Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
spence

Snow and rain - mitigation ideas

Just noticed we're going to hover around freezing all week then the temp goes way up Friday with over an inch of rain.

This is going to be a mess. Gutters are all frozen and I have feet of snow piled up on the east side of my house which has a poor grade. With shrubs, snow removal would be problematic.

Any ideas? Last time anything like this happened I had water pouring through the sills into my cellar.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

While not ideal, you need to give the water a place to go that is easier to get to than the cellar. Might be as simple as one shovel wide ditch in the snow drift...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
While not ideal, you need to give the water a place to go that is easier to get to than the cellar. Might be as simple as one shovel wide ditch in the snow drift...
Yes, plan to cut some swales but it's not ideal.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, plan to cut some swales but it's not ideal.
I'd say screw the shrubs, if you damage them a bit, they will recover. remove what you can and make some pathways for the water.

I put ice-melt into stockings before and threw them up onto the roof/gutter area last time I was worried about this. melted some channels for the water at least.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Redsoxticket

Pitch a tarp on the east side of house to channel the rain away and to provide shade for a slower melt.

Last edited by Redsoxticket; 01-08-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Pitch a tarp on the east side of house to channel the rain away and to provide shade for a slower melt.
Interesting idea but I think there's just too much surface area to try and cover. I think I'm just going to dig some channels toward the drain and pray.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Sounds like a plan to solve the immediate problem, I'd buy a couple of big bags of icemelt also, calling someone to do the work this coming season would be a start on a permanent solution.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

you could try spray foaming the sills but water will find it's way in the path of least resistance so might be futile since you say it's problematic to get to the area from outside.

I hope you have a pump in case

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
you could try spray foaming the sills but water will find it's way in the path of least resistance so might be futile since you say it's problematic to get to the area from outside.

I hope you have a pump in case
I need to insulate the sills regardless. Old house and they leak cold air badly. Not sure the best way to go about this. Access from the cellar is good though.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Pic?
Poured foundation or stone? Condition of sills? Any chance you are going to have to replace any rotted sections? If not, spray foam from inside. Stuffing fiberglass batts in there tight is a less expensive way to go. Need to see outside grade to have an opinion on mitigation.... Maybe a temporary outside sump in a bucket? That blower would have come in handy to cut your pathways.... Just cut a path in my front yard to rake the snow off my roof.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Pic?
Poured foundation or stone? Condition of sills? Any chance you are going to have to replace any rotted sections? If not, spray foam from inside. Stuffing fiberglass batts in there tight is a less expensive way to go. Need to see outside grade to have an opinion on mitigation.... Maybe a temporary outside sump in a bucket? That blower would have come in handy to cut your pathways.... Just cut a path in my front yard to rake the snow off my roof.
Stone rubble foundation for most of the house with a concrete foundation for an addition added in the late 80's. Main house is 1860 and the foundation and the old sills are in good shape. I don't have water issues with those as the grading is good, they just leak air badly. It's the addition on the east side that's the water problem as the grade is basically flat from the house to the driveway. I wish they would have made that room a step up and gave me an extra foot of foundation.

There is a drain system in the driveway but getting water to it is an issue.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
Sea Dangles

Jeff,why not just eliminate the snow with a roof rake
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #13
basswipe

Not for nothing but you bought a house that is almost 160yrs old.Screw the band-aid fixes,at some point you're going have to spend $$$,get it done and get it done right.Been in this business way to long to tell you anything different.

For the moment do what you have to do...but don't wait to long.Think about the fact you've been in this house for a short while...the issues you are experiencing have been happening long before you got there,the damage you don't see is probably much more than you think.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Jeff,why not just eliminate the snow with a roof rake
Roof snow isn't the issue.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Not for nothing but you bought a house that is almost 160yrs old.Screw the band-aid fixes,at some point you're going have to spend $$$,get it done and get it done right.Been in this business way to long to tell you anything different.

For the moment do what you have to do...but don't wait to long.Think about the fact you've been in this house for a short while...the issues you are experiencing have been happening long before you got there,the damage you don't see is probably much more than you think.
Water issues have more to do with the addition than the old structure which is rock solid. It's not a chronic issue...just the addition of snow and rain together create a situation.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #16
Nebe

Has anyone mentioned digging a French drain around your house? Dig down c couple of feet deep, lay in a 4” perforated pvc pipe, then fill with gravel. Link it to your driveway drain.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Has anyone mentioned digging a French drain around your house? Dig down c couple of feet deep, lay in a 4” perforated pvc pipe, then fill with gravel. Link it to your driveway drain.
I don't think that would help. Ground is still frozen...it's really a grade issue I don't see any way to easily fix. Sill plate is too low on the addition.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Ultimately, that is the solution, along with re-grading. You should actually start calling for estimates and have them see the issue in the winter time as well....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
basswipe

Quote:
Sill plate is too low on the addition
I'm surprised this was not picked up on by the inspector before you bought.

Quote:
It's not a chronic issue...just the addition of snow and rain together create a situation
Its chronic.It will happen every single time when the situation is created.

You bought a 160yr old house with an edition,this is why I said what I said.It was never going to be easy or cheap but you need to get it done and done right.You need to get hold of a licensed general contractor.

Last edited by basswipe; 01-09-2018 at 05:14 PM..
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Check to make sure Home owners insurance is paid up to date.
Crack open a gas valve in the basement, light a handful of candles on the 1st floor, gather up the whole family & head out on vacation, lock the doors behind you.... problem solved !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Check to make sure Home owners insurance is paid up to date.
Crack open a gas valve in the basement, light a handful of candles on the 1st floor, gather up the whole family & head out on vacation, lock the doors behind you.... problem solved !
And if you hate your wife, lock her in th closet
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote