Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
DZ

Newport Folk Festival Review

Spent two (Saturday and Sunday) out of three days at the Newport Folk Festival. Saturday was the highlight IMO. Caught performances by The Lone Bellow (Brooklyn band with a great sound – watch for them!), Frank Turner, Langhorne Slim, Jim James (not with My Morning Jacket for this performance), Trombone Shorty (not folk but as usual blew everyone away with his sound), and topped it off with the Avett Brothers who have to be the most sincere and personable band around these days – they have fans following them from all over the country and they do not dissapoint.

Sunday was somewhat disappointing on the main stage where most of the crowd seemed to be put asleep by the performances; Tift Merritt asked the crowd if they were hung over, no we're not, it was the music Tift! Every song was laid back. Finally The Lumineers came on and woke everyone up with a rousing set from their hit album…. only to be put back asleep by an acoustic set from Beck who seems to have given up his original sound - they should not have picked him to close out the festival. If the Lumineers closed it out everyone would have been dancing back to their cars. Things were so bad on the main stage at times that I (and MANY others) escaped to the Quad stage(inside the Fort) to catch some great acts including Andrew Bird, Spirit Family Reunion, and a band that I hadn’t yet heard of named Lord Huron who just blew me away with their set – watch for them in the future!
All in all a great time spending 14 hours listening to music and “people watching”. Used lots of sunscreen and noticed that skirts/dresses worn with cowboy boots are definitely in with this crowd - and I like the look.
This Festival sold out its Saturday and Sunday Performances BEFORE it even announced its full lineups. Tough ticket but highly recommended in the future.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks Dennis for the review
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Bill L

Hey Dennis, I was at the Friday show, the other two days were sold out by the time I got around to getting my tickets. But that was ok, as Old Crow Medicine show was the reason I wanted to go and that was the day they were on. The weather sucked with rain for most of the afternoon, but we still had a great time. The event was nicely set up, with lots of good vendors to keep the wife happy and good venues.

It was tough to pick the acts, but started off with Hey Marseilles, a string/ orchestra band with a great sound. Moved up to the quad to get a brew and caught the rest of the Milk Carton Kids, kind of your traditional folk duo ala Simon and garfunkel, again sounded great and very entertaining. JD McPherson was up next on the Fort stage, not folk but more old time rock and roll or rockabilly, and he really tore it up. Feist was next, but the wife didn't want to get up in the crowd so we took a break out on the beer pier (should have went to phosphorescent in hind sight, my daughter said they were good). Finally OCMS was up, and they put on a great show. I got up pretty close, and they had everybody moving. It was the first time I've seen them, just got into them this past year, and loved it, great stage presence and showmanship. They played a few songs from Pete Seger and Lead Belly as a nice homage. It luckily stopped raining halfway though the set, but my wife was cold and wet and bailed to the car early (I stayed to the end, damned if I was going to miss it)

Show was nicely produced all around, and would have loved to have seen some of the intimate sets in the paste ruins or museum, but not enough time. I will say that it kind of stunk having to go to the designated areas away from the music to get a brew, though, but looking forward to next year already.

Carolina Chocolate Drops at Rythym and Roots is next on the docket!
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
bassballer

I was on the water for Sunday and no one could get into it for most of the day. More partying then listening. Until the lumineers came on. Everyone got quite, stood at their boats and sang along. Was a great Newport moment. One of those many times that your glad you live here.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
DZ

Still not sure I like the beer areas being separate from the main concert areas. But I guess it keeps the obnoxious drunks from spilling beer on other people which is a good thing. Very well behaved crowd for the most part. Another band that was giving out free CDs was The Wheeler Brothers who were also very good.
Anyone interested in some videos and full concert audio tracks can go to this NPR site. My wife and I are in the Avett Brothers video around the 1:05 mark - just look for the old guy with a gray beard in the front row of the young crowd. Music just brings my youth back - just love it.

http://www.npr.org/series/newport-folk-festival/

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Nebe

Nice Dennis..

I was going to launch my hobie at battery park and work my way over to the festival on sunday but i had second thoughts after thinking about the chaos that goes on around the fort... I have personally seen some nasty boating accidents at the festivals.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Just look for the old guy with a gray beard in the front row of the young crowd. Music just brings my youth back - just love it.

http://www.npr.org/series/newport-folk-festival/

DZ
Good post, thanks for the video..

And to quote My Cousin Vinny 'Yeah, you blend"

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Bill L

Dennis, I was checking out the NPR site last night. They have a page for the festival in GIFs, I did a double take at the girls dancing. My daughter is behind them in the red skirt and boots, and my other daughter is in the crowd behind!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Nice Dennis..

I was going to launch my hobie at battery park and work my way over to the festival on sunday but i had second thoughts after thinking about the chaos that goes on around the fort... I have personally seen some nasty boating accidents at the festivals.
Eben I was boat over from a 23 searay slamming into a guys brand new 21' Parker. Idiots wife was drunk trying to back down on the anchor and never took it out of reverse. Drilled this guys hull. State Police boat came right over, tied up to them and drove towards Fort adams ramp. BUSTED!
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
Bill L

This year's lineup is starting to be released. Saturday is already sold out with only three bands announced!