Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

working interview/new job

so had my working interview this weekend at a big restaurant in newport this weekend.

for those of you that have never worked in the restaurant business, its a crazy industry! long hours, no weekends off, no holidays off, your "weekend" is usually Tuesday and Wednesday which isnt a bad thing once you get use to it.

the restaurnt was a complete disaster, basically like organized confusion with a lot of running around, yelling and crying.

watched one the line cooks get into an arguement with one of the managers, he walked in the middle of lunch.

then shortly after that another line cook made a comment about the sous chefs lack of skills, they get into a screaming pissing match, he walks out.

The line had 5 people on it now down to 3, madness. it was a complete cluster f$$$, and its april and not in the busy season.

we did a 12,450 lunch!!!! again its april.

at 4 oclock i sit down with managers and go over the day, they told me that a typical saturday in the summer is about $45,000!!

They went over all the protocol, 19 pages worth, just crazy, told me that its not "usually" like this. But from what i was told by the sous chef and food vendors its always like that.

They made me an offer with was good, not great, sounded a lot better in the first interview, some things were not included like parking which they said was.

It was a lot of fluff and no filler.

I turned the offer the down and decided to take another executive chef position in Providence which includes paid parking, health and dental, house expense and two weeks paid vacation, plus a healthy pay raise.

I thanked them for the oppurtunity and wished them a lot of luck in the upcoming season, which there going to need.

The final thing was watching a waitress go running by me crying her eyes out cause she messed up an order and they yelled at her.

So glad I went and checked it out and made it easier to make the decision of which job to take.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Hookedagain

Congrats on the new job Chris, Sounds like you made the right choice. Which place are you at in Prov.?
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
tysdad115

Sounds like a reality cooking show. Congrats on the new gig.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
PaulS

It sounds like you made a good decision turning them down. If you did take the job thought, I'd eat there, tell the waitress I want to see the chef. and then say 'let's go fishing after work"
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
fishbones

Congrats on the new gig in Providence, Chris. Let me know where it is and when you're working. If you're working days, maybe we can meet up and do some fishing after work. I'll make sure to keep your new location a secret so OD Mike doesn't come down and vandalize the bathroom.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Sounds like a TV show. Congrats on the new gig
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Thanks guys.

I'm at Luxe Burger Bar in providence.

I worked there before and left on good terms.

They fired their chef and contacted me about coming back.

Offer was great and I accepted.

Nice place to work, awesome food and some eye candy too.

Place is a mad house during water fire but now that I know what to expect I'll be better prepared.

Stop by and say hello.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Congrats on the job and wise choice too. I did the crazy restaurant cooking thing years ago. Getting the waitress to cry was a symbol of strength and earned me great respect from my peers and lotsa after-work "fun" with the crying waitresses.

If you ever want to put the hectic "Anthony Bourdain" lifestyle behind you, consider healthcare cooking. Great beniifits, predictable and fishing-friendly schedule (no late nights) and way less stress. Perhaps a bit less challenging cooking-wise but you do need skilz. I did it for 8 years after 10 in the chaotic restaurant scene and now have been managing the place for more than 10 years. No regrets.

Spin

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

making waitresses cry was always a good time at the irish pub i worked at.

sending the girls to the office for the things like:

the bacon stretcher
the rice peeler
the box of steam
the eagle knife
the fish stretcher
chicken underbelly

watching the look on the managers face was always priceless.

my favorite thing to do was to 86 medium hamburgers in the middle of dinner, the poor waitress or hostess would go out and tell all the other staff that we were out of medium hamburgers, the waitresses that knew better would just shake there heads.

or making a waitress go to the table to get a temp on a veggieburger.

good times.

Ive been trying to get into the assisted living or retirement or school programs for a while, seems tough to get into.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Congrats on the new gig, I've been to Luxe and it's good and there are always babes around!

You ever see "Kitchen Nightmares" with Gordon Ramsey, sounds JUST like an episode of that show!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Congrats Chris sounds like you made the right choice,

I worked in the food service industry in the late 70's and early 80's the best part was all the drinking and drugs, those people can party hard

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
Congrats Chris sounds like you made the right choice,

I worked in the food service industry in the late 70's and early 80's the best part was all the drinking and drugs, those people can party hard
Yeah we know how to party!!

When I worked at the Irish pub I also lived two doors down above the office. My house was the after hours spot.

I remember plenty of nights going to bed when the "loser birds" where already out.

The girls in the restaurant industry are a special breed too. These are the same girls that came and wrestled at my jello party.

Good times!

STORMR Pro Staff Member
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Notfishinenuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
Yeah we know how to party!!

When I worked at the Irish pub I also lived two doors down above the office. My house was the after hours spot.

I remember plenty of nights going to bed when the "loser birds" where already out.

The girls in the restaurant industry are a special breed too. These are the same girls that came and wrestled at my jello party.

Good times!
Been there done that! Went to JW and had a lot of fun in Providence. Good luck on the new job. Sounds like you made a good choice. Providence sure has changed since I lived there. Took my youngest daughter up there to look at JW. I was lost, nothing looked the same! I could tell you some stories but John would ban me

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
zacs
D'oh

Always had a great burger at luxe the times i've been there. i will be sure to stop in and say hello one of these days.

Another option for moving from the kitchen to the 9-5 world is research chef. R&D for either food manufacturer or restaurant chain. Pays well, normal hours, typical corporate benefits, usually get to do some interesting travel, etc... if you are ever interested in making the jump, let me know.

Zac

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
chefseany

Hey Chris you forgot the left handed banana peeler and my favorite is always the bucket of steam. You need to find a job like me. Im a kosher executive chef at a summer camp that employes me all year. I have the spring, fall, and winter to screw around, its great. Im all set with insane lines and bitchy whiny wait staff!!!! Good luck in Providence its a great place. Had alot of fun there while at JWU.
chefseany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I've been trying to get into the assisted living or school programs.

Had an interview before the summer with sage dining, they do a lot of high end private schools. Didn't get the job. was kind of bummed.

Zac shoot me a pm I would love to know more.

My main issue is pay. I have a bills and need to make x dollars per week to stay afloat.

I've had other jobs that had better quality of life but paid like dirt.

Can't seem to find both......yet.