Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The problem with this country

And that is: there are two kinds off people, those that work for a living, and those that vote for a living. And those that work for a living are outnumbered.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

So now that you've retired, you're just a voter?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
zimmy

Maybe the problem is that some people try to take a country of 300 million and narrow it down to two types

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Raven

never again

Last edited by Raven; 03-31-2012 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: forget it
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
a little off subject -not meaning to Hijack
but can ya Still register to vote or is it past the DEAD line?
Raven, no offense, but I hope you mean switch parties.....

Rule 1 of the Political forum, is you can't come in and bitch about politics if you aren't registered/an active voter!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Raven

done

Last edited by Raven; 03-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: hostility
Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Maybe the problem is that some people try to take a country of 300 million and narrow it down to two types

I COULD ONLY BAIT ONE PERSON WITH THIS POST, GEEZ, I AM LOSING MY TOUCH.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 03-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
So now that you've retired, you're just a voter?

Retired from the old job, laid off from the new job.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I COULD ONLY BAIT ONE PERSON WITH THIS POST, GEEZ, I AM LOSING MY TOUCH.
I am kind of like a dogfish. I fall for rotting, soggy, week old bunker or shiny new jigs. Looks like everyone else is in the RM Smith crowd.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
you didn't answer the question

you just talked around it.....
That's what radicals on both sides do,talk around questions.I hope you didn't expect a yes/no answer from someone who actually admitted to voting for Lincoln Chafee.

As far as your question goes you are obviously SOL for the primary as its already passed but yes you can still register to vote for the general election.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

BW:
If you actually ask anyone who has met me 'in real life' they can tell you 1. I am not radical. I viewed, and still view Linc as the least 'radical' of the 3 choices we had.
2. I have a huge pet peeve of people bitching about politics who don't vote, and 3. It wasn't talking around his question. Raven is savvy enough to google his town and voter deadlines. give me a break.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
Raven

Basswipe thankyou for the Answer...
although
one downfall is that soon afterwards
you are receiving a jury duty request

and if you despise (loath) courtroom's entirely
it becomes a problem
but that's a whole other subject
case closed
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Are you referring to Obama? You know, the guy talking about the poor versus the wealthy? You know, the guy making this "us" versus "them"? It's politicaly shrewd, and morally bankrupt.

The OP is dead-on. The biggest threat to our nation at this very moment is not Al Queda, it's financial apocalypse thanks to entitlement programs. Social Security and Medicare are in the red by north of 50 trillion dollars, and a generation of politicians has been to afraid of upsetting the Baby Boomers to do anything about it. As a result, the subsequent 4 or 5 generations (starting with mine, generation X) will get stuck with the check, thanks to promises made, and mistakes made, before I was born.

50 trillion. Add to that our current debt of 16 trillion. 66 trillion (and that's a very optimistic estimate) is a massive number for a country of 300 million. Do the math...

Cities and states are all in the same boat, thanks to gutless politicians giving blank checks to public labor unions.

Gimme, gimme, gimme...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Mr. Sandman

Only two kinds of people: those that pay and those that get for free

The folks who are getting the free stuff don't like the folks who are paying for the free stuff, because the folks who are paying for the free stuff can no longer afford to pay for both the free stuff and their own stuff.

And, the folks who are paying for the free stuff want the free stuff to stop.

And the folks who are getting the free stuff want even more free stuff on top of the free stuff they are already getting!

Now... the people who are forcing the people who pay for the free stuff have told the people who are RECEIVING the free stuff that the people who are PAYING for the free stuff are being mean, prejudiced, and racist.

So... the people who are GETTING the free stuff have been convinced they need to hate the people who are paying for the free stuff by the people who are forcing some people to pay for their free stuff and giving them the free stuff in the first place.

We have let the free stuff giving go on for so long that there are now more people getting free stuff than paying for the free stuff.

Now understand this. All great democracies have committed financial suicide somewhere between 200 and 250 years after being founded. The reason?

The voters figured out they could vote themselves money from the treasury by electing people who promised to give them money from the treasury in exchange for electing them.

The United States officially became a Republic in 1776, 231 years ago. The number of people now getting free stuff outnumbers the people paying for the free stuff. We have one chance to change that in 2012. Failure to change that spells the end of the United States as we know it. Yeah...I am gonna vote.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post

The folks who are getting the free stuff don't like the folks who are paying for the free stuff, because the folks who are paying for the free stuff can no longer afford to pay for both the free stuff and their own stuff.

And the folks who are getting the free stuff want even more free stuff on top of the free stuff they are already getting!

Now... the people who are forcing the people who pay for the free stuff have told the people who are RECEIVING the free stuff that the people who are PAYING for the free stuff are being mean, prejudiced, and racist.

So... the people who are GETTING the free stuff have been convinced they need to hate the people who are paying for the free stuff by the people who are forcing some people to pay for their free stuff and giving them the free stuff in the first place.

We have let the free stuff giving go on for so long that there are now more people getting free stuff than paying for the free stuff.

Now understand this. All great democracies have committed financial suicide somewhere between 200 and 250 years after being founded. The reason?

The voters figured out they could vote themselves money from the treasury by electing people who promised to give them money from the treasury in exchange for electing them.

The United States officially became a Republic in 1776, 231 years ago. The number of people now getting free stuff outnumbers the people paying for the free stuff. We have one chance to change that in 2012. Failure to change that spells the end of the United States as we know it. Yeah...I am gonna vote.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
And that is: there are two kinds off people, those that work for a living, and those that vote for a living. And those that work for a living are outnumbered.
I agree (to some degree). Look at the states that get more back in revenue per dollar paid in taxes.

My back is hurting from carrying those states.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
You know what the real problem is?

People who spam retarded e-mail forwards.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
zimmy

Quote:

copy/paste or your own writing?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Piscator

Quote:
copy/paste or your own writing?
Does it matter? I think it's the point that matters...........

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

No, they are not my own words, I echo these thoughts though...it was sent to me and I thought it would fit in a couple threads here nicely so I posted it. sorry if I mislead anyone
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Mr. Sandman

I did not create this graph either but the point remains the same...

The top 5% pay more than HALF the burden. more than half pay nothing yet get full benefits and complain that they are not getting their fair share...THAT is the point

BTW the figure is a couple years old, the numbers are worse than indicated now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taxes2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	51893  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
zimmy

Quote:
I did not create this graph either but the point remains the same...

The top 5% pay more than HALF the burden. more than half pay nothing yet get full benefits and complain that they are not getting their fair share...THAT is the point

BTW the figure is a couple years old, the numbers are worse than indicated now.
pay nothing is a distortion. Don't believe everything you hear.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
pay nothing is a distortion. Don't believe everything you hear.
You are right. "pay nothing" is a slight distortion. These folks pay sales tax, gas tax, etc...But a huge number of American households pay 0 feredal income tax.

Zimmy, here is something that's not a distortion.

Sixteen trillion and counting. Here's what that looks like numerically...

$16,000,000,000,000.

Throw in social security and Medicare shortfalls, and we're in the red by at least...

$50,000,000,000,000.

There are 300 million Americans. That works out to this much per person...

$166,667.

That's not a distortion Zimmy, that's hard fact. Conservatives feel we need to start addressing this. Liberals prefer to stick their fingers in their ears and their heads in the sand, and keep handing out checks to buy votes.

Try making that wrong, or even "distorted"...