Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

All Set With The B's.....

this freekin' team has no heart! they don't stand up for their teammates..they don't play with any passion- damned disgrace. orr tunes up lucic- where's charra? savard gets totally cheapshoted- where's anyone? i'm done with these cupcakes...come on baseball.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. yeah after watching the olympics it is a yawn fest.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
stcroixman

Same crap year after year with them. I have said it before and will continue. Since they traded Joe Thornton for a bucket of pucks, the organization has no identity or direction, no on ice leadership or image to put forth to the fans. It's just another business for Jeremy Jacobs.

Bring on baseball.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

They are still in the hunt for the playoffs and if healthy they may surprise a lot of people. Goaltending situation seems to have solidified as both Rask and Thomas are playing well. Goaltending can steal a series or two. I am a die-hard and will not give up on them as frustrating as this season has been. They play Pittsburgh again next week and lets hope that thug Cooke is done with his suspension by then so Thornton can take care of that early in the game.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

This will define the season for the Bruins. Savard has a Grade 2 concussion which is bad, but not as bad as Bergeron's from a year or so ago.

That being said, this team needs balls. I am hoping they bury Crosby and Malkin every time they have the puck on the 18th. And if Cooke is back, punish him anytime. This guy is known for this and he keeps doing it. The way to stop it is to punish the skill players on his team and make them tell him to cut the BS.

Colin Campbell (NHL disciplinarian) has stated it was not a dirty or illegal hit. This guy is the same guy who didn't suspend Scott Walker for sucker-punching Aaron Ward last year.

The game on the 18th just got a lot more interesting.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad 818 View Post
Colin Campbell (NHL disciplinarian) has stated it was not a dirty or illegal hit. This guy is the same guy who didn't suspend Scott Walker for sucker-punching Aaron Ward last year.

There's nothing in any rulebook I've ever read that says a check to the head with the shoulder is illegal--it's the exact same hit that Scott Stevens ended Lindros' career with in the Eastern Conference finals about 10 years ago.

There's a reason they tell you to keep your head up. Cheap shot? Yup, but not illegal.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
There's nothing in any rulebook I've ever read that says a check to the head with the shoulder is illegal--it's the exact same hit that Scott Stevens ended Lindros' career with in the Eastern Conference finals about 10 years ago.

There's a reason they tell you to keep your head up. Cheap shot? Yup, but not illegal.
Well then it should be illegal. If it was any Bruin who hit Crosby like that, there would be outrage.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
stcroixman

you would have thought after ted green got his head split open by Wayne Maki's stick years ago, any blow of any kind to the head would be illegal.

Boy just the thought of those great Bruin teams, makes me sick about today's teams. You think Sanderson, Wensick or Jonathan would have let that cheap shot on Savard go as a freebie?
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
fishbones

Quote:

You're right, a shoulder to the head isn't illegal as long as it's not from behind or boarding. This hit wasn't a shoulder, though. Evidently, you didnt see the replay of the hit where Cooke clearly hits Savard with an elbow. And in case you didn't know, an elbow to the head is against the rules in the NHL.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:

This type of hit and running someone from behind into the boards are the reason the Intent to Injure penalty was brought into the rules.

But what I have seen (or not seen) from this pansy a$$ed team, Crosby, Malkin and Cooke have nothing to be worried about.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcroixman View Post
you would have thought after ted green got his head split open by Wayne Maki's stick years ago, any blow of any kind to the head would be illegal.

Boy just the thought of those great Bruin teams, makes me sick about today's teams. You think Sanderson, Wensick or Jonathan would have let that cheap shot on Savard go as a freebie?
Damn I yearn for the days of Secord, Wensink, Jonathan and O'Reilly.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
SurfCaster413

Quote:
Mike nothing legal about this hit what so ever,actually it was text book hit. Lindors had his head down coming into the zone, Stevens came at him head on, lindors had his head down and even admitted to it being a clean hit. Where as cooke came from the blind side of savard.

I want Don Cherry for a coach as a young man never seeing him coach the b's before I think the guy is great
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
beaver

The reason they didnt send the goons on Cooke was because they still had a game to win. Playing the last 5 minutes of the game short handed would be a terrible idea. They see the Pens again on the 18th so be ready for a little revenge on one of their skill players.

It seemed as though they might be able to turn things around, but now it will be tough without Savard. They've been dealing with injuries all year, and scoring goals never seemed to be a strong point. I'm hoping that they can get a little meaner down the stretch, but with Lucic hurting, Thorton occasionally getting a healthy scratch, and Begin not being as tough as we thought, they may have trouble. Big Z has been too nice, and Stuart has had a few injuries, the big bad Bruins arent so bad.

There is still hope for the playoffs, and if they get there its a new season. Need to beat the last place Maple Leafs first though.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
SurfCaster413

they looked like crap tonight
Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #15
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Sadly a typical game last night. Energetic first period, mediocre second period and pathetic third period. As much as I love wide-open up&down hockey this team cannot protect a lead at all. Thomas was allowed to be trampled and despite stoning Kessel numerous times he cannot do it alone without solid defense. They missed Chara last night and Dennis Wideman is a joke of a defenseman and Humwik is competing with him for most give-aways in one game.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
SurfCaster413

i completely agree wideman,humwick, ference, ryder, sbotka(sp),begin should not be back on this team
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

You know when your team has no spine?

When Vladimir $*&#@! Sobotka leads your team in hits with 4.

Julien needs to go.

Bring back Grapes dammit!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
InTheHole

It was a cheap shot hit, blind side, unprotected, shoulder, elbow... whatever. There is a rule 21(i) that covers intent to injure and lists it as a match penalty. By going after the head of a player not in a position to see the check coming and able to defend, instead of taking the easily available full body check... I don't see how that can be seen as anything but intent to injure.
If that had been Thornton on Crosby the NHL would be nailing the cross together for the crucifixion

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #19
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheHole View Post
It was a cheap shot hit, blind side, unprotected, shoulder, elbow... whatever. There is a rule 21(i) that covers intent to injure and lists it as a match penalty. By going after the head of a player not in a position to see the check coming and able to defend, instead of taking the easily available full body check... I don't see how that can be seen as anything but intent to injure.
If that had been Thornton on Crosby the NHL would be nailing the cross together for the crucifixion
Yup. One of the reasons I loved Neely was because you knew he was coming and he never cheap-shotted anyone. (Would have liked to see him injure Samuelsson though)

These ballerinas who don't like contact are the golden boys of the sport. Say what you will about Ovechkin, but I would take him over Golden Boy Crosby anyday because he is a COMPLETE hockey player.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
eskimo

I don't think there is any comparison between Ovechkin and Crosby.

Wideman was already playing horrible before they singled him out. Now they just put the icing on the cake. Kessel is fast but he is not transparent. How the D let him behind them 5+ times is unreal.
They owed that game to Thomas for keeping them in it for as long as he did.

As far as the hit on Savard, Everyone on the ice was deep in the zone. I think Savard was just came off the bench and Ryder was the only bruin that could have seen it. I think the D was changing out.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #21
InTheHole

[QUOTE=Dad 818;753599](Would have liked to see him injure Samuelsson though)

Yeah, I remember Ulfie playing turtle when Neely grabbed him the first time the 2 met after Neely came back.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

I find it ironic that Colin Campbell's first name is pronounced "Colon". That's where his head is. No suspension or fine for Cooke.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
Mr. Sandman

The problem with hockey is there are too many "unwritten" rules. Players are "suppose to" police themselves. This is too naive. When you fight you are intentionally trying to hit another in the head to injure...yet this is ok? I have always thought fist fighting in hockey was stupid, esp with helmets on. I played thru HS and a little in college (club team).

Frankly, I think if you injure a player with a hit to the head (any way shape or form) the player who caused it should be out 2x as long as the player who was injured and during that time his salary is directed to the injured player, further, the amount should be further matched by the team causing the injury. If it is not about money nothing will change. The player who gets injured needs to get compensated for his suffering IMO.

The GM's are meeting now and I think you will see a head hit ruling. But it will be not about money.

I would guess that cook gets 5 games but IMO that is not nearly enough...he should be out longer than the person he injured.

The team has lost it's physical spark...nothing like last season. What happened to Lucic...he was a madman on the boards, he is a pussy now. Last season Wideman had a killer slapshot and this year he is too worried about making a mistake.

The good news...we should get a few good players in the draft. I hope they look for offense, instead of their defense philosophy.
Also The D to D sthick behind the net does not work anymore... everyone has figured it out...they need a new game.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I would guess that cook gets 5 games but IMO that is not nearly enough...he should be out longer than the person he injured.
Dude like I posted before you, Cooke got NOTHING!!!!!! No suspension OR fine!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
Backbeach Jake

I'm not a big hockey fan, but I saw that hit. If next time they meet and the Bruins don't trash that arsegrommet, then the B's are pussies, period.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #26
WoodyCT

Thumbs down Causeway Cubs

I have tix to see them play Calgary on the 27th, and I could not care less if I went or not. If the tix weren't given to my son as a gift I'd sell the damn things.

Payback on the 18th??

That would take heart. And this team has absolutely none!!
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote