places in the country too. I love a great snow storm, the autumn air and spring time in New England as well. Other people hate snow and cold. The seasons are great and yea, the cold does suck once in a while.

To each each his own. What one loves and cherishes about a place, the other guy hates.....

It all personal opinion and taste. Nobody is right or wrong.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
Piscator

Wait isn't this threat about AIG suing the people if the United States?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #33
fishbones

I'm trying to figure out why RIJIMMY moved to Texas if Tennessee is the greatest place in the world to live.

And Jim, you've been to El Mariachi. It may not be the best, but it's no Taco Bell either. Point is, I like it. I've been to Mexico and had authentic Mexican food at several places. It was good, but not better than the local place. And next time you're in the area, I'll take you to a Thai restaurant that I can assure you is better than what you'll find in TN or TX.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
Sea Dangles

Which Thai?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #35
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Which Thai?
2X?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #36
fishbones

Quote:
Which Thai?
Place in Randolph. Malai.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I'm trying to figure out why RIJIMMY moved to Texas if Tennessee is the greatest place in the world to live.

And Jim, you've been to El Mariachi. It may not be the best, but it's no Taco Bell either. Point is, I like it. I've been to Mexico and had authentic Mexican food at several places. It was good, but not better than the local place. And next time you're in the area, I'll take you to a Thai restaurant that I can assure you is better than what you'll find in TN or TX.
Dangles said he'd rather chew tin foil than live in TN. Seems a narrow minded, eltist northerner comment. I gave dangles the benefit of the doubt and allowed him to explain himslef. I dont know the first thing about TN. But I doubt its awful. If it is, its no more afwul than some of the places in NE. I wont debate food with you, I lived in San francisco which is the food capital of the US and as you know my wife is asian so I've been to a hell of alot of Thai places and most every other asian type of food. Living in CA and now TX, I really cant have a discussion on mexican food. you cant even compare. You watch the food network and when every other mexican place is in CA or TX an we have significant populations of mexicans, well, I may be crazy but Easton is not on the map. Panda Express is good chinese food to most americans.

To Dangles - all those things you listed are fine, but whats missing? Oh, I know. Unless you are Thurston Howell the III, everything you mentioned is LEISURE. How about the real world? WHats your commute like? If your wife works, whats her commute? Has your business or company grown? You mentioned the great cities of Boston, Providence and Newport - how are those cities faring? Are those cities in good economic shape? Are their jobs? How is Easton faring? Growing? Taxes going up? Schools - new and best technology or aging? Is your town looking better in the last 5 years or showing signs of decline? Hows your paycheck? What do you pay in state taxes? Do you have a say where that money goes? Whats the tuition for instate schools? Is it higher or lower than other states.
Leisure activities are opinions and I agree on the vast recreational activites in NE, however many states have them, but economic facts, are facts. Thats what Jim in Ct and I are trying to bring forward. I dont a thing about TN, but I know what I see in TX and you cannot even compare. Its like new england is 1978 and we're in 2012. its drastic.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
fishbones

Jim, clearly I'm not enough of a foodie to know good cuisine, but, I do seek out places that are different than the normal run of the mill chain restaurants. Last night I went to the Red Fez in Providence. Very eclectic menu and the food was excellent. You wouldn't even notice the place if you drove by it, and it's probably not listed in any of your food guides. There's also a Mexican place right down the street from my office, and it's really good. You won't believe it, but it's owned and operated by actual Mexicans! I know, you probably didn't realize that there are Mexicans anywhere else in the US besides Texas. It's crazy, I know. Authentic Mexican food in New England, who woulda thunk? And you know how I know it's authentic? Because when I go in there, I'm usually the only caucasian and they have to give me a different menu printed in English. And you know what else? There are Thai people in other places besides Thailand and San Francisco. You probably won't believe me but the place in Randolph is really, really good. And have you ever been to Chinatown in Boston? There are some pretty good (authentic) Chinese restaurants there. I'm curious how many great Chinese restaurants there are in your town?
And as far as Easton going down hill, I wouldn't say that. We actually have a budget surplus and property taxes have have pretty much stayed the same. Easton is also consistently ranked as one of the best places in the US to live based on schools, proximity to culture and safety, among other things. Sure, it's not utopia and I wish I paid less in taxes, but it's a great community with plenty to do close by. I guess everyone has their things that are important to them when deciding where to live. For me, it's about being near my family first, then being in a good place to raise a family, then being near the ocean. And I think you know me well enough to know that I'm no elitist.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #39
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
It's crazy, I know. Authentic Mexican food in New England, who woulda thunk? And you know how I know it's authentic? Because when I go in there, I'm usually the only caucasian and they have to give me a different menu printed in English. And you know what else? There are Thai people in other places besides Thailand and San Francisco. You probably won't believe me but the place in Randolph is really, really good. And have you ever been to Chinatown in Boston? t.
I've been to Chinatown in Boston once a month for 11 yrs. My wife shops there. And thai and mexican restaurants in your area cater to Americans, not to thai and mexican people. Its fine food but wont make any top 10 outside of MA. Its a silly argument that Massacusetts mexican food is equivalent to TX and CA. Its plain crazy John. In my town alone there are over 15 different mexican restaunts, 15! The mission district in CA is world renowned and basically invented the incarnation of the burrito. I wont argue that TX and CA have good clam chowder, portugese food or even seafood in general. As far as Chinese or asian food in my area, Crazy, but there is a massive asian population in the DFW areas, There are asian stores the size of home depot, Im not exaggerating. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese. Its Boston chinatown X 5. And its all awesome. My wife is an asian food fanatic, I cant tell you shes eaten every restaurant I can tell you she has no regrets living here and she is able to get more of her type of food here than in MA and that includes chinatown

look at the link and then the addl places on the right column, we searched for places like this in MA or even NE and nothing is close. There is an Hmart in burlington but it doenst comare. This place is a 15 minute ride and plenty of parking. There are tons of asian markets and restaurants here, tons!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-h-mart-carrollton

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 01-11-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
fishbones

I know, Jim. I have no sense of what food is good and what isn't. Having been in the restaurant industry my entire working life and having gone to every big food expo in the Boston area for the last 12 years doesn't mean anything because I live in an area that only has good seafood and Portuguese food. But even though I have no taste, I find it hard to believe that there is not one good Mexican restaurant or Thai restaurant within 30 miles of my house. I guess since you've evidently tried them all, you can say that. I'll go next door and tell the Mexicans to close up shop and go to work at Taco Bell because their food isn't up to the standards of Mexican food in CA or TX.

BTW, my wife is Jewish so I can tell you if a brisket is good or if corn beef is edible.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
fishbones

I don't know much about Asian markets, but my sister in Quincy goes to the Kan Man market for certain things. My nephew likes the seafood in the tanks there.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Place in Randolph. Malai.
Siam Lotus Norwood is pretty good to. I know the owners
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #43
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Siam Lotus Norwood is pretty good to. I know the owners
Yeah, I haven't been there in a couple years but I've never had a bad meal there.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #44
buckman

Did you guys hear AIG is suing the US govornment ??
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #45
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I I find it hard to believe that there is not one good Mexican restaurant or Thai restaurant within 30 miles of my house. I guess since you've evidently tried them all, you can say that. I'll go next door and tell the Mexicans to close up shop and go to work at Taco Bell because their food isn't up to the standards of Mexican food in CA or TX.

right, my favorite is the MaMex food, its great. In fact its spread all over the country! MaMex food is available almost anywhere. Chilis is considered MaMex and most fast food may be too. Most ma-mex food has been dumbed down for the masses but in Ma you can get authentic ma-max. The roots are due to the vast cultural history of how massachusetts and mexican food has combined over hundreds of years to form "mamex". There is San Antiono, El Paso, and Easton-io
Oh wait, thats Tex-Mex! sorry. Nah, who would have thought that the state that gave rise to an entire strain of mexican cooking would have good mexican food? I bet Massachusetts has great chili and barbeque too!

this place was walking distance from my apt. I ate in the mission 3 times per week. its no Chipolte or QDoba, but we managed! Let me know when you see some marichi bands walking around Easton and then maybe we'll have a real dialog.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #46
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Dangles said he'd rather chew tin foil than live in TN. Seems a narrow minded, eltist northerner comment. I gave dangles the benefit of the doubt and allowed him to explain himslef. I dont know the first thing about TN. But I doubt its awful. If it is, its no more afwul than some of the places in NE. I wont debate food with you, I lived in San francisco which is the food capital of the US and as you know my wife is asian so I've been to a hell of alot of Thai places and most every other asian type of food. Living in CA and now TX, I really cant have a discussion on mexican food. you cant even compare. You watch the food network and when every other mexican place is in CA or TX an we have significant populations of mexicans, well, I may be crazy but Easton is not on the map. Panda Express is good chinese food to most americans.

To Dangles - all those things you listed are fine, but whats missing? Oh, I know. Unless you are Thurston Howell the III, everything you mentioned is LEISURE. How about the real world? WHats your commute like? If your wife works, whats her commute? Has your business or company grown? You mentioned the great cities of Boston, Providence and Newport - how are those cities faring? Are those cities in good economic shape? Are their jobs? How is Easton faring? Growing? Taxes going up? Schools - new and best technology or aging? Is your town looking better in the last 5 years or showing signs of decline? Hows your paycheck? What do you pay in state taxes? Do you have a say where that money goes? Whats the tuition for instate schools? Is it higher or lower than other states.
Leisure activities are opinions and I agree on the vast recreational activites in NE, however many states have them, but economic facts, are facts. Thats what Jim in Ct and I are trying to bring forward. I dont a thing about TN, but I know what I see in TX and you cannot even compare. Its like new england is 1978 and we're in 2012. its drastic.
First of all Jimmy,I am glad you are happy with your move and you have decided it worked out for you in spite of your family missing out on their best interest.I did answer your original question but you decided my response did not suit your dollar driven agenda so you introduced a superfluous subject as a subclause.I really don't care about your family's financial status other than I hope it is stable. I don't exactly consider our current path as bleak to the point I will abandon ship at this point, despite the fact you are convinced the sky is falling.BTW,I just put 2 butts on the smoker for the game tomorrow with a full brisket to follow,so I have some redneck in me.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #47
fishbones

You're turning into Spence now, Jim. You claim that there is not one good Mexican or Thai restaurant in MA, and I think you're wrong. Is it possible that there are some real Mexican and Thai people living in MA who may own and operate restaurants? I guess if they relocated here, they automatically lose their ability to make authentic food that tastes good. And although I'm nowhere near your level when it comes to judging what food is good and what isn't, I'm pretty sure I know the difference between TexMex and Mexican. In fact, I may go to Chili's tonight before taking Jason to his soccer game. I'm surprised you ever left San Fran. It seems that you miss it quite a bit and have a lot of fond memories. Oh, and if you re-read some of your posts in this thread, you'll notice that you're coming off as an elitist, much like many of those northern Californians you miss so much.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Did you guys hear AIG is suing the US govornment ??
Maybe they think AIG stands for Arguments In Gourmet.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
First of all Jimmy,I am glad you are happy with your move and you have decided it worked out for you in spite of your family missing out on their best interest.I did answer your original question but you decided my response did not suit your dollar driven agenda so you introduced a superfluous subject as a subclause.I really don't care about your family's financial status other than I hope it is stable. I don't exactly consider our current path as bleak to the point I will abandon ship at this point, despite the fact you are convinced the sky is falling.BTW,I just put 2 butts on the smoker for the game tomorrow with a full brisket to follow,so I have some redneck in me.
dollar driven agenda? That was the whole point of Jim in CT post on living in TN! Sorry, finances matter. Schools matter. Business climate matters. Community infrastructure matters. Those things are moving up for the southwest and down for the northeast. Facts, not opinions. You said you wouldnt move to TN under any circumstnaces. I would move to the best place for my family and their future. If I have to give up trips to the Vineyard for lunch, so be it. I also have a successful career that allows me to live a privledged life. My kids wont be applying for financial aid, I'll see to that and I need to plan for that. Dangles while your shivering on the ice fishing fishing Norton Reservoir this weekend I'll be on a lake in 60 degree weather fishing with my son for stripers, looking at golden and bald eagles and I'll explain to him all he is missing out on despite his "best interests" as you say. Nevermind the brand new school he goes to and its exemplarly rating by the nationwide rating system. i dont know how the poor guy survives. We were shooting hoop last night at 8pm, it was 62. Times are tough.

Fishbones - dont know how we got off on this but, whatever. You seem to disregard the concept of "regional cuisine". There are great Italian restaurants in the North End, but if you want the real deal you go to Tuscany. CA and TX are the real deal when it comes to mexican food. I really didnt think that was a topic for debate. There are fine restaurants in MA. But I believe regional cuisines are typically the best and CA and TX are known for their regional mexican food. By known I mean, books, shows, chefs, etc. TX was one part of Mexico. As far as an elitist. I probabaly am. I've done a lot of things in my 43 yrs, seen this counrty in a car 4X. Lived in CT, NY, MA, RI,CA, and now TX. My ex girlfriend I moved to CA with was the maitre d at the number 2 resaurant in the country in San Francisco. I had an in at all the best restaurants. My wife is chinese, raised in India. You want to talk asian or indian food, I sleep with a woman every night who lives for it. I aint makin this up. Does it make me better, no. More experienced? I believe so. Im sorry if that offends everyone. When Back Beach or Piemma talk fishing, i listen. I value their experience. I know my she-at when it comes to some topics - music, food, US travel. I dont know a f-in thing about politics and thats why I argue out here, to learn

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 01-11-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #50
Sea Dangles

Check the forecast Jim because with the miracle of global warming we will be looking at close to 60 also. But don't feel bad for us because the local hills have enough snow so that my son still had his races for the ski team last night.Oh, and a little game to go to this weekend in Foxboro.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #51
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=Sea Dangles;979233]Check the forecast Jim because with the miracle of global warming we will be looking at close to 60 QUOTE]

then you'd better be careful on that ice!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #52
fishbones

Quote:
Fishbones - dont know how we got off on this but, whatever. You seem to disregard the concept of "regional cuisine". There are great Italian restaurants in the North End, but if you want the real deal you go to Tuscany. CA and TX are the real deal when it comes to mexican food. I really didnt think that was a topic for debate. There are fine restaurants in MA. But I believe regional cuisines are typically the best and CA and TX are known for their regional mexican food. By known I mean, books, shows, chefs, etc. TX was one part of Mexico. As far as an elitist. I probabaly am. I've done a lot of things in my 43 yrs, seen this counrty in a car 4X. Lived in CT, NY, MA, RI,CA, and now TX. My ex girlfriend I moved to CA with was the maitre d at the number 2 resaurant in the country in San Francisco. I had an in at all the best restaurants. My wife is chinese, raised in India. You want to talk asian or indian food, I sleep with a woman every night who lives for it. I aint makin this up. Does it make me better, no. More experienced? I believe so. Im sorry if that offends everyone. When Back Beach or Piemma talk fishing, i listen. I value their experience. I know my she-at when it comes to some topics - music, food, US travel. I dont know a f-in thing about politics and thats why I argue out here, to learn
Jim, I think you realize that I'm just pointing out that even though our regional cuisine may not be the best in certain styles, there are still very good restaurants in just about all styles in this area. I look for hidden gems, like the place I went last night and usually enjoy them. I also go to many of the casual chains that you find everywhere. If I go out for Thai food once every month or two and have a really good place to go, I'm happy. If I want Mexican once a month, there are a couple places I can go to that I'm sure you'd be surprised at how good they are. I can find an excellent restaurant for just about any type of cuisine within a short drive from my house.
I take the good with the bad. There are things I hate about New England, and there are things that I love about it. I'm a big sports fan and we 4 competitive professional teams. I'm close to the ocean for fishing and I wouldn't give that up. I just can't get into the freshwater fishing scene. We have excellent schools in my town, along with parents who are very active in the school and youth sports. I live close to my parents and 2 of my 3 sisters, and that's probably the most important thing for me. Luckily, I'm in a situation where the cost of living isn't killing me, and I can live in relative comfort. If I was forced to move to better my situation for my family, I'd do it. It's funny, though. My dad lived in Sausalito for years and liked it, but was happy to move back here. My sister moved to Alpharetta, GA and loves the town, but wanted to move back here. Unfortunately, because she has MS it's better for her to live in a warmer climate.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #53
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Jim, I think you realize that I'm just pointing out that even though our regional cuisine may not be the best in certain styles, there are still very good restaurants in just about all styles in this area. I look for hidden gems, like the place I went last night and usually enjoy them. I also go to many of the casual chains that you find everywhere. If I go out for Thai food once every month or two and have a really good place to go, I'm happy. If I want Mexican once a month, there are a couple places I can go to that I'm sure you'd be surprised at how good they are. I can find an excellent restaurant for just about any type of cuisine within a short drive from my house.
I take the good with the bad. There are things I hate about New England, and there are things that I love about it. I'm a big sports fan and we 4 competitive professional teams. I'm close to the ocean for fishing and I wouldn't give that up. I just can't get into the freshwater fishing scene. We have excellent schools in my town, along with parents who are very active in the school and youth sports. I live close to my parents and 2 of my 3 sisters, and that's probably the most important thing for me. Luckily, I'm in a situation where the cost of living isn't killing me, and I can live in relative comfort. If I was forced to move to better my situation for my family, I'd do it. It's funny, though. My dad lived in Sausalito for years and liked it, but was happy to move back here. My sister moved to Alpharetta, GA and loves the town, but wanted to move back here. Unfortunately, because she has MS it's better for her to live in a warmer climate.
I can relate. I lived in SF and wanted to move (back) there too and I did. I could have moved anywhere. I have nothing against the east coast. I have something against ignorance towards the rest of this country which seems predominatlty from NE or least on this board. Here is an interesting thing that drives my wife nuts. In CA or SF, no one was from there, they all moved there. In TX, no one is from here, they all moved here. In MA, everyone was from MA! No one moved there from another part of the country. You wind up with people having a smaller view of the world. No everyone, but generally. People in other parts of the country are more travelled. The party at my house on NYE had people from Colorado, Florida, Pennslyvania and Georgia. Interesting discussion and interesting places. My neighbor was an f-16 pilot, big deal in stealth technology development. Last year my party had people from MA, most intersting friend was probably my buddy the IT desktoo support guy.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
Sea Dangles

No matter where you live it is all what you make of it. Just listening to Jimmy go ad nauseum about how interesting his new neighbors are compared to his old neighbors makes me chuckle;he seems like he moved next to Mr.DosEquis. Nice little melting pot you have there in the lone star state.I have a feeling the suite will be around 68 at gametime...tshirt weather.!!!I will continue to make the best of what we have and leave you to chase rainbows.

BTW, the food is great in SF just like anywhere else you pay top dollar,and I have never met anybody who cares about Indian food that smells like a convenience store filled with curry or an old dog.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
BTW, the food is great in SF just like anywhere else you pay top dollar,and I have never met anybody who cares about Indian food that smells like a convenience store filled with curry or an old dog.
ignorant comment. so cheap to eat in SF. I was 24 making pennies and ate out every day. Burritos the size of a football are like $6 now ($4 when I lived there). Burmese, Thai, Chinese, Hakanese, etc amazing meals for less that McDonalds. Indian food rules and was dirt cheap too.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #56
Sea Dangles

Quote:
ignorant comment. so cheap to eat in SF. I was 24 making pennies and ate out every day. Burritos the size of a football are like $6 now ($4 when I lived there). Burmese, Thai, Chinese, Hakanese, etc amazing meals for less that McDonalds. Indian food rules and was dirt cheap too.
I ate where concierge recommended in Chinatown which was walking distance from the Ritz, and also at some markets on the water while the wife was in class.You are probably too worldly to eat where the tourists go. Give me cat #^&#^&#^&#^& covered with litter before you offer Indian food.You know what Jimmy? You come off like a kid in a candy store...43 years old and seen it all... you go get them tiger,seems like you have seen it all and have nothing left to learn besides your neighbors occupation.What is McDonalds?Please stop trying to validate yourself to me, I honesly don't care.Enjoy your rainbows and go haunt another house.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #57
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I ate where concierge recommended in Chinatown which was walking distance from the Ritz, and also at some markets on the water while the wife was in class.You are probably too worldly to eat where the tourists go. Give me cat #^&#^&#^&#^& covered with litter before you offer Indian food.You know what Jimmy? You come off like a kid in a candy store...43 years old and seen it all... you go get them tiger,seems like you have seen it all and have nothing left to learn besides your neighbors occupation.What is McDonalds?Please stop trying to validate yourself to me, I honesly don't care.Enjoy your rainbows and go haunt another house.
you're weird.
SF is full of neighborhoods which tourists rarely go to. you cant compare visiting vs living there. I have plenty to learn which is why I like moving around. too many new things to see and do. And calling me a kid in a candy store is the best compliment you can give me, i hope I never lose my enthusiasm and outlook. A rolling stone gathers no moss.