Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Seventy percent say

Darwin is coming for the Trumplicans

Seventy percent of Americans say the country is moving in the "wrong direction," the highest level since September 2017, according to a poll released Tuesday.

The AP-NORC survey, conducted during the record-long 35-day partial government shutdown, found that only 28 percent said the United States is on the right course.

The "wrong direction" share of respondents is up from 59 percent in December and is the highest since 74 percent in the month after the August 2017 deadly protests in Charlottesville, Va.

A majority of respondents, 52 percent, said in the most recent poll that they expect conditions to worsen in 2019, with 22 percent saying they see improvement on the horizon.

Republicans were more optimistic than Democrats -- 55 percent of GOP respondents said the country heading in the right direction, a view shared by 9 percent of Democrats.

Most people disapproved of President Trump’s handling of all 10 issues they were presented. The president's handling of climate change prompted the worst results among the 10 areas, with 68 percent disapproving.

Researchers surveyed 1,062 Americans from Jan. 16-20. The poll’s margin of error is 4.1 percentage points.

The government shutdown, which began on Dec. 22, ended on Jan. 25.

http://apnorc.org/projects/Pages/Are...Direction.aspx

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
scottw

Researchers surveyed 1,062 out of 330 million Americans from Jan. 16-20.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Researchers surveyed 1,062 out of 330 million Americans from Jan. 16-20.

.....during the Shutdown

probably polled everyone standing in line at the soup kitchen

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
.....during the Shutdown

probably polled everyone standing in line at the soup kitchen
i thought the Koch brothers stole
all the soup from the soup kitchens?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

And the Koch brothers might even support one of these guys thinking of taking on Trump.

Now, that's not to say there isn't real value for a Hogan or a Kasich to run -- even if their chances of victory are, um, not high. The danger for non-Trump Republicans is that the President destroys any semblance of what the party used to be before he became its leader. That when Trump leaves office -- whether in 2021 or 2025 -- there is no GOP outside of Trump.
Hogan, Kasich, and according to the Post-ABC poll, a decent number of other Republicans don't share Trump's view of the party or the country. And they have a vested interest in making sure that there is some Republican Party that has stood apart from Trump, so that when Trump is gone they can go to the public and say, "See, we all weren't -- and aren't -- like this!"
Running against Trump -- even in a likely quixotic primary -- could well preserve the idea of Republicanism apart from Trump for whenever Trump leaves office. And for whoever does decide to take up that anti-Trump mantle, he (or she) will likely be the first among equals in the presidential primary fight that follows Trump's departure from office.
The Point: Running isn't always only about winning. While winning a primary against Trump is possible, according to the Post-ABC poll, it's not likely. But that doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

The Point: Running isn't always only about winning. While winning a primary against Trump is possible, according to the Post-ABC poll, it's not likely. But that doesn't mean it's not worth doing.
this is stupid
Old 01-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
wdmso

now surveys are like the old job numbers they are only real when they work for Trump and his Faithful
Old 01-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
And the Koch brothers might even support one of these guys thinking of taking on Trump.

Now, that's not to say there isn't real value for a Hogan or a Kasich to run -- even if their chances of victory are, um, not high. The danger for non-Trump Republicans is that the President destroys any semblance of what the party used to be before he became its leader. That when Trump leaves office -- whether in 2021 or 2025 -- there is no GOP outside of Trump.
Hogan, Kasich, and according to the Post-ABC poll, a decent number of other Republicans don't share Trump's view of the party or the country. And they have a vested interest in making sure that there is some Republican Party that has stood apart from Trump, so that when Trump is gone they can go to the public and say, "See, we all weren't -- and aren't -- like this!"
Running against Trump -- even in a likely quixotic primary -- could well preserve the idea of Republicanism apart from Trump for whenever Trump leaves office. And for whoever does decide to take up that anti-Trump mantle, he (or she) will likely be the first among equals in the presidential primary fight that follows Trump's departure from office.
why would there be nonthing to the gop besides trump? was obama
all there was to the democrats? you keep saying trump is going to destroy the gop, there’s a great chance the gop
will lose fewer seats under trump
nationwide, than the dems list under obama. the dems got o literates all over the map from 2009-3016. the gop got thumped in 2018, but not
anything like the dems got
slammed in 2018. this could
change in 2020. but no teal basis for your speculation.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Every republican in Congress is afraid of getting primaried or they were till he lost the midterms and then the wall
He’s the biggest wimp just ask AHC
He has no idea how to grow his base and consistently alienates people.
Now as a Trumplican of course you will claim he’s winning, because he said so.
Meanwhile his National Security Team says he’s full of #^&#^&#^&#^& and has no clue what he’s doing
Old 01-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
Meanwhile his National Security Team says he’s full of #^&#^&#^&#^& and has no clue what he’s doing
and you've been saying this for months and months...you should be happy they are finally catching up with you
Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Meanwhile American patriots say while the Generalissimo Donnie Bonespur the First denies what any rational human would deduce
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...48895382584512
Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Sea Dangles

Thanks for exposing that PeteF. I know this is helping you.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Thanks for exposing that PeteF. I know this is helping you.
Well it’s not helping us, that the Generalissimo denies interference by countries that are not our allies
Look at the positions on Venezuela

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

Look, you uncovered more evidence!!!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
now surveys are like the old job numbers they are only real when they work for Trump and his Faithful
Because reports from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, based on actual nation wide data, and a random survey of .0003% (1062 of 330,000,000) of the population are the same thing.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Oh, I think the GOP could be in deep, deep trouble in 2020. But it doesn't mean the end of the GOP, and it probably won't be as bad (across the map) as the annihilation the GOP suffered in 2008.

The GOP was in a terrible, terrible place in 2008, but made a stunning comeback. The democrats were in a worse place in 2016, made a good comeback in 2018. The pendulum swings in both directions.

Also, every single survey in 2016 had Hilary winning big. So forgive us for being skeptical.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
Cool Beans

Quote:
Darwin is coming for the Trumplicans

Seventy percent of Americans say the country is moving in the "wrong direction," the highest level since September 2017, according to a poll released Tuesday.

The AP-NORC survey, conducted during the record-long 35-day partial government shutdown, found that only 28 percent said the United States is on the right course.

The "wrong direction" share of respondents is up from 59 percent in December and is the highest since 74 percent in the month after the August 2017 deadly protests in Charlottesville, Va.

A majority of respondents, 52 percent, said in the most recent poll that they expect conditions to worsen in 2019, with 22 percent saying they see improvement on the horizon.

Republicans were more optimistic than Democrats -- 55 percent of GOP respondents said the country heading in the right direction, a view shared by 9 percent of Democrats.

Most people disapproved of President Trump’s handling of all 10 issues they were presented. The president's handling of climate change prompted the worst results among the 10 areas, with 68 percent disapproving.

Researchers surveyed 1,062 Americans from Jan. 16-20. The poll’s margin of error is 4.1 percentage points.

The government shutdown, which began on Dec. 22, ended on Jan. 25.

http://apnorc.org/projects/Pages/Are...Direction.aspx

Is this from the same group of Pollsters that stated 90% of America supported Hillary and predicted a 95% chance of her winning the erection? ... LOL oops I meant election.... not even these idiot polling companies would predict Hillary winning an erection...(maybe getting one however) HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Former Speaker of the House John Boehner said he thinks Donald Trump has “done the right things,” except when it came to listening to the “knucklehead caucus” during the partial government shutdown.

“It should be clear to you that Donald Trump has a different style than I do,” Boehner said while speaking to a Republican club on Marco Island, Florida, on Monday night. “I always thought you caught more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.”

Boehner, who served as Speaker under a Republican-led House from 2011 to 2015, went on to add that President Trump “in my view, by and large, has done the right things.”

But according to the Naples Daily News, the former congressman couldn’t “help but laugh” about how the partial government shutdown unfolded. The shutdown over border security ended last week when Trump signed a continuing resolution to keep the government open through February 15. The deal did not include any funds for his wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

Boehner said he blamed “talk radio people” and “goofballs on the right” for criticizing the president when he appeared to come close to agreeing on a spending bill with Republican leaders shortly before the shutdown began.

“The knuckleheads in Congress that listen to these guys start blowing in the president’s ear,” Boehner said. “All of a sudden, the president calls Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy and says, ‘I want $5 billion or nothing.’”

Boehner went on to say that when he was serving as speaker, “the last place I looked was talk radio.” The second to last place he looked was “the knucklehead caucus, who don’t know how to vote yes on anything. They did the president a total disservice.”

Former Speaker of the House John Boehner, who left Congress in 2015, said that he thinks President Donald Trump has done the “right things” except for listening to the “knucklehead caucus” over the government shutdown.

Trump has remained defiant as he faces criticism from the right for reopening the government with no deal on border security. As Congress continues to work toward a federal spending deal, Trump has said that if he does not receive $5 billion in border wall funding, he will shutdown the government again.

“Only fools, or people with a political agenda, don’t want a Wall or Steel Barrier to protect our Country from Crime, Drugs and Human Trafficking. It will happen - it always does!” Trump tweeted last week.

Boehner said on Monday that he once advised Trump to stop talking about the wall and instead focus his message on securing the borders.

“Your people will hear build the wall, but to the rest of America, they’ll hear let’s secure our borders, which we need to do,” he said. “We’ve never taken this seriously.”

Lets Go Darwin