Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Make America Rake the forest again

OMG I couldn’t believe Trump suggesting we need to rake and clean the forests and promising we are going to make the forests safe again. Every time I thing this guy can’t possibly show us how little he knows about a subject, while at the same time suggesting he knows everything about it, well i just have to wait a while.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
spence

Finland has excellent raking and no fires. Trump is outsmarting you at every turn.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Nebe

And the Mexicans are gonna pay for it
Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
wdmso

Finland is the world’s sixth most northerly country. Finland falls approximately within the same latitudes as Alaska.

I am glad someone else started this Thread!!! seeing I am obsessed with attacking him at every turn and spreading misinformation and giving him the praise he deserves when he accidently does his job

On a foreign visit today to California, the USA Leader (he wore a USA cap so the Californians would know where he’s from) declared that had the people of California done “more raking” these fires wouldn’t happen. He repeated that there is no “climate change” but added, “I want great climate.”

Michael Moore
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Cool Beans

"Its all funny HAHA Trumps an Idiot" he doesnt always say things perfect but in this case he is partly correct. When it is illegal to take dead or fallen trees on government land in CA for personal use firewood, yet is legal in many other western states. In Idaho you purchase a permit for about $50 for the year to cut up to 5 or 6 cords of dead and fallen trees for personal use. Instead of Mexico (haha) paying for it, you have locals paying to remove the dead trees. And CA also severely cut the funding of creating fire breaks and fire prevention programs over the past 10 years.

Fires happen in all forests no matter how much removal of dead growth is done, however it is MUCH easier to battle a fire that does not have decades worth of dead growth trees feeding the damn fires.

It is also a lot easier for fire crews to move around on a forest floor that isn't a pile of dead trees. My brother is a "Hot Shot" crew member in Idaho and he says most of the fires in CA, you cannot effectively use hot shot type fire crews because of the danger to them and their limited mobility due to the dead growth. The fires happen no matter what the cause, electric company issue, camp fires, or lightning, but CA makes it unnecessarily dangerous and difficult to fight these fires when they occur.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
"Its all funny HAHA Trumps an Idiot" he doesnt always say things perfect but in this case he is partly correct. When it is illegal to take dead or fallen trees on government land in CA for personal use firewood, yet is legal in many other western states. In Idaho you purchase a permit for about $50 for the year to cut up to 5 or 6 cords of dead and fallen trees for personal use. Instead of Mexico (haha) paying for it, you have locals paying to remove the dead trees. And CA also severely cut the funding of creating fire breaks and fire prevention programs over the past 10 years.

Fires happen in all forests no matter how much removal of dead growth is done, however it is MUCH easier to battle a fire that does not have decades worth of dead growth trees feeding the damn fires.

It is also a lot easier for fire crews to move around on a forest floor that isn't a pile of dead trees. My brother is a "Hot Shot" crew member in Idaho and he says most of the fires in CA, you cannot effectively use hot shot type fire crews because of the danger to them and their limited mobility due to the dead growth. The fires happen no matter what the cause, electric company issue, camp fires, or lightning, but CA makes it unnecessarily dangerous and difficult to fight these fires when they occur.
A lot of these fires aren’t even starting in the forest though and the feds control a majority of the forest land in CA anyway. From what I’ve read the private land management in California is actually quite good.

Bigger issue seems to be more people living in fire prone areas and climate change which is cooking an already dry climate.

Regardless, with 1200+ still missing, nearly a hundred already dead and thousands of first responders and firefighters risking life and limb this is shaping up to be an epic American tragedy...

That Trump’s first instinct is to blame others is pretty pathetic.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Nebe

Trump’s tactics are plainly obvious. There is a repetitive cycle of him blasting something rediculous to get people arguing about it. The real problem is climate change.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump still doesn’t buy into climate change, when asked why he didn’t believe the scientific community on climate change, he suggested they have a political agenda so it’s not believable. To suggest raking and cleaning the forest is laughable, the west cooks to a point anything will set it off and then add those winds and no fire round or preburn in the world is stopping it.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
PaulS

this has nothing to do with his belief on climate change. California votes democratic and he hates Democrats for not voting for him and so he thinks of some way to criticize them even if it's making it up. He does this repeatedly. He is incapable of expressing empathy
Old 11-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Sea Dangles

I am glad we live on the other side of the country where Trump likes us and has already fixed the global warming(climate change to snowflakes).
Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
detbuch

Trump doesn't come up with these ideas on his own. And his less than eloquent and imprecise way of communicating them doesn't help his image when they're added to by those who wish to call him stupid without researching if he has a point.

Forest mismanagement, especially regarding major forest fires, has been a political issue for at least the past few years.

Various solutions have been offered, such as the one Cool Beans offered here. there are also complaints about not reducing overgrowth by preset, controlled fires.

Trump brings up these problems and solutions in his inimitable way of sounding foolish, which is immediately jumped on by his naysayers, and another clown meme is created.

http://thelens.news/2016/03/03/somet...l-dnr-reforms/

http://thelens.news/2017/01/24/plann...in-washington/
Old 11-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Trump doesn't come up with these ideas on his own. And his less than eloquent and imprecise way of communicating them doesn't help his image when they're added to by those who wish to call him stupid without researching if he has a point.

Forest mismanagement, especially regarding major forest fires, has been a political issue for at least the past few years.

Various solutions have been offered, such as the one Cool Beans offered here. there are also complaints about not reducing overgrowth by preset, controlled fires.

Trump brings up these problems and solutions in his inimitable way of sounding foolish, which is immediately jumped on by his naysayers, and another clown meme is created.

http://thelens.news/2016/03/03/somet...l-dnr-reforms/

http://thelens.news/2017/01/24/plann...in-washington/
And why do you think this is suddenly required, do you think climate change might be contributing? Why do you think building codes on our own seaport are changing and disaster planning is having to address flooding in areas they didn’t in years past. Trump thinks the change is only temporary and the scientific community warning us of things to come, just has a hidden political agenda.

You can rake the forest and encourage clear cutting, but those might be just bandages for a short term fix.

I also think that in light of the suffering and losses, that is not the time to be putting the blame on forestry management, but he likes to throw paper towels and hand out leaf rakes in times of dispare.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

After a while one would think Trump would take advantage of the resources available to him to prepare public statements so he is not perceived to be a fool
It’s not the media’s job to interpret his off the cuff remarks as he sees fit
It’s a tough job and he asked for it, nobody made him run
Public perception is a big part of his job and he doesn’t understand that he has to sell to more than his base

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
And why do you think this is suddenly required, do you think climate change might be contributing? Why do you think building codes on our own seaport are changing and disaster planning is having to address flooding in areas they didn’t in years past. Trump thinks the change is only temporary and the scientific community warning us of things to come, just has a hidden political agenda.

You can rake the forest and encourage clear cutting, but those might be just bandages for a short term fix.

I also think that in light of the suffering and losses, that is not the time to be putting the blame on forestry management, but he likes to throw paper towels and hand out leaf rakes in times of dispare.
By all means, let us not pay attention to short term fix bandages.

As for the rest, I don't know, you seem to be certain, or more certain than not. I suspect if the people of California want to initiate climate change policies that prevent forest fires, they can do it. We've been told over and over that California is richer than most other countries. It is probably the most progressive State in the union. No doubt the California politicians and government planners are smarter than Trump. They can surely do the long term fix without Trump.

Governor Jerry Brown was appreciative of the work FEMA was doing and thanked Trump for calling attention to the problem. Trump said there will be federal funding for forest management. That there will be state and federal cooperation on the problem.

But, of course, Trump is a clown.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

The Finnish are posting pics raking or even vacuuming the forests, to ridicule Trump’s claim that Finland’s president told him their nation rakes the forests to prevent fires. (Finland’s President said he never discussed it with Trump.)
Raking America great again
Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 AM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
After a while one would think Trump would take advantage of the resources available to him to prepare public statements so he is not perceived to be a fool

Enough voters did not perceive him to be a fool. And his actual record in business and politics has not been foolish. You may not like him, you may disagree with him, but he has not been foolish. And what those who voted for him wanted from him, he has to a great degree given it to them.

It’s not the media’s job to interpret his off the cuff remarks as he sees fit

It's not the media's job to misinterpret. Often the misinterpretation is so off the mark that it appears to be obvious. So obvious that the media itself looks foolish, or devious. But those who hate him, as is evidenced in spades on this forum, relish making most everything he says a lie, or racist, or homophobic, or misogynist, blah, blah . . . and the media fuels that perception.

It’s a tough job and he asked for it, nobody made him run

When he ran, he ran hard and made his opponents look like fools. Now, it may be foolish to make enemies, but a lot of that cuts both ways.

Public perception is a big part of his job and he doesn’t understand that he has to sell to more than his base
This notion of "the media's job" is a hoot. I don't know if the media ever did the job we are told it was supposed to do when it comes to politics and Presidents. But, if the real job of corporate media is to make big and bigger profits, then what sells is what it will concoct. And what sells has evolved more and more to be contentiousness and scandal.

And it's no longer believed that those in the media are not biased. Many of them even openly show their bias. And public perception is heavily influenced by media bias. There is nothing Trump can do to persuade the media to paint a favorable picture of him. Except to just shut his mouth and be like a Democrat (again--as in when he was popular with the media).

But this is all obvious, and has been hashed over on the forum so much that it has really become boring.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

From what I’ve read the private land management in California is actually quite good.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size]
clearly....
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
Sea Dangles

Context
Old 11-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
Nebe

Just imagine what the 15,000 troops could’ve done to help that forest fire instead of being sent to the Mexican border. #Sad
Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Just imagine what the 15,000 troops could’ve done to help that forest fire instead of being sent to the Mexican border. #Sad
tell us
Old 11-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I think there has to be a request for US military help to fight fires. I don't think 15,000 troops can be requested.

The governor on his own can call up the National Guard of his state. Did Jerry Brown do that?

Would it be necessary to have the 15,000 Troops instead of the more usual small number of units the military uses to assist in fighting fires when help is requested. Are you implying that the Troops sent to the border should, instead, have been used to fight fires? That no troops should have been sent to the border? That only one or the other can be done?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #22
scottw

Quote:

Are you implying that the Troops sent to the border should, instead, have been used to fight fires?
yes...where they could shoot at the fires to try to put them out
Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #23
Sea Dangles

An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure #smart
Old 11-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #24
PaulS

Dotard screwed up the name of the town twice.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Dotard screwed up the name of the town twice.
see other thread...
Old 11-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
see other thread...
I'm not going to look at another thread for your posts. If your posts are longer than a sentence I usually ignore them due to expected snarky nature of the majority of them.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
This notion of "the media's job" is a hoot. I don't know if the media ever did the job we are told it was supposed to do when it comes to politics and Presidents. But, if the real job of corporate media is to make big and bigger profits, then what sells is what it will concoct. And what sells has evolved more and more to be contentiousness and scandal. Trump uses contentiousness and scandal very skillfully

And it's no longer believed By Trump's base that those in the media are not biased. Many of them even openly show their bias. And public perception is heavily influenced by media bias. There is nothing Trump can do to persuade the media, other than state news to paint a favorable picture of him. Except to just shut his mouth and be like a Democrat (again--as in when he was popular with the media).

But this is all obvious, and has been hashed over on the forum so much that it has really become boring.
He would need to act like a man, not the reality tv star he thinks he is.
Words have more consequences in his current position than just ratings, one would hope the job of President as a leader is not purely transactional. It's obvious that you would disagree with that.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'm not going to look at another thread for your posts. If your posts are longer than a sentence I usually ignore them due to expected snarky nature of the majority of them.
You don't miss anything if you block him

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #29
scottw

Quote:
You don't miss anything if you block him
he needs the attention...
Old 11-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #30
scottw

Quote:

He would need to act like a man, not the reality tv star he thinks he is.
wasn't he a reality tv star?