Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

top coat

Anyone ever try this for a final finish? Just curious. P.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...%5Epage%7EGRID

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
tobias

Tagger has. It's a love/hate relationship. Hopefully Ed will chime in.
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've been using their Clear Coat product which is very fussy stuff and takes a long time to dry.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
eastendlu

I use it on some of my stuff Paul it the best out of the three mirror then clear then sb112.Its also the hardest to work with but its tough as nails and the finish is nice.Its very temp. fussy and also have to mix it up perfectly (no porblem for a machinist).I give it 2 thumbs up but their are many that have had nightmares with it.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

the search goes on, wer'e all nuts.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Used it plenty... thats SB112 ,, Best to work with in July and August...It also has a yellow hue.. looks like goat barf on a pearl white plug .. It is tough stuff ,,, bounced plugs off rocks with no damage,, also ruined a bunch of plugs using it .. Mac got some ... he hated it so much he made me buy it off him . Get a small supply if you want to try .. I might be better with it now .. better measuring and mixing habits ,, Still don't like the yellow tint though .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Jigman

I've used their clear coat before. Good stuff. Like the other guys said, it can be temp fussy. Likes to be in 70-75 degrees while mixing/curing. Gotta make sure it is well mixed too. I found it best to mix it for a minute or two, get my plugs ready for clearing, mix again, pop a beer open, then a final mix before hitting the plugs. No problem coating 12 striper sized plugs and getting them on the spinner before it started to set up.

If you want to keep from driving yourself crazy with this stuff, pick a clear coat that you like and is easy to obtain. If your plug is any good, the clear will look like crap after a while anyway.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I usually use their Mirror coat and have had no problems so far. I tried E-tex the other day and didn't like it. Too thick and I couldn't get the bubbles out no matter how much I huffed and puffed. PNG its all yours at a great price. I prefer the thinner stuff for some reason. I guess I will stick to the Mirror coat. I may try the clear coat but I was wondering about the surfboard stuff. I figured it would wear better but if it is yellow I will not bother. If the Suncure would not be so much trouble to apply smooth, thick stuff, and the finish was a little clearer I would use that as it is very hard and kicks in less than a min. Oh well like Jigman said stick to what you like. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Nebe

professor, you can avoid bubbles in envirotex if you stir slowly with a stir stick that is non porous- i make my own out of glass- no bubbles at all.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
professor, you can avoid bubbles in envirotex if you stir slowly with a stir stick that is non porous- i make my own out of glass- no bubbles at all.
I agree, I also found that warming the plugs and the mixture( I think I've seen this stated like a hundred times before) makes it very thin and workable, I find that the thin coat produces almost no bubbles, and those few that are present dissapate on their own...

And to ecco the others, when you find something that works for you... stick with it...
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yeah mixing is probably important. I am used to Mirrorcoat and my mix is all bubbles but they come right out because the stuff is way thinner and sets up way slower, at least when I used the e-tex, so bubbles are no problem to get out of MC. I am going to stick to Mirrorcoat and get rid of the e-tex I think. I am sick of trying new crap, until something new comes down the pike .

Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #12
hunan

i use e-tex paul, whatya got?

no signature required.
hunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #13
gone fishin

Paul - you should give it a chance again. Heat it as everyone says and don't worry about the bubbles. I like to use a cup of hot water and immerse the container of e-tex in it as I work the stuff. I use a spinner and can do 30 or more plugs at a shot.

For the bubbles. Don't worry about them as you work, after coating all plugs I use a propane torch and sweep the bottom of the spinning plugs for sometime (about a minute). This eliminates all the bubbles and you can actually see the finish smooth out.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
John E
Who stole my fish???

I use System Three Mirror Coat. I find it to be the most user friendly friendly. I've also used the Clear Coat and had mixed success. I had to recoat to many plugs due to dry spots. It's tough stuff but, not worth it to me. E-Tex is just to thick for me.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote