Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #61
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

This clown is all about control and making family money.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
sounds like the clintons...at least trump doesn't have people killed...yet
Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
sounds like the clintons...at least trump doesn't have people killed...yet
hang on, CNN said last week he has killed millions more than Hitler and Stalin! that’s a lot! are you suggesting that’s not accurate? typical trumplican.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #63
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
hang on, CNN said last week he has killed millions more than Hitler and Stalin! that’s a lot! are you suggesting that’s not accurate? typical trumplican.
And Fox said Trump is a racist, are you suggesting that’s not accurate?
Typical

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #64
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

And Fox said Trump is a racist

Vincente?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #65
Jim in CT

Quote:
And Fox said Trump is a racist, are you suggesting that’s not accurate?
Typical
who said it, and what was the reply?

on cnn, when the guest ( head of
psychiatry at Duke) said Trump has
murdered millions, the host said
nothing. i wouldn’t hold
a network responsible
for everything a guest says, but the
hosts job is to intervene if the guest goes berserk.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
who said it, and what was the reply?

on cnn, when the guest ( head of
psychiatry at Duke) said Trump has
murdered millions, the host said
nothing. i wouldn’t hold
a network responsible
for everything a guest says, but the
hosts job is to intervene if the guest goes berserk.
When you say CNN blah blah you failed to say it was a guest, it’s just CNN said. So Stelter f’d up, it’s not like he had a Sharpie.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...this-is-insane

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #67
Pete F.
Canceled

And what she said is over the top, but Trump did say “I don’t want to kill 10 million people,” he said. “I have plans on Afghanistan that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the earth, it would be gone, it would be over in literally 10 days.” He threatened to commit genocide, just joking I guess.

Here’s what she said

"Calling Trump crazy hides the fact that we're crazy for having elected him and even crazier for allowing his crazy policies to persist," Allen Frances, the author of "Twilight of American Sanity," said on CNN's "Reliable Sources." "Trump is as destructive a person in this century as Hitler, Stalin and Mao were in the last century. He may be responsible for many more million deaths than they were. He needs to be contained, but he needs to be contained by attacking his policies, not his person."
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
When you say CNN blah blah you failed to say it was a guest, it’s just CNN said. So Stelter f’d up, it’s not like he had a Sharpie.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...this-is-insane
i failed to say it was a guest? are you feeling ok? look at
my post which you quoted for god’s sake. i said it was a guest. but the host didn’t say anything. not a word asking the guest if he was insane.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #69
detbuch

Quote:
And what she said is over the top, but Trump did say “I don’t want to kill 10 million people,” he said. “I have plans on Afghanistan that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the earth, it would be gone, it would be over in literally 10 days.” He threatened to commit genocide, just joking I guess.

Key words: "I don't want to kill 10 million people"--is that an unprovoked threat, or is it the possible outcome of an unnecessary war, or simply a bluff? You like to point out that Trump is not capable of planning ahead. Be a little consistent here. According to you, he is not able to make a plan. According to you, he is something like a psychotic liar. Surely, you must believe that here, when he says that he has a plan, he is telling a lie.

If by "genocide" you mean Webster's definition "the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group," then can we say that the destruction and elimination of the Nazis in WWII was genocide? There is a connotation in the concept of genocide as well as a denotation. Killing in defensive war is about ending the war and using whatever means necessary. It is about eliminating an enemy that wants to eliminate you. "Genocide" connotes something beyond mere war. It implies some kind of extreme hatred for a group which rises to the point of eliminating them simply because of who they are. Your use of "genocide" is deliberately connoting that Trump is some kind of murderous bigot that hates Afghans and wants to get rid of them simply because they are Afghans.

Here’s what she said

"Calling Trump crazy hides the fact that we're crazy for having elected him and even crazier for allowing his crazy policies to persist," Allen Frances, the author of "Twilight of American Sanity," said on CNN's "Reliable Sources." "Trump is as destructive a person in this century as Hitler, Stalin and Mao were in the last century. He may be responsible for many more million deaths than they were. He needs to be contained, but he needs to be contained by attacking his policies, not his person."
She is not bluffing. She is not connoting. She is not saying that she does not want to accuse Trump. She is deliberately accusing him of some unsubstantiated and obviously ridiculous possibility. Or she may be lying.

As Spence would say, "big difference."
Old 09-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Quote:
i failed to say it was a guest? are you feeling ok? look at
my post which you quoted for god’s sake. i said it was a guest. but the host didn’t say anything. not a word asking the guest if he was insane.
Feel fine, I did and it's not to be found.

You did say it in your response.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
She is not bluffing. She is not connoting. She is not saying that she does not want to accuse Trump. She is deliberately accusing him of some unsubstantiated and obviously ridiculous possibility. Or she may be lying.

As Spence would say, "big difference."
You have forgotten that nothing in Trump world is too ridiculous to be impossible. What effect did her saying that have? Did it do anything other than reinforce some people on either sides beliefs and second hand piss Jim off.

As far as Trump goes, I agree with Tillerson, Kelly and Mattis. He has no clue about foreign policy, how to negotiate or what an achievable end goal is. He is not willing to learn, since he has a very smart gut and knows better than anyone. He did threaten the Afghans with genocide.
“I have plans on Afghanistan that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the earth, it would be gone, it would be over in literally 10 days.”

Trying to spin it into 10 million means something assumes that the Stable Genius has a clue about how many people live in Afghanistan. I would surmise that it is but one of the many numbers he has made up, I know it is not exact.

I don't know where you find your definitions but the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation, is the Oxford definition of genocide.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #72
detbuch

Quote:
You have forgotten that nothing in Trump world is too ridiculous to be impossible.

Apparently, nothing in your world is too ridiculous to be impossible.

What effect did her saying that have? Did it do anything other than reinforce some people on either sides beliefs and second hand piss Jim off.

So it's not what was said, but what effect it had? What effect did what Trump said have? Did it reinforce some people on either sides beliefs and second hand get you to respond?

As far as Trump goes, I agree with Tillerson, Kelly and Mattis. He has no clue about foreign policy, how to negotiate or what an achievable end goal is. He is not willing to learn, since he has a very smart gut and knows better than anyone.

So you agree with "some people" as Ilhan might say. Whoopie.

He did threaten the Afghans with genocide.

No he didn't. He mentioned a consequence that could occur if the Taliban continued its killing. And the Taliban had a legitimate, viable, reasonable choice which most of the rest of the world would agree with. It wouldn't have to leave, or pledge allegiance to American occupation and rule. Just quit its killing ways and its attempt to overthrow the Afghan government. I don't know of genocides where the victims had a choice.

“I have plans on Afghanistan that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the earth, it would be gone, it would be over in literally 10 days.”

That would be horrific collateral damage. If he wanted to. He said he didn't want to. And he didn't. I don't believe that those who want to commit genocide provide a contingency to escape it. The intent is elimination, not compromise.

The plural "plans" indicate other plans (which you said he is not capable of). Apparently the other plans were preferred.

Trying to spin it into 10 million means something assumes that the Stable Genius has a clue about how many people live in Afghanistan. I would surmise that it is but one of the many numbers he has made up, I know it is not exact.

But Trump, according to someone you also seem to believe, is just a TV character. It's all a show. It's not real.

I don't know where you find your definitions but the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation, is the Oxford definition of genocide.
I don't know why you don't know where I found the definition. I specifically quoted Webster (common shorthand for the most prestigious American dictionary Merriam Webster). So, according to Oxford, killing a large group of Germans in WWII was genocide.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #73
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I don't know why you don't know where I found the definition. I specifically quoted Webster (common shorthand for the most prestigious American dictionary Merriam Webster). So, according to Oxford, killing a large group of Germans in WWII was genocide.
Fool, if you kill a whole nation it’s not genocide?
Good luck with that

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 AM   #74
detbuch

Quote:
Fool, if you kill a whole nation it’s not genocide?
Good luck with that
First, I went by your choice of definition by the Oxford Dictionary, as well as Webster's. By those definitions, we committed genocide. By those definitions, all wars in which large numbers of people are killed would be considered to be genocides. There is a reason that they are not, except by people who have some agenda, anti-war, hate for or ideological differences with the winners, etc. Destruction caused by war, especially defensive war against those who try to kill or destroy you, is considered horrific collateral damage. Genocide is the killing of large numbers of people with whom you are not necessarily at war with for domination or defense, but whom you wish to eliminate simply because they are who they are. We do not consider the destruction of the German state along with the killing of millions of Germans in WWI and WWII to be genocides. We didn't consider the destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima to be genocides.

Second, Your quote "I don’t want to kill 10 million people,” he said. “I have plans on Afghanistan that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the earth, it would be gone, it would be over in literally 10 days” begins with Trump saying he didn't want to kill 10 million people. That is the opposite of genocide in which the intended objective is absolutely to kill those people. Nor did Trump express any animus against Afghans or any desire to kill them all. Which is the opposite of the motivation for genocide. His quote actually, if you read it carefully, implies that he doesn't even want to have that war as in "if I wanted to win that war".

What he did imply was that among the various plans for dealing with the Taliban, there was one that could result in the destruction of the Afghan state. I would assume that if he wanted to commit genocide that he would have gone along with that plan, actually did it, basically so he could kill all the Afghans, not merely to win a war. He didn't. And it wouldn't have been considered genocide, just as the destruction of the German state in WWII was not considered genocide. He even wanted to meet with the Taliban to work things out. Which is the opposite of wanting to commit genocide.

But, by the simplistic definitions in Oxford and Webster, one could say that it would be genocide. And that our wars in Germany, and Japan, and Viet Nam were genocides. If that is what you actually think, then I have a glimmer of insight into why you think Trump threatened genocide rather than to win a war.

But, actually, I believe you chose that word for effect rather than accuracy. You like to paint everything Trump does or says as a horror show. And I think you are not only a fool for thinking that Trump actually threatened genocide, but that you are a malevolent ideologue who wants to destroy Trump--a sort of mini political and even personal "genocide" against him.

Last edited by detbuch; 09-12-2019 at 12:44 AM..
Old 09-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #75
Pete F.
Canceled

Genocide, much like Collusion is not a crime.
However the premeditated mass killing of civilians certainly is a war crime. That is what Trump threatened the Afghans with. Proportionality is a basic part of the Law of War and while Trump may think he can do whatever he wants, he would be committing a war crime. I attached a link to the DOD Law of War Manual so you can, if you like, determine which one(s) he would be charged with or how he would be exonerated.
The only plan like this that exists is in Trumps head.
As far as the feasibility of what he claimed to be able to do, it is not possible (we do not have enough bombs to totally obliterate Afghanistan), strategically insane (using all our bombs would leave us vulnerable), if you did bomb the urban centers you would leave the 22 million people in rural areas without a central government (Do you think that would radicalize them?) and therefor stupid to a Trumpian degree.
I think we should have less involvement in the Middle East. The importance of the region is much less than it was 20 years ago.
However the war in that area is not over and withdrawal is more complicated than maintaining the status quo or winning.
I have seen no evidence that Trump is capable of the required attention to details, the intellectual investment on the part of the commander in chief, and that he has a clear-eyed understanding of both our capabilities and the limits of our power to accomplish it.
I don't have to paint The Citrus Caligula as a horror show, he puts it on every day in this, the first ever, Presidential reality horror show starring Donald Trump. Coming to you on TV and Twitter.

https://archive.defense.gov/pubs/law...-june-2015.pdf

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #76
scottw

Quote:

deep thoughts
Old 09-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #77
detbuch

Quote:
However the premeditated mass killing of civilians certainly is a war crime. That is what Trump threatened the Afghans with. Proportionality is a basic part of the Law of War and while Trump may think he can do whatever he wants, he would be committing a war crime. I attached a link to the DOD Law of War Manual so you can, if you like, determine which one(s) he would be charged with or how he would be exonerated.
The only plan like this that exists is in Trumps head.
As far as the feasibility of what he claimed to be able to do, it is not possible (we do not have enough bombs to totally obliterate Afghanistan), strategically insane (using all our bombs would leave us vulnerable), if you did bomb the urban centers you would leave the 22 million people in rural areas without a central government (Do you think that would radicalize them?) and therefor stupid to a Trumpian degree.
I think we should have less involvement in the Middle East. The importance of the region is much less than it was 20 years ago.
However the war in that area is not over and withdrawal is more complicated than maintaining the status quo or winning.
I have seen no evidence that Trump is capable of the required attention to details, the intellectual investment on the part of the commander in chief, and that he has a clear-eyed understanding of both our capabilities and the limits of our power to accomplish it.
I don't have to paint The Citrus Caligula as a horror show, he puts it on every day in this, the first ever, Presidential reality horror show starring Donald Trump. Coming to you on TV and Twitter.

https://archive.defense.gov/pubs/law...-june-2015.pdf
You accuse Trump of threatening genocide. Something that is not possible is not a threat. And if genocide is not a crime, are you now changing your charge from genocide to "war crime"? And is a threat, especially an impossible one, a war crime? And you keep painting, even though you say you don't have to. You keep trying very, very, hard to do what you don't think is necessary.

Something strange is going on with you. TDS?