Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Chowdahead
Got Sox?

How to use herring?

Hi,
i was wondering what is the best way to use herring >?
Night or day >? Do you fish the top or the bottom with herring ?
where do you hook them ? what species will you catch with herring and can i catch herring and then use them for live bait>???

thanks

I love STRIPPAHZ
Chowdahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Rowdy
the all around best way to fish herring is live but chunks work good also. most of the time i will fish them with no weight just a circle hook and a flouro leader with a swivel. sometimes i will fish them on the same rig but with a appropriate sized egg sinker above the swivel (fishfinder rig) striped bass love em. but have cought weakfish and fluke on strips and chunks. hope this helps
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
what about pickled snacks?

Ever try those pickled herring snacks as bait?
sure - it is more expensive - but they taste better when you have to eat your bait.

Will they catch fish? Tomorrow I may know...

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
herringman

hey, I find the best way to find herring is around docks and there are loads of them around this time. Also, you can find them in estuaries and rivers but my favorite are docks, I use a sabiki rig, u can find it at your local tackle shop, and it works great. I catch sometimes 50 in a half an hour.

I like to fish them in moving water like rivers because thats where they are most abundant. Becuase of the current i usually put a one once weight on my line and use a leader-not metal is ur going for stripers(they will see it). I put the weight about 3 feet above the hook or put a "sinker-slider"on.

I find the best way to hook them is through the lips coming down from the top through the bottom, or through the eyes. I personally think it looks more natural and swims better.

This is the best bait for stripers but ull catch blues- or get ur line shredded by them- and just about anything else.

hope this was useful
herringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
vineyardblues

QUICK TIP

Them Dam fish die in 10 min ,so what we have done after they are dead is this: Take some of the shipping popcorn , stuff one in it's mouth .
With a little help from your rod tip,,twitch it every once in a while... it keeps it a loft real good..have fun!
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
fishsmith
DDG-51

Whole dead herring with no weight has worked well for me.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
fishaholic18
Finally

Are you fishing from boat or shore?
The spot I fish from boat this time of year, I three way them live with the Gami 7/0 hook beween the eyes and nose or just in front of the dorsal fin.
From the shore I use a 7/0 hooked just behind the dorsal fin (so they swim away from me) with no weight.
Good luck, but Herring are a PIA. You can do just as well with wood.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote