Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Jefferson Airplane and Starship

Dudes - music from the olden days when young folks actually gave a rat's ass, had nads and weren't afraid to take to the streets.

It would appear the only thing the current generation is gonna march over is faster Facebook access, cheaper iPhones and bigger lattes...

And yeah, I said it -

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 01-17-2009 at 12:27 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Hey, sorry - the Airplane always brings back memories of another time and place...

And I still like 'em -

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
stcroixman

They were the best of the SF bands (Airplane). Surrealistic Pillow is their best, Crown of Creation is pretty good and I forget that other album where they did a tremendous cover of wooden ships.

I will admit I ve got them all. I used to collect albums. Now I spend all my money on fishing stuff
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

far out man

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
stcroixman

I always though Grace was the sexiest R&R chick. I know she lost it fast, but few women in R&R were ever in her league
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Grace was hot without a doubt -

The line-up of acid-rock musicians was great - Marty Balin, Kaukonen, Cassady, etc -

I may end up getting a retrospective CD now - got the vinyl of Bathing at Baxters, Surrealistic Pillow, Crown of Creation, etc etc -

Yeah, it is far-out, man...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Backbeach Jake

There isn't a day that goes by when I don't wonder what happened to the will to fight back. So much fear today.
Another note: for a generation with the munchies, those folks look awful fit and lean.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Good later version of Volunteers, from a concert at Radio City in '89, 20 years after the original -

And this was 20 years ago...

Hey, Karl and stcroixman, BTW - for the love of God, whatever you do, DON'T look for current stuff of Grace...just trust me on that...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
There isn't a day that goes by when I don't wonder what happened to the will to fight back. So much fear today.
Another note: for a generation with the munchies, those folks look awful fit and lean.
Hey man, there isn't any of that brown rice left, is there?...

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
tautog

Saw the Starship a few times but the best was front row at the Music Hall in Boston when they just formed. They were on the Blows Against The Empire tour and were unreal. They had Pappa John Creech wailing on the violin and a young guitarist Craig Chaquia who was great.
One of my best(actually remember one from that era).
tautog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Crafty...just for you

she's painting ...she's working on a Portrait of Jerry Garcia there... Morrison, Jimi, Janis, David Crosby...all the geezers and ones gone on...

I saw her interviewed not too long ago..she said her biggest sin was getting old!

yeah...Right!
Hey, I dunno Karl - I guess i hadn't oughta be throwing stones at old people......

At least she still has her faculties...which is amazing given Grace's...uhhh...recreational history, if ya get my drift.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog01 View Post
Saw the Starship a few times but the best was front row at the Music Hall in Boston when they just formed. They were on the Blows Against The Empire tour and were unreal. They had Pappa John Creech wailing on the violin and a young guitarist Craig Chaquia who was great.
One of my best(actually remember one from that era).
I missed a chance to see them in a smaller venue near URI in the '60's .....during the Volunteers tour - still regret that, always wanted to see them live.

Hey, T-1, don't sweat it - Robin Williams said if you remember the '60's you weren't really there at the time...

Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
Raven

revolution
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote