Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Meet & Greet Forum

Meet & Greet Forum S-B is an online Community dedicated to angling for Striped Bass. Come in, say hello and tell us a little bit about you. Thanks! Team Striped-Bass.com

Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
EricL

The Summer of "My First Keepah Stripah"

Hey everyone, a long time lurker - first time poster.

I grew up in Attleboro, MA and have been seriously targeting stripers from the surf since 2005. I'm still young, but life's little challenges - like having kids - have gotten in the way from spending more time with wet lines.

This past summer I hit up what is now my favorite stretch of beach to fish from. It's not too far out on the Cape, and it's a north facing beach so the water you're in is Cape Cod Bay.

Coming into this year - I had never caught a single keeper. My time is mostly spent chunking, throwing swimbaits like Storm Wild Eyes and rarely plugging (most of which is done at the ditch).

I had caught a fair share of schoolies and random blues - but never a keeper. After having a couple small keepers in May and early June, the stage was set as I got much more serious about my time out on the water.

In late June though, on the mentioned stretch of beach, we were pulling lines in when I heard the drag scream on my primary rod which was about ten feet away.

After what felt like a lifetime of carefully adjusting the drag, I landed what is my "once in a lifetime" fish. I don't get to go out often, and time on a boat is next to impossible for me. This fish though - measuring 44" and weighing 38.1 pounds was a beast. After quickly realizing that I'd never have an opportunity to catch a fish like this one again from the tame surf I often fish, my buddy Jeff took a photo.

I'm a believer in the responsible handling of the fishery. I'm certainly not against taking stripers home when of legal size - but I prefer to practice catch and release. Having already joined On The Water's "Striper Cup" I learned of their "Catch & Release" photo contest.

In short, one of the entries in that contest will have their photo turned into an artist's rendering and print out as a prize.

If you've got a moment, I certainly wouldn't mind having you cast a vote for my entry as the polls look to close soon: http://www.onthewater.com/wp-content...4&order=chrono

Thanks for your time, and here's to talking it up elsewhere on Striper Talk!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric_l_striper.jpg (9.3 KB, 51 views)
EricL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
clambelly

awesome story!
clambelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
EricL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambelly View Post
awesome story!
Thanks, clambelly! I'm hoping to catch more fish, more frequently - and more keepers - but anyone who spends time battling rocks for grip or with their toes in the sand knows how that whole "hope" thing works out, right?

EricL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Hookedagain

First off....welcome aboard! Enjoy the site, its a cool place to spend your spare time. Great bunch of guys that will be more than helpful with any questions you might have.

Second....good story and a great fish!! Congrats, keep us posted on your fall run fishing.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Padawan

Good catch buddy keep it up
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
fishbones

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
bassballer

nice fish man. Im also from Attleboro. AHS 2000.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
5/0
Eels

Nice story,glad to hear your your getting in to the suds and look for more bigger one's,I haven't fished the back beach's in at least 10 years....Man where dose the time go

I'm not to far from ya I live in Mansfield.
Welcome aboard,you defiantly found a "keeper" of a site a real bunch of solid guy's here with a ton worth it's weight in Gold.

5/0

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Hot Rod

Nice fish EricL, your story is similar to most everyone else who discovered striper fishing, however your life is forever changed.
Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote