Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Dust Control

I am contemplating this unit. Anyone have any insight or recommendations? Too big too small? A better deal out there? How loud are we looking at? I am half deaf so I am not concerned just thinking of the family upstairs.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=5496

probably get this item too
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=6022

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

get the hepa top 0.5 micron

I found the 'cyclone' I lost too much pressure, so I just go direct into the bag

http://www.amazon.com/708626RCK-Hors...6501361&sr=8-2

I also just run a heay duty hose to the machine I am using. Moving from machine to machine. No ductwork.

I clean the hepa filter, every six months. with a shop vac outside.
The rib ticklers don't get it all.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

but Bill that friggin thing is 700 bucks. I will use at machine no duct work or multiple machines.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

if you can get the hepa it's worth it.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

http://www.tools-plus.com/delta-50-850a.html

As a delta
Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
eastendlu

Grizzly make some good units.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Paul, those are chip collectors. For real dust collection (1 micron stuff) it gets very complicated and expensive. I use a chip collector with felt bags, a separate air cleaner, and a mask. Still probably ruining my lungs for a few plugs. Fortunately my brain is going faster so I won't know about it in the long run.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Slip has a little unit he ws using at PlugFest. Did not seem to make much noise and was pretty mobile. The one thing I really liked is it's small.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
eastendlu

Paul i have a Jet 1hp with 5 micron bags that i can part with as i just upgraded to a 2 hp unit.If your interested let me know since i am sure i will be traveling up around your parts in the near future.

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
eastendlu

Forgot to add its the same unit that Joe(Rockfish9) has it can be wired 110 or 220.Their are pics of it in one of hist shop post.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Rockfish9

Here's a picture of the unit, I have swapped out the stock 35 Mic bags for 1 Mic bags, switched it to 220V , I also have a ceiling mounted Penn Industries 650 CFM air cleaner fitted with a smoke filter( I dont have a pic on my 'puter of anymore)... there is less dust in my shop than there is in the house....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust collector.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	30067  

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
Finatic

Grizzly has a 2 hp on sale now. Was 525.00 is on sale for 425.00. Cleanable 2.5 micron filter, 220v but only "74 dB . Shipping from Muncy is 69.00. I may try to sell my new delta so I can get this one. It's quiet !! and, I think, around 1700 cfm.

Last edited by Finatic; 11-12-2008 at 08:16 PM..

If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!!
Finatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #13
EricW

I just bought the 708636 remote model from Jet. They just came out with that model (was 626) and they claim it is a 1 micron canister filter. It was a bit pricey. Most all of my woodworking tools I have gotten for free or very little $$ so I figure I am ahead of the game.....

I've been looking at getting one of these for a couple years now and hemmed and hawed over them and finally settled on this one. It really rocks! I had thought of getting one of the cheaper models with about the same cfm and upgrading the bags to canister etc, but when you add it up and put your time into it you have spent quite a bit of $$. The canister has something like 12000 square inches of filter if I remember right. I would highly recommend the remote. It makes it really easy. I can turn it on from over 100 feet away down my driveway. I just leave it in my pocket and tap my leg when I want to turn it on. It all goes together well, sturdy and easy to put the bags in with its snap ring set up. Not too bad on the noise level. It is loud, but doesn't blow you away.

It also has the handle on the canister that you turn to knock dust down to the bag. I really like that feature. I've turned and sanded about 30 plugs on it so far and cleaned the canister and there was barely any dust stuck to it. From what I have read, it can go a while before it needs cleaning.

Amazon had the 708626 model for a while around 500 but all of a sudden it has shot up by 100.00+ all over the online sites. I was able to get it for a bit less with a 50 rebate from one of the vendors from jet's web site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dustcollector.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	30080  
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
GFGF

anyone out there tried grizzelys $700 cyclone?
GFGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I just bought the 708636 remote model from Jet. They just came out with that model (was 626) and they claim it is a 1 micron canister filter. It was a bit pricey. Most all of my woodworking tools I have gotten for free or very little $$ so I figure I am ahead of the game.....

I've been looking at getting one of these for a couple years now and hemmed and hawed over them and finally settled on this one. It really rocks! I had thought of getting one of the cheaper models with about the same cfm and upgrading the bags to canister etc, but when you add it up and put your time into it you have spent quite a bit of $$. The canister has something like 12000 square inches of filter if I remember right. I would highly recommend the remote. It makes it really easy. I can turn it on from over 100 feet away down my driveway. I just leave it in my pocket and tap my leg when I want to turn it on. It all goes together well, sturdy and easy to put the bags in with its snap ring set up. Not too bad on the noise level. It is loud, but doesn't blow you away.

It also has the handle on the canister that you turn to knock dust down to the bag. I really like that feature. I've turned and sanded about 30 plugs on it so far and cleaned the canister and there was barely any dust stuck to it. From what I have read, it can go a while before it needs cleaning.

Amazon had the 708626 model for a while around 500 but all of a sudden it has shot up by 100.00+ all over the online sites. I was able to get it for a bit less with a 50 rebate from one of the vendors from jet's web site.
I love mine
Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
cutchogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
Paul i have a Jet 1hp with 5 micron bags that i can part with as i just upgraded to a 2 hp unit.If your interested let me know since i am sure i will be traveling up around your parts in the near future.

If Paul doesn't want it. I would be interested in buying it from you Lou.
Al,

"What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"
cutchogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #17
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

For a simple set up I would use a shop vac.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks for the offer Lu but i am not ready yet. If Al needs it then he can have it if you really want to get rid of it, but thanks again.

Bob I do use a shop Vac and a respirator now. Just trying to research something a little better for future use. Thanks all.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
PNG

http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/925835121.html

Hope its still there for yah

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #20
Grapenuts

Try "Pledge"
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #21
Guyver

Thumbs up

I found some interesting (at least to me but I'm easily amused ) information while poking around and thought I'd share. First is a Dust collector review: (from 2002 but contains lots of info)
http://eberhardt.bz/GME_Wood_Land/GM...tor_Review.pdf

A dust collection tutorial:
http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/...n-Tutorial.pdf

And answers to some Frequently asked Questions: (click on literature for even more pdf's)
http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/faq.php

I learned some new stuff that should come in handy when selecting a Dust Collector.
Guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #22
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I added one of those felt bags to my collector years ago, works well, then a few years later those Jet pleated filters with the stirrer on them came out, wish I had one of those now.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I added one of those felt bags to my collector years ago, works well, then a few years later those Jet pleated filters with the stirrer on them came out, wish I had one of those now.
The fine dust gets trapped on the pleated filter, 2 micron, the flapper doesn't get it all off. Every 6 months I take the thing outside and vacuum it with a shop vac, with a clearstream filter.
I normally get a few gallons of dust out of it.
It particularly cakes up on the lower lip of the unit.
Needless to say, I am glad it is in the unit, not out around my shop.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
togue
Pluggin' Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I love mine
Yeah, I love mine too, but where did you find a 0.5 micron filter to replace the stock 2 micron one?

Also, d@mn glad I bought mine over a year ago, they were a lot less money, and very nicely discounted on sale at the time too!
togue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #25
EricW

Quote:
Originally Posted by togue View Post
Yeah, I love mine too, but where did you find a 0.5 micron filter to replace the stock 2 micron one?

Also, d@mn glad I bought mine over a year ago, they were a lot less money, and very nicely discounted on sale at the time too!
I haven't seen a .5 micron for that model only the 1 micron. That is one of the reasons I was delayed in getting mine. I wanted to get a 1 micron, and I saw other makes had 1 micron filters, but couldn't seem to find a 1 micron on sale, then heard jet was coming out with a 1 micron, but finding that was tough for a while. When they finally did get it out, price on both the 1 and 2 microns and all the other jet tools has shot up.

The part # for the 1 micron canister for the 1100 is 708639B.
You can google it. It doesn't show up in too many places yet.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
striperman36
Old Guy

I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the tip, it's always a pain, I am doing alot of sanding at the moment and I need all the pressure I can get.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #27
togue
Pluggin' Addict

Anybody else here ever re-wire the main panel in their unit so that you can use the remote control when it is in another room? I am fishing for ideas on this.

I am planning to move my Jet 1100 into an adjoining room to cut down on some of the noise (it is the loudest machine in the mancave), but still want to turn it on and off with the remote. Eventually I might even want to move the whole unit outside the house. Looks like all I have to do is make a set of jumper wires to the main control panel so I can put it through the wall to where the remote can see it.

Guess I could also get a set of those TV remote extenders that let you go to another room, maybe I'll look into that option instead....
togue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #28
striperman36
Old Guy

I have the 1100 without the remote.
I purchased a remote switch box to plug it into. If I use an extension cord I could have the remote in the shop and the dust collector elsewhere
damn thing is loud, the compressor is louder tho
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #29
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I have successlfully used insullation board to build a box aound the compressor to cut the sound down. If it is again an exterior wall you must put it there too, as it will otherwise reflect the sound off the wall. Someone else had one in a picture posted on the ManCave thread.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Found it. This is from Rockfish9's shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AircompRockfish.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	30391  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote