Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 06-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #31
Slipknot
Super Moderator

poplar and pine can warp way worse than plywood might.
Some clients can afford a no particle board option so veneer core plywood is good. I use it on almost everything as I build a lot of cases.
That's OK Gilly, they already know I'm weird.
Just use an Iron and chase it with a block of wood, you'll be fine.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #32
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #33
Rmarsh

Edgebanding video......I dont use the special edge trimmer tool he uses in the video ....I use the edge teeth of a flat file.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5a40hj
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #34
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Good staging makes it much easier. Had to install crown moulding in every room of this 5,000 sq. ft. house......not done on step ladders.
I did 5" crown molding in 2 rooms with cathedral ceilings. Never again. Cutting the joints took lots of trial and error and PATIENCE.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #35
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I did 5" crown molding in 2 rooms with cathedral ceilings. Never again. Cutting the joints took lots of trial and error and PATIENCE.
Putty and paint....makes it what it ain’t. 😂
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #36
Rmarsh

....makes a carpenter what he ain’t. 😂

Big difference in paint grade jobs versus stained or prefinished.
For the latter you need more skill and patience....using putty in poorly fitting joints looks like crap.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #37
Nebe

Quote:
....makes a carpenter what he ain’t. 😂

Big difference in paint grade jobs versus stained or prefinished.
For the latter you need more skill and patience....using putty in poorly fitting joints looks like crap.
I have a ton more welding experience over carpentry experience, so my old saying was always- a grinder and paint makes you the welder you aint! but yes i can see how a stained job would make a big difference.

We just did crown molding around our gallery and i was quite humbled by it. i tried a few different approaches and for me, I found that the best method was to use my makita grinder that i usually use on metal paired with a 40 grit sand paper disc was the best tool for corners... but one end and then cope the other side with the grinder.

I grind and polish glass occasionally... that is a zen art that i could write a book about....
Old 06-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #38
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

A couple thoughts on crown molding, which I have done a lot of;

Check ceiling lines first for level. If level, easy peasy. But if you put your eyes up at ceiling level you will find sighting 4 out of 5 will make you seasick... If delta is less than .5 inch, caulk between top of crown and ceiling.

Be sure you have a tall enough fence on your miter saw and mark or tape the base for the spring angle so your joints will be consistent.

Make up 4 set up pieces and mark them inside left, inside right, outside left, outside right. These will help you to minimize mistakes when setting up your cuts, especially on inside pieces that are to be coped. I still do this every time.

Makes a pencil line on the profile after cutting. It will make coping much easier as you can see the line better. Take your time with coping saw. It is not a race. And it does not matter how nice the backside of the cope looks. I usually have a tablesaw handy to knock down anything I think might help the final fit.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #39
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Nebe, I will butt end both ends of wall opposite entry to room as first piece to install. Then cope left and right, looking for where outside miter joint or long wall requires mid joint to prevent doing a double ended coped piece

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #40
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
A couple thoughts on crown molding, which I have done a lot of;

Check ceiling lines first for level. If level, easy peasy. But if you put your eyes up at ceiling level you will find sighting 4 out of 5 will make you seasick... If delta is less than .5 inch, caulk between top of crown and ceiling.

Be sure you have a tall enough fence on your miter saw and mark or tape the base for the spring angle so your joints will be consistent.

Make up 4 set up pieces and mark them inside left, inside right, outside left, outside right. These will help you to minimize mistakes when setting up your cuts, especially on inside pieces that are to be coped. I still do this every time.

Makes a pencil line on the profile after cutting. It will make coping much easier as you can see the line better. Take your time with coping saw. It is not a race. And it does not matter how nice the backside of the cope looks. I usually have a tablesaw handy to knock down anything I think might help the final fit.
Great tips ! I wish I talked to you last week.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #41
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Great tips Ross.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #42
Sea Dangles

How about putting blocks in the corners and make straight cuts!
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #43
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
How about putting blocks in the corners and make straight cuts!
Stick to fishing
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

It’s easy nowadays compared to a hand miter box, lion trimmer and hammer
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #45
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It’s easy nowadays compared to a hand miter box, lion trimmer and hammer
I still have a lion trimmer.....

Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #46
Rmarsh

Or a spiral ratchet screwdriver......still use it in the shop once in a while....for nostalgia.

In the 90's I was working as a foreman installing architectural millwork, in banks, libraries, country clubs, airports etc. Most of my crew were usually unskilled guys who could not cope prefinished 5" cherry crown moulding to save their lives. When we landed a job finishing out a five story hotel with crown moulding throughout, I suggested that we buy a machine called a Copemaster.
It will cope any moulding profile in a few seconds. With it we "precoped" left and right ends of crown moulding stock in the shop, making it easier for the installers on the job.

https://youtu.be/LWqF5r6RhyM

Last edited by Rmarsh; 06-11-2018 at 05:41 AM..
Old 06-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Or a spiral ratchet screwdriver......still use it in the shop once in a while....for nostalgia.

In the 90's I was working as a foreman installing architectural millwork, in banks, libraries, country clubs, airports etc. Most of my crew were usually unskilled guys who could not cope prefinished 5" cherry crown moulding to save their lives. When we landed a job finishing out a five story hotel with crown moulding throughout, I suggested that we buy a machine called a Copemaster.
It will cope any moulding profile in a few seconds. With it we "precoped" left and right ends of crown moulding stock in the shop, making it easier for the installers on the job.

https://youtu.be/LWqF5r6RhyM
That is an interesting machine, some setup time but it should make money.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #48
Rmarsh

Quote:
That is an interesting machine, some setup time but it should make money.
Yes....if I remember correctly it cost around $500, my company saved more than that on that one job alone. These days I'm back doing residential...still do a lot of crown moulding...but no need for copemaster.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yes....if I remember correctly it cost around $500, my company saved more than that on that one job alone. These days I'm back doing residential...still do a lot of crown moulding...but no need for copemaster.
Now it's $2495 but skill levels have not gone up

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #50
Rmarsh

Quote:
Now it's $2495 but skill levels have not gone up

When I started in the home building trade, the entire house was built without any nail guns....framing, siding, roofing, trim....all nailed by hand. Todays carpenters use a nail gun like it's an automatic weapon....way too many nails and in all the wrong places.
Also I've noticed that almost none of them have a block plane,sharpening stone, or handsaw
Old 06-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
When I started in the home building trade, the entire house was built without any nail guns....framing, siding, roofing, trim....all nailed by hand. Todays carpenters use a nail gun like it's an automatic weapon....way too many nails and in all the wrong places.
Also I've noticed that almost none of them have a block plane,sharpening stone, or handsaw
And sawzalls were for Plumbers
I had a box with 4 handsaws

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #52
Nebe

Things ain’t like they yusta wuz.....

Laid flown my floor trim yesterday. I guess that is when you discover how uneven your subfloor is... 😆
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #53
Guppy
User

Quote:
Me too.... my shoulder still hurts from nailing off the ceiling strapping...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:09 AM   #54
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Me too.... my shoulder still hurts from nailing off the ceiling strapping...

Yeah Gup...that underhanded nailing was a tough job for me as a scrawney 18 yr. old....but I did learn to hammer left handed once my right arm went numb......and driving 16d nails in all day long... with a 22 oz hammer...after the first six months my blisters turned to calluses.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #55
Rmarsh

Finished up on two more....The furniture style legs on the island can go either way vertically...customers choice.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 AM..
Old 06-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #56
Nebe

So clean. Does the home owner hire you or are you hired by a designer to execute their concept?
I make pendant lighting for kitchens if you ever have a client that wants something very unique.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #57
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
So clean. Does the home owner hire you or are you hired by a designer to execute their concept?
I make pendant lighting for kitchens if you ever have a client that wants something very unique.

I work directly for the developer/ home builder....they refer customers to kitchen design/cabinet provider...then I install with very limited contact with customer....which is just how I like it to be honest...for me.... after 45 years of doing this.... customers are usually a PIA.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #58
Nebe

Haha! I bet they are a pain in the ass.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #59
spence

Quote:
I work directly for the developer/ home builder....they refer customers to kitchen design/cabinet provider...then I install with very limited contact with customer....which is just how I like it to be honest...for me.... after 45 years of doing this.... customers are usually a PIA.
This is the problem I have with pro builders is when you don't get to hover over their shoulder. You see something you think isn't being done right, it's easy to google an expert YouTube video on how to do it on your iPad so you can just show them the right way. They're never very happy about it.

spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #60
Rmarsh

A customer recently told me he had spent 80 grand on his cabinets and appliances and told me my installation had to be perfect. I do good work but not perfect and i told him so. All I can do is my best.
I also told him it wasnt too late to get someone else.