Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Ugh, College and Financial Aid

Meeting at High School Wednesday evening for parents of junior class to learn about Financial Aid.... Divorced dad with twins. This ain't going to be pretty.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
FishermanTim

Remember those immortal parental words: "Trade School"

Hopefully the kids will take the initiative and apply themselves for possible scholarships.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Remember those immortal parental words: "Trade School"

Hopefully the kids will take the initiative and apply themselves for possible scholarships.
Good words, too: in-state, state school, commute compared to out-of-state, private, room&board

Unlikely but check for multi-student discount at same school?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I hated making out that check every month for seven or eight years. Need to speak with someone to rectify a problem and you get Shane in Mombai.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
vineyardblues

Same boat as you Ross,

f.y.i
the more money you owe the better off you are

(Credit cards DO NOT COUNT).

So buy another boat/house/truck
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Some surprises for me....

Actually having twins going at same time is more advantageous in terms of financial aid.

UMass and other state schools meet a much lower % of need/aid than private schools do.

Private scholarships only make up 3% of all monies available.

Some of the grants/loans have monthly payments that balloon in years 4,5,6, and 7......Know what all your payments are for the life of the loan or grant offered. FYI grants = loans.

You can negotiate with the schools' financial aid offices.... did not even think that was an option.

The forms are a PITA.... CSS is more invasive of personal data than FAFSA.

Was a very good meeting.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
beaver

Just graduated last May with 22k of loans staring right at me and that was with help from my folks, and a modest educational scholarship. Just been accepted into an MBA program and found out that unless you're going Ivy league there isn't much help coming from any of the schools. Looking like I'll be adding 18k to that 22. Its a biatch but I don't regret any of it. Hopefully one day it might actually pay off. Good luck with the search.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
Joe

You can fulfill most of the gen eds at a community college - it's not as fun for a student as a move-away school, but Dad can save huge. Do the gen eds at a community college, and then go in as a junior at a four-year school. My wife does academic advising at URI.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Beaver, its worth every dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver View Post
Just graduated last May with 22k of loans staring right at me and that was with help from my folks, and a modest educational scholarship. Just been accepted into an MBA program and found out that unless you're going Ivy league there isn't much help coming from any of the schools. Looking like I'll be adding 18k to that 22. Its a biatch but I don't regret any of it. Hopefully one day it might actually pay off. Good luck with the search.

I ended up with 16 K in my forties in loans for me, and as much as I hated making that it warmed my heart every time I thought about that degree that no one can ever take away from you.

Ross I can't imagine having twins, the nightmares involved just thinking about going to the meeting to discuss those issues is enough to make some people go over the edge. Good luck.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
buckman

I'm in the same boat as you. Daughter is now a junior and my son is going next year. It's not that much work..really. Once you fill out the FAFSA online the rest is easy. Good luck.
One more thing to think about.. Dorms cost 10K a year. you can get a good, safe, 2 bedroom apartment for the same $$ and if both go to the same school you save 10K. My daughter is at UMass Lowell and it was a no brainer ( which helped me alot, lol)
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
gone fishin

Thakfull I am over that hump! All four are now out on their own with great jobs.. For those who now are going to spring for the $$$ your kids will soon be calling you "the rent" in lew of Mom And Dad! Get used to it"

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

One more day of financial colonoscopy ahead of me tomorrow....Forms due Tuesday. Basically have to do your taxes to fill the forms out. Had to speak with the ex on a couple college related subjects today too. And do you think I could get either one of the kids to return a text or call today??? I am in such a phl#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g good mood......

Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
One more day of financial colonoscopy ahead of me tomorrow....Forms due Tuesday. Basically have to do your taxes to fill the forms out. Had to speak with the ex on a couple college related subjects today too. And do you think I could get either one of the kids to return a text or call today??? I am in such a phl#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g good mood......
Hey, it's as good as it's going to get, torromow FLOOD!!
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote