Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #31
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Except a Space Force is federal - which was left out of the link / stats you provided

So the Red states are more likely to have more Public Sector Employees.

Now let's do the states that pay most on average. Bet you won't guess which ones they are. I wonder of the red states can afford more public employees?

https://thestacker.com/stories/354/b...c-employees#51

I guess cost of living isn't a consideration in your eyes
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
You dont understand the private sector does a job they have no obligation to thank people like you who for what ever reason think they should get a pat on the back for paying the same taxes they do the arrogance is stunning
Public sector employees derive wealth from taxes (yes you pay taxes too, but you are on the receiving end as well). Private sector employees see a loss of wealth from taxes. Is that going too fast?

Not sure what you are saying, but I have worked both in the private sector and the public sector, and I always felt grateful to those who funded my income.

Public sector employees have a deeper obligation to their customers (the pubic), because unlike the private sector (where you must make customers freely choose to give you their money), in the public sector, you forcibly confiscate money from your customers (neighbors) with the force of law. You therefore have a higher duty not to rip people off. But your union does exactly that, by demanding your neighbors pay a good chunk of the price tag for benefits that they will never, ever see. You feel entitled to demand that your neighbors pay for benefit t hat they will never see. I don't get where that sense of entitlement comes from.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
You generally don't have a point when you think you do is the point. You throw out nonsense as if it is fact. If it wasn't you, I might suggest you have 20-30 children. Think of all those potential lives you are preventing by limiting your procreation.
"You generally don't have a point "

Die-hard liberals often fail to see points that are based on common sense, logic, and a desire for everyone (not just me) to thrive.

"You throw out nonsense "

Sometimes I do, unfortunately. Not usually.

"I might suggest you have 20-30 children"

Here in the People's Republic Of Konnecticut, thanks to liberalism, my 3 are about all I can afford. I wish I could have 4 or 5.

"Think of all those potential lives you are preventing by limiting your procreation"

Based on what I see in my kids, it is indeed society's loss. we could use a lot more people like them.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #34
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"You generally don't have a point "

Die-hard liberals often fail to see points that are based on common sense, logic, and a desire for everyone (not just me) to thrive.

"You throw out nonsense "

Sometimes I do, unfortunately. Not usually.

"I might suggest you have 20-30 children"

Here in the People's Republic Of Konnecticut, thanks to liberalism, my 3 are about all I can afford. I wish I could have 4 or 5.

"Think of all those potential lives you are preventing by limiting your procreation"

Based on what I see in my kids, it is indeed society's loss. we could use a lot more people like them.
You should consider moving. It is really sad. Think of all those lives. You could also get another job or save by not paying for charter trips. Cut back a little, you know? Do it for those potential lives that are lost every year. If this is important to you, do whatever you can to make it happen.

Also, I have no doubt your kids are wonderful. My kids are also greatly influenced by their mother and many kids turn out well despite us
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
You should consider moving. It is really sad. Think of all those lives. You could also get another job or save by not paying for charter trips. Cut back a little, you know? Do it for those potential lives that are lost every year. If this is important to you, do whatever you can to make it happen.

Also, I have no doubt your kids are wonderful. My kids are also greatly influenced by their mother and many kids turn out well despite us
"You should consider moving"

I have considered it, thanks...my elderly parents live a mile away, my wife who stays at home helps them with all manner of chores...they aren't moving, and they'd be cosmically screwed if I left. I could do more for my kids if we moved, but I can't do anything for my parents if we moved.

"It is really sad"

What's sad is that thanks to the exact policies you support, I am in the awesome position of getting to choose between my responsibility to my children, and my responsibility to my parents, to whom I owe everything. It's a great spot to be in. And all thanks to liberal economics.

"many kids turn out well despite us "

Certainly true in my case!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
You could also get another job or save by not paying for charter trips. Cut back a little, you know? Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I did the math, I am good at this math. I could move to NH, and pocket more than $900 a month, every month, for the rest of my career, 20 years. And that's based on today. In the near future, CT will become more expensive relative to NH, as we raise taxes again and again.

There's no way I could cut back enough to generate that kind of scratch every month. The penalty we pay to live in CT, is enormous. With very little to show for it.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #37
Nebe

Spacewaffen special wooops.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #38
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Beam me up Scotty
Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #39
zimmy

Quote:
I did the math, I am good at this math.
Ok, Donald

Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ok, Donald
Come on, I'm not that much of an egomaniac.

NH has no state income tax. You don't need to be Stephen Hawking to figure out how that helps you, you go to your latest tax return and see what you paid in state income taxes.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #41
zimmy

I know this is redundant... But it isn't that simple. Depends on lots of other things, like your occupation. If you are a plumber in CT, average salary is 61000 a year and in New Hampshire it is 53000 a year. Your house costs more here, but in the end you have a house that is worth more. There are too many variables to have a valid conclusion based on one single variable. Based on your math skills, you already know that
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
I know this is redundant... But it isn't that simple. Depends on lots of other things, like your occupation. If you are a plumber in CT, average salary is 61000 a year and in New Hampshire it is 53000 a year. Your house costs more here, but in the end you have a house that is worth more. There are too many variables to have a valid conclusion based on one single variable. Based on your math skills, you already know that
Of course the exact savings depends on many things. I did the research. Like many people, thanks to telecommuting, I can keep my same job at the same exact salary, and move to NH. I know what I paid in state income tax, I have a really good estimate what I paid in state sales tax, I can look at comparable houses to see what the change in property tax would be. I can, and did, also talk to people I know who moved from CT to NH, and every single one of them told me they saved more than expected, because they didn't know they'd also save on car tax, gas tax, electricity tax, etc.

There is some speculation involved. All of the math, and every speck of common sense, suggests that massive tax hikes are coming in CT, which will stifle real estate appreciation.

And the University of NH is currently $7,000 a year less for in state residents, than UCONN is. For my 3 kids, that's another 84k in my pocket. And that ignores that UCONN just announced tuition will increase 31% in the next 4 years.

I looked at way more than one variable,

I'm not wrong, no chance. I can't tell you exactly what I'd save in 20 years, but I know it would be more than 200k. In my pocket.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #43
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The problem is that once again Trump doesn't understand that he does not rule.
He cannot create anything, he needs Congress to do it.
He can create many things, he can executive order many things. If you want them to stick then you need to go through Congress. As we see with a lot of O's great achievements with the Pen, the current administration can undo them. If it is good for the country, have Congress pass it into law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I will admit that I don't understand why we need NASA, Air Force and Space Force as separate entities. They seem to be redundant and on the development and operations sides the personnel would be very similar.
NASA should keep up with peaceful exploration, the military in space will need to break things, or prevent other nation states from breaking ours. There was once a great stride in non-militarization of space, we are behind. It will cost us big if there is a peer level conflict. It ain't pretty but it is fact. The US, for all our many faulkts and warts, are FAR better on the world stage than RUS/PRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I guess cost of living isn't a consideration in your eyes
Very much so, and it is reflected in our taxes. You pay taxes? Funny how all those backwards, redneck places can provide good services for their citizens, and we pay through the nose and have billions in unfunded liabilities.

I guess your state & towns living within their means isn't a consideration in your eyes.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #44
zimmy

Quote:

I'm not wrong, no chance. I can't tell you exactly what I'd save in 20 years, but I know it would be more than 200k. In my pocket.
Total tax burden CT is about 12.6%, nh, 7.9%. https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...s-publications

You would save 4.7% per year, ignoring any differences in federal deductions. To save 200k over 20 years at 4.7% means you would have an annual income over those 20 years of $212,766. You are doing very well. You can afford another kid or two. Unless your math is wrong, but no chance of that.
By the way Jim, a plumber or most other workers who aren't telecommuting are likely going to end up better off here in CT where salaries are higher. They will have more net income after taxes, more retirement savings, etc.

Last edited by zimmy; 06-20-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #45
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Total tax burden CT is about 12.6%, nh, 7.9%. https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...s-publications

You would save 4.7% per year, ignoring any differences in federal deductions. To save 200k over 20 years at 4.7% means you would have an annual income over those 20 years of $212,766. You are doing very well. You can afford another kid or two. Unless your math is wrong, but no chance of that.

He was including the 84k he would have saved having kids at UNH -v- UCONN which means he is down to 116k for the numbers you are working with - so the numbers drop a bit.

Not sure 6 more weeks of winter are worth the difference ; )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #46
zimmy

Quote:
He was including the 84k he would have saved having kids at UNH -v- UCONN which means he is down to 116k for the numbers you are working with - so the numbers drop a bit.

His math there is even more astounding. UConn tuition and fees is $28604, UNH is $28562. Not sure that adds up to 84k, but...

Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #47
spence

Quote:
NASA should keep up with peaceful exploration, the military in space will need to break things, or prevent other nation states from breaking ours. There was once a great stride in non-militarization of space, we are behind. It will cost us big if there is a peer level conflict. It ain't pretty but it is fact. The US, for all our many faulkts and warts, are FAR better on the world stage than RUS/PRC
You do realize this whole thing is just another diversion from all the terrible Trump news he's getting pummeled with right?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You do realize this whole thing is just another diversion from all the terrible Trump news he's getting pummeled with right?
6/19/2018

"Popularity: President Trump can't get a break from negative press coverage, but somehow his approval rating continues to edge upward. In fact, it's now tied with where the "extremely popular" President Obama was at this point in his first term.

The latest Gallup poll puts Trump's job approval at 45%. That's the highest it's been since he took office, and it's up from 37% at the start of the year. Although you'd barely know it from the press Trump gets, his approval number has been on a slow but relatively steady rise all year.

Not only that, but Trump's approval in this poll is now equal to Obama's at the same point in Obama's presidency. Gallup had Obama at 45% approval by late June 2010.

The difference is that while Trump's approval has been climbing, Obama's was dropping steadily over the course of his first term."

Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #49
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
6/19/2018

The difference is that while Trump's approval has been climbing, Obama's was dropping steadily over the course of his first term."

Yeah, cause Obama started at 69%. His low, was about Trumps high. He averaged almost 54, nearly 9 points higher than Trumps "highest of his presidency." I do like the comparison.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #50
scottw

Quote:
Yeah, cause Obama started at 69%. His low, was about Trumps high. He averaged almost 54, nearly 9 points higher than Trumps "highest of his presidency." I do like the comparison.
of course Obama benefitted from perpetual toe s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g propaganda from the media(and Spence) while Trump is perpetually beaten over the head....

Last edited by scottw; 06-20-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:

By the way Jim, a plumber or most other workers who aren't telecommuting are likely going to end up better off here in CT where salaries are higher. They will have more net income after taxes, more retirement savings, etc.
You quoted average percentages. I looked at the exact percentages that apply in my individual case (property taxes, for example, vary widely by town). Which is more pertinent, the average, or what actually applies to me?

Also, thanks to liberalism, CT I sfacing projected deficits next year of $4 billion, with total unfunded debt of $75 billion (works out to exactly $25,000 for every human being in the state..so taxes will continue to go up)

And the capping of federal deductions for state/local taxes. also makes NH more attractive.

I'm not wrong when I say there are far cheaper places to live, which offer a great quality o flife. You want to make it wrong, because you can't bring yourself to admit that conservative states have figured out how to offer a good quality of life with low taxes, and liberal states cannot pull that off. Huge numbers of New Englanders are moving to these states, especially the Carolinas, Florida, GA, TX. That is fact.

If your agenda cannot withstand the recognition of irrefutable, empirical evidence, you may want to re-think your agenda.

The CT state income tax is around 5% or so, sales tax is 6.5%. Imagine if you got back 5% of very dollar you made, and 6.5% of every dollar you spent, plus cheaper gas tax, electricity tax, car tax, cheaper public university. You deny that's a lot of money over a lifetime?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-20-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:

"He was including the 84k he would have saved having kids at UNH -v- UCONN which means he is down to 116k for the numbers you are working with - so the numbers drop a bit."

Correct. It would be more than $250k over 20 years, and that's based on today. CT will get more expensive relative to NH.

"Not sure 6 more weeks of winter are worth the difference"

There is that. We love to ski. I'd move to a town very close to Lake Sunapee, beautiful lake in the summer, great skiing in the winter. Top notch public schools.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
His math there is even more astounding. UConn tuition and fees is $28604, UNH is $28562. Not sure that adds up to 84k, but...
I match your UCONN number to the dollar. For UNH, I have 15,140 for in-state tuition & fees, 5,776 for a triple room, 7,220 for a double room. And UCONN is going up 31% in the next 4 years.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Plumbers cannot take their salary with them from CT to NH, that's for sure.

"are likely going to end up better off here in CT where salaries are higher. They will have more net income after taxes"

Not if the cost of living increase, more than offsets the salary increase.

Why are so many people moving to conservative states? Are they all too stupid to see that their net income is higher here in CT? Are they all masochists?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #55
zimmy

Quote:
I match your UCONN number to the dollar. For UNH, I have 15,140 for in-state tuition & fees, 5,776 for a triple room, 7,220 for a double room. And UCONN is going up 31% in the next 4 years.
I know there is no chance of this, but your numbers are wrong. You don't have room AND board. After all tuition room and board and fees:

UNH next year Cost of Attendance $33,750
https://www.unh.edu/financialaid/costs

UCONN 2018-2019
Subtotal Direct Costs (Plus Waivable Fees) $31,812
http://admissions.uconn.edu/cost-aid/tuition

Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #56
zimmy

Quote:
"He was including the 84k he would have saved having kids at UNH -v- UCONN which means he is down to 116k for the numbers you are working with - so the numbers drop a bit."

Correct. It would be more than $250k over 20 years, and that's based on today. CT will get more expensive relative to NH.

Completely and totally wrong.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #57
zimmy

Quote:
You quoted average percentages. I looked at the exact percentages that apply in my individual case (property taxes, for example, vary widely by town). Which is more pertinent, the average, or what actually applies to me?
I don't know where you live in CT, but you in general have been making stuff up based on how you feel, not real data. I really hope it isn't true that you do a job that involves numbers. Maybe you would save some money moving to New Hampshire, but your case is a very specific case of a persone who "telecomutes." 250K is an absolute bs lie unless you are in the million plus salary range and based on the number skills and analysis you put out here, there is no way that is the case. That is unless someone gave you a small loan of a million dollars to start a business back int he 1980's. New Hampshire has taxes. They don't have income tax so they make up for it with other taxes. They have to pay for stuff. Their state university is almost identical, if not higher than UCONN. Stop misinterpreting or making things up than pretending I am off on this.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #58
zimmy

Quote:

Why are so many people moving to conservative states? Are they all too stupid to see that their net income is higher here in CT?
Likely not all of them.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #59
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
of course Obama benefitted from perpetual toe s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g propaganda from the media(and Spence) while Trump is perpetually beaten over the head....
Right. No one watches fox news or uses the internet

Old 06-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #60
scottw

Quote:
Right. No one watches fox news or uses the internet
it's mostly liberals that watch FOX news so they can feign indignation over what may be said there...that's about it...Obama was the messiah...Trump is satan...they poll differently as you'd expect