Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Humpback through CCC

I was on the phone a couple times with my brother today as he was bringing his 1957 Beals Island lobster boat from Marblehead to Marion. He called to let me know he had made it to the canal entrance when the phone got dropped and I heard him yell out something in his excitement. When he picked the phone up he told me that a whale had surfaced directly in front of him, forcing his emergency course correction.
Channel 5 just had a report, complete with drone video, of a 40' traversing the canal today. Just texted him to say it wasn't a porpoise (as he wondered) and he wasn't high...….

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
Nebe

WHAT IS THAT THING JAY!?!?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Liv2Fish

Saw a little one feeding right up on shore just around the corner from the power plant mid day last week.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
t.orlando

Poor whale.....probably has 50 Gags jigs stuck in its back by now
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I was fishing Pips Rip several years ago and as I was doing so I noticed the harbor patrol boats and Coast Guard boats zipping nearby as they were turning boats away from the entrance to the east end......as I stood in knee deep water I watched as a huge (if I remember correctly) right whale came swimming by not 50 feet from where I stood! It was amazing! Pretty sure it was a right whale as all the hubbub was about how rare they were!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I was fishing Pips Rip several years ago and as I was doing so I noticed the harbor patrol boats and Coast Guard boats zipping nearby as they were turning boats away from the entrance to the east end......as I stood in knee deep water I watched as a huge (if I remember correctly) right whale came swimming by not 50 feet from where I stood! It was amazing! Pretty sure it was a right whale as all the hubbub was about how rare they were!
They chased me away that day, said I was too close, asked if he played golf , he replied no, I says I do and I know what 500 yards looks like,,, he says it’s 1500 yards, NOT

Quite a sight though....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
Saw a little one feeding right up on shore just around the corner from the power plant mid day last week.
I was spashed by one many years ago while fishing with my wife just east of the power plant . I was drentched !
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote