Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #31
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
Great Election season, another round of pointless arguments that will upset people destroy friendships and help us all focus intenly about what is wrong with America. Trump sucks, Dems suck. Meanwhile this great country and people chug in oblivious to the hacks (both parties) that we foolishly elect. Until we have term limits and break up the lobysists and legal insider trading nothing will change.
What he said!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

What I see is they spent 5 million to win a seat in a district that was considered a safe Republican one.
Multiply that by the number of open seats and consider that the master tweeter has started a battle with the Koch brothers and everyone else that doesn’t agree with him completely
How do you think that’s gonna work
Old 08-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What I see is they spent 5 million to win a seat in a district that was considered a safe Republican one.
Multiply that by the number of open seats and consider that the master tweeter has started a battle with the Koch brothers and everyone else that doesn’t agree with him completely
How do you think that’s gonna work
He doesn't play well with folks who aren't inclined to kiss his ring, much like his predecessor.

The democrats will most likely gain seats in the house, good chance they retake the house. They most likely lose seats in the Senate. Curious to see what happens at the state level, especially here in CT.

I'm also curious to see what happens if the GDP growth is another big number next quarter, which will be right before the midterms. Might not be enough to save the GOP lead in the house.

Starting a civil war with the Koch brothers might not be a great strategy.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

There are some honest politicians
https://youtu.be/zw30izSSCsw
Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
How about . . . ushering in one of the most corrupt administrations we've ever seen

Has this been verified? Is this opinion, hearsay, spin, innuendo, a lie?

How about undermining long-standing institutions like the FBI and freedom of the press?

Trump made the FBI ineffective, or incapable, or obsolete? According to you, and PeteF, it is about to bring down a presidency? That seems extremely strong, effective, in no way undermined. If anything, according to that, Trump actually sharpened its knives. Are you trying to have it both ways?

And I'm trying to figure out how Trump has in any way weakened the freedom of the Press. It daily "exposes" Trump and convinces you and Pete and wdmso and Nebe and Got Stripers that Trump is totally corrupt, incompetent, stupid, a clown, a con man, a traitor, a sexual deviant like no other, a pathological liar, a psychopath, while it is in no way prevented or diminished from doing so. It seems that Trump has, rather than undermining Press Freedom, he has also sharpened its knives. Again, are you trying to have it both ways.

How about House Republicans failing to fulfill their oversight obligations and instead acting as the Presidents patsy?

Wow!! The President's patsies? Obama had his House Democrats solidly behind him but were not patsies, Trump has a good number of enemies in his party's House, but they're patsies.

The Republican House oversight is fulfilling its obligations as it sees it by trying to get at the truth of charges against Trump and charges of FBI and Department of Justice malfeasance. That you don't like what they're doing, in your eyes, gives you the authority to say they are patsies. Seems to me more like you are spinning.

How about his abhorrent treatment of children and families at the border?

Following the law, which others did before him (but not as "abhorrently" in your spinning eyes), can be a bitch. The law does abhorrent things to people every day . . . but that doesn't bring a tear to your eyes. The notion that it was abhorrent looks, to me, to be another daily abhorrent attempt by anti Trump media (you know, fake news) to paint the Prez with all that bad stuff you believe . . . or swallow.

How about his neglect of our national security failing to address election meddling?

He has "addressed" it. Obviously not to your liking. Do you find it strange that this "meddling" is just now requiring attention? He has been addressing our national security more forcefully, in some ways, than his predecessor.

How about his dishonesty surrounding multiple affairs?

Pretty common, to be expected. What . . . do you expect him to be more honest about it than the parade of past President's? Or the past President's wives who knew but buttoned their lips or denied or aggressively tried to destroy the aggrieved women? Would you have thought better of Trump if he said yeah, I did it? Would that have stopped you, or the fake news, from hating Trump?

How about his embrace of our adversaries while pissing on our allies?

You're, on purpose, using the words "embrace" and "pissing," and if you were honest, which I don't think you are, you would know those are false characterizations.

I could go on for pages with this stuff and little of it has to do with partisan politics.

Have you seen his rallies lately? "I'd rather be Russian than a democrat" shirts, QAnon everywhere...if this is the future of the GOP be afraid.
I have probably seen a lot more of his rallies than you have. They are far more diverse than the stinky little pigeon hole you want to cram them into. You're a lot like fake news, you see only what you want, and spin it in the most demeaning and false ways to trash it.

if this is the future of the GOP be afraid.[/QUOTE]

And then, you do exactly what you accuse Trump of doing, you try to arouse fear.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-08-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 AM   #36
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I have probably seen a lot more of his rallies than you have. They are far more diverse than the stinky little pigeon hole you want to cram them into. You're a lot like fake news, you see only what you want, and spin it in the most demeaning and false ways to trash it.

if this is the future of the GOP be afraid.

And then, you do exactly what you accuse Trump of doing, you try to arouse fear.
[/QUOTE]

Your in the I am just here for the supreme court seat Crowd ..

I would love to see and hear what is your definition far more diverse at Trumps rally means ...

let me guess this https://news.iheart.com/featured/rus...-of-the-crowd/

http://www.capitalgazette.com/multim...6693-132.html#

I guess theres the proof ...
Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
There are some honest politicians
https://youtu.be/zw30izSSCsw
Would have voted from him hands down.. But being an ultra liberal (By SB standards ) I would have been accused of trying to Save the White Rino's who are facing extinction. in the New GOP
Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Would have voted from him hands down.. But being an ultra liberal (By SB standards ) I would have been accused of trying to Save the White Rino's who are facing extinction. in the New GOP
on what basis would you say that moderate conservatives are facing extinction?

we can’t all be as united as your party. no confluctbthere between the moderates and the extremists, nope. there is pure harmony in the left, and a brutal civil war on the right, which will result in the democrats running everything come november. do i have that right?

trump and the koch brothers are at odds. those are two powerful forces in the GOP. but moderates in both sides are more electable, than extremists, in most places.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #39
Jim in CT

the democrats, needing a convenient excuse as to why they apparently lost, are blaming the green party candidate. but since the green party candidate received a smaller number of votes than would close the gap between the republican and the democrat, thisnis some interesting math. because when i was in elementary school, i was taught that 1,700 > 1,000. butbthats me, what do i know about anything.

ANYTHING to avoid admitting that you can’t win ‘em all, and this was one of those that you simply lost. Democrats always need an outside force to blame, liberalism commands that they not consider that they are responsible for anything, they must have had their rightful victory stolen by another entity. they didn’t lose, they were robbed. Always.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
the democrats, needing a convenient excuse as to why they apparently lost, are blaming the green party candidate. but since the green party candidate received a smaller number of votes than would close the gap between the republican and the democrat, thisnis some interesting math. because when i was in elementary school, i was taught that 1,700 > 1,000. butbthats me, what do i know about anything.

ANYTHING to avoid admitting that you can’t win ‘em all, and this was one of those that you simply lost. Democrats always need an outside force to blame, liberalism commands that they not consider that they are responsible for anything, they must have had their rightful victory stolen by another entity. they didn’t lose, they were robbed. Always.
Who is claiming this other than fox and the Washington examiner
From Fox
“Green Party spoiler candidate in Ohio special election claims to be descended from aliens
By Katelyn Caralle | Washington Examiner”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #41
Jim in CT

it ain’t the DNC that’s saying it, you are correct there. mostly hollywood liberals.

https://www.mrctv.org/blog/democrats...n-party-voters
Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #42
Jim in CT

and spence is right that the closeness of this race, in this district, is a good sign for the democrats chances of re-taking the house in november. .
Old 08-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #43
spence

Who says the dem lost in Ohio? He’s trailing by 1500 votes and there are still 8000 to count.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #44
Sea Dangles

Hold that thought
Old 08-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #45
detbuch

Quote:
[/COLOR]

And then, you do exactly what you accuse Trump of doing, you try to arouse fear.[/COLOR]

I would love to see and hear what is your definition far more diverse at Trumps rally means ...

I guess theres the proof ...[/QUOTE]

My definition of far more diverse in regard to Trump rallies is that the crowds are made up of the great "diversity" of the American public, not just the two cherry picked types that Spence noted.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Who says the dem lost in Ohio? He’s trailing by 1500 votes and there are still 8000 to count.
Which is why I said "apparently". Talk to your airheaded, fellow world travelers in Hollywood.

Deep thinker Alyssa Milano goes further, she thinks that the Russians (Russians!!!) manipulated the Green Party apparatus, to sabotage the Democrat's chances there. Obviously not many people listen to her, but not enough people are laughing at her, only people on my side are laughing at her. I hope she gets a prominent speaking engagement at the next democrat national convention.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

I guess theres the proof ...
My definition of far more diverse in regard to Trump rallies is that the crowds are made up of the great "diversity" of the American public, not just the two cherry picked types that Spence noted.[/QUOTE]

"Status threat, not economic hardship, explains the 2016 presidential vote"
And here is the research paper, with the who and why
http://www.pnas.org/content/115/19/E4330

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #48
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
Great Election season, another round of pointless arguments that will upset people destroy friendships and help us all focus intenly about what is wrong with America. Trump sucks, Dems suck. Meanwhile this great country and people chug in oblivious to the hacks (both parties) that we foolishly elect. Until we have term limits and break up the lobysists and legal insider trading nothing will change.

Quote:
Kasich? Hahaha - you wouldn't have voted for him ; ) In the General? You would have voted for Kasich over Hillary or Bernie?

I don't believe you. You posts are like Bernie is typing them for you (or has redistributed your fingers to various keys ; ) )

BTW - this uber Right Wing NearFascist right here did vote for him in the Primaries

Quote:
Which is why I said "apparently". Talk to your airheaded, fellow world travelers in Hollywood.

Deep thinker Alyssa Milano goes further, she thinks that the Russians (Russians!!!) manipulated the Green Party apparatus, to sabotage the Democrat's chances there. Obviously not many people listen to her, but not enough people are laughing at her, only people on my side are laughing at her. I hope she gets a prominent speaking engagement at the next democrat national convention.
Alyssa Milano She is like the less-smart aunt of She Guevara

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #49
spence

Quote:

How did you even hear about this?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #50
JohnR

Quote:

Probably her Twitter feed. Unfortunately she has the same Cell Phone Filters as the Pres

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Maybe cherrypicked from here, though a lot of people seized on celebrities tweets, including the head tweeter's tweets

ByS. E. Cupp @secupp

The polls closed on Tuesday evening in Ohio. Yet, as I write this, the only thing clear about Republican Troy Balderson’s slight edge over Democrat Danny O’Connor is that nothing is clear. The race for an open seat in Congress is a few hundred votes apart and still too close.

But this razor-thin, near-tie in a special election — for a seat that will be up for a vote again in November — is nevertheless a huge “trouncing,” both sides are claiming, and proof their party is sure to dominate the midterms.

Late on Tuesday night, as votes were still being counted, the Republican National Committee blasted out their congrats to Balderson, writing: “With President Trump’s support that helped lead him to victory, Troy Balderson’s win tonight is another example of the so-called ‘blue wave’ being nothing but a ripple.”

Er, no. If anything, it’s an example of unexpectedly high Democratic turnout in a district Trump won in 2016 by 11 points. And, to be clear, history, as well as nearly every predictive analysis of the midterms, suggests Republicans will perform poorly in November, particularly in the House.

But welcome to Trump’s America, where losses are wins, ties are trouncings, waves are ripples and facts matter not at all.

This kind of fact-free spin is hardly new in politics, of course. Democrats, too, spun the results as proof of a blue wave. But I was curious to see how average folks interpreted what was essentially a tie in the era of “fake news” and Trump’s “alternative facts.”

And, not surprisingly, there was blind rage and willful ignorance on both sides.

I tweeted the RNC’s statement, and noted the fact — repeat, fact — that Balderson at that time was up .9 points in a Trump +11 district.

I got replies from the left claiming that O’Connor’s likely loss was proof Republicans and Trump — who is poised to be 14 for 14 in primary endorsements — were totally owned:

Doug Johnson (@bleacherscreech) wrote: “10.9% swing in a red gerrymandered district. Whistling past the graveyard #GOP?”

Lynne Charlotte (@lynne_kern) wrote: “Looks like the ripple is in the win. The wave 🌊? NOVEMBER HERE WE COME!”

Ulsterman (@alexcoleraine) wrote: “Tsunamis start off as a ripple, until they hit the shore. Enjoy this ‘victory’ for it will be short lived!”

From the right, my mere questioning of the RNC’s dopey spin made me a Democrat:

dbg (@dbg0501) wrote, “Keep crowing about your moral victories. Whatever makes you feel good. The fact that you’d want a Pelosi running the House is quite telling.”

Others were more creative.

It was the calendar’s fault, said one.

ConservativeEsquire (@ConservEsq) wrote: “People go on vacation in August. Republicans who live in suburbs go on vacation in August.”

Still others blamed the media (of course they did).

Kevin Stuckey (@drberzerko) wrote, “I guess with 90% negative stories by your colleagues and censorship by social media it’s probably a bigger win than your pea brain can admit.”

For a few celebrities, it was all the fault of Green Party candidate Joe Manchik, whose 1,100 votes could have pushed O’Connor over the line:

Billy Eichner (@billyeichner) wrote: “Dear Green Party: Can you PLEASE wait to make your symbolic votes at a time when our government isn’t being overrun by white supremacists??? Come @ me I don’t care.”

And Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) seconded the motion: “You know what sucks? Because of our unwillingness to pass policy that protects our election integrity, I immediately think the Green Party votes tonight are Russian meddling. Why else would anyone cast a protest vote in Ohio when there’s so much at stake?”

Of course, a pungent bouillabaisse of factors could have all contributed to Tuesday’s results. But it’s still just a near tie — in one special election, in one district, in one state.

Apparently, in 2018, that means definitively that my side is kicking your side’s ass. Or just as easily, vice versa.

secuppdailynews@yahoo.com

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
I stumbled upon the link I posted. For some reason, Americans, particularly democrats, give a political platform to celebrities. You hadn't noticed that, huh?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Pete -

If anyone on the right sees this as a reason to feel better about our chances of holding the house in November, they are either lying or delusional.

The left can legitimately claim that there is good news in a close loss, if it turns out to be a close loss.

The President's party usually loses Houses seats in the first midterm, and I can easily be convinced that this President, with the help of a media that's absolutely committed to helping democrats, could be poised to lose more seats than usual. But a roaring economy, you'd think, would help to mitigate that. At the same time, the democrats really have nowhere to go but up at this point, the pendulum has to swing back to the left at some point.

As I've said, I'm fascinated to see what happens. The dems probably re-take the house, the dems probably lose a couple of senate seats, who knows what happens at the state level. Can't wait to see what happens in CT.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Because unlike you, I don't get all of my news from reading The Daily Worker and watching Al Jazeera.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #55
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Kasich? Hahaha - you wouldn't have voted for him ; ) In the General? You would have voted for Kasich over Hillary or Bernie?
I think Kasich would have pulled a lot of Clinton voters. Aside from some social issues I think they would have both governed from the middle but we wouldn't have the conservative media whining about all the Clinton scandals every day. I would have certainly considered it.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #56
spence

Quote:
Because unlike you, I don't get all of my news from reading The Daily Worker and watching Al Jazeera.
Not sure what the Daily Worker even is. As for al Jazeera, it's actually one of the biggest news organizations in the world and is known for fairly good quality reporting. I don't watch it here but often in Europe it's about the only English language news on TV other than the BBC.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think Kasich would have pulled a lot of Clinton voters. Aside from some social issues I think they would have both governed from the middle but we wouldn't have the conservative media whining about all the Clinton scandals every day. I would have certainly considered it.
Oh for Christs sake come on. Those Clinton voters were rioting at the Ohio state capital and hanging Kasich in effigy, when Kasich took a hatchet to union benefits and collective bargaining. Kasich is a union buster in the mold of Scott Walker, and had he won the nomination, the entire media would have portrayed him as hating working people.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #58
PaulS

Quote:
I stumbled upon the link I posted. For some reason, Americans, particularly democrats, give a political platform to celebrities. You hadn't noticed that, huh?
And the Repub. seem to constantly try to elect celebrities - when they can find one.

Maybe Scott Baio will run for office.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And the Repub. seem to constantly try to elect celebrities - when they can find one.

I never said the GOP forbids any interaction with Hollywood, and we have our share of idiots. But Hollywood leans way left. Way, way, way left. And the Democrats National Party does everything it can to exploit that, as the GOP would if Hollywood wasn't so homogeneously liberal.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #60
JohnR

Quote:
Hmmm - could be from the Twitters - I just looked and Lo(w) and Behold(en to weird conspiracies) and there is is:

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/st...5774552014848?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Hahaha

Apocalypse is Coming: